Yay or nay?

There is somebody local selling his G-100 head, and from what I've read, they seem to be a pretty good solid-state good-for-jazz head, which is something that I'm interested in.

What are your guys' thoughts on this head, and what would you pay for it? I don't have a price on it from him yet.

Thanks
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
My first amp was a G100-212 mk2. I gigged with it for many years. Very loud amp and the distortion was very similar to a tubescreamer sort of sound. They were the competition for the Jazz Chorus in the day. The JC has slightly better cleans but the Yammy had better distortion. Still an excellent amp for jazz and cabaret type stuff. One of the decent solid state amps. I still have mine. I never use it (well, why would I? Look at my sig), but it's still alive
It never let me down. The reverb tank broke but that was because some idiot roady used it as a billy cart down a big long ramp. So don't do that - they are tough but they aint a billy cart.
If it's the mk2 (switchable channels and parametric EQ) be aware of one thing - the parametric level control is an oddball pot that you will not be able to replace. If that's broken, the parametric EQ is broken. Don't fall for the "it's just a $2 pot" line, it aint. The other pots are standard so don't let a scratchy pot anywhere else perturb you.

It's typical Yamaha fare - not necessarily the best, but always good. That applies to everything they do pretty much, not just music stuff.

Price? In Canada? No friggin idea, sorry.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
also had one of these back in the late 80s (with parametric eq) and it wasn't a bad amp at all.
They're a SS amp with an honest power rating. They say they're 100W and they sound like a 100W amp. I cranked mine up a while back and it's a friggin loud amp - and I'm used to big tube amps as you know. I'm glad it was my first amp. I gigged with it for around 10 years.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I had one a looong time ago and it was a great amp. The first two series were the better ones, designed by Paul Rivera himself. The second series was the true killer. Mine was a combo; a head would be very cool.

More recently, I played with someone who owns one. We plugged in my cheap-o $40 tube preamp (nothing else) and the thing sounded glorious.

The great thing about these amps is that they're so freaking cheap because they're solid state. I see them for sale for $200 or less fairly regularly.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Nov 12, 2013,
Well, I took the plunge, and for $100, I couldn't go wrong. Got a 70's footswitch (a button on top of an upside-down cup with a wire going to the amp) with it too. Seems like it has tons of headroom as well. It is in fact a mark 1, with a blank front fascia (faceplate? front?). Other than a couple little issues, which I'll cover in an upcoming NAD I'm quite happy with it.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Looking forward to seeing the NAD.
They've got headroom for days.
IIRC the power transistors are socketed on the outside of the amp with a removable screen over them. It's easier to change than a tube in some tube amps. I've owned two of these, Mk1 and 2. I tried the stereo amp thing with them for a while. I know I changed power transistors in one of them and I'm pretty sure that was the case.
Good little amp.
So the footswitch is just for the Reverb?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

So the footswitch is just for the Reverb?

From what I can tell Cathbard, there are four inputs in the back for the footswitch: one for reverb, one for tremolo, one for distortion (lawl its really like an overdrive), and one for a preset volume. I'm assuming the preset volume would be like your solo/lead volume.

I would love to build or buy a pedal with 4 input jacks and 4 buttons and be able to use all the features at once. Right now, its only one button one function, and if you want to use something else, you have switch the input jack.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
It's got tremelo? I'll wait for your NAD.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Where's the NAD? This amp sounds different to the G100's I am used to.

Come on, pull out your finger and be forthcoming with said NAD.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I cannot speak for the original G100 series, but the G100II amps were quite popular back in the 1980s. A lot of people considered them to be the first "good" solid-state amps. The parametric EQ gave you a great deal of versatility. I still see them being used today, so they must have had a solid build quality. If it is in good shape and you like the sounds you get, then go for it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
NAD is posted.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
When I was visiting a friend in LA in 1981, I went to Hollywood Guitar Center. Who do I see but my old friend and legend Tony Todaro (from Hawaii) in there. I was presently gigging in a latin band with a Twin, and had no use for another amp. Anyways, Tony pulls me aside and says I gotta check out the new Yamaha guitar amp. Sure enough, I fell in love with the Yamaha g100-212 series 2 on the spot. I plunked down $425 and took it out the door. Got rid of my twin a few years later. The Yamaha is a great amp. Loud, clean, and in my opinion the distortion is nice too. Very flexible in tone, and a little lighter than a twin. Somehow, magically, it seems to have a little sag too. Jazz cats will love this amp. As a rock amp it's very adequate. I often get tone compliments. I've had this sucker cranked and the speakers still held out. One night, on the highway, driving home from a gig, it fell out the back of my station wagon. The mid section of the circuit board cracked in 1/2 where the mounting posts supports it. I added jumpers to the two halves and the thing still works like a champ, reverb good too, and the cab survived. Amazing. As I get older and have no interests in being a collector, or the worry/heartaches/maintenance that go with it, I've sold off most of my old amps, Mint 1967 Marshall stack, and various Fenders. I now own 5 Yamaha g100's. Got each of them for $50 or $75 each. I kinda have fun collecting them. If they blow who cares? They're everywhere for dirt cheap, and sound great. My friends with their $2000 amps think I'm nuts. But dig, 90 percent of your sound will always be in your hands. Flash has never been my thing, I'm a fan of what works. Three of my purchases had a cracked circuit board, so I'd say watch out for that and know how to fix it if you can. Apparently the one spot they are sensitive to is a direct hit to the mid section by the control panel. I recently bought a g100 410 series 1, and it's great, but quite heavy. Maybe I'll post a youtube of one someday.
Things I would watch out for are scratchy pots. The pots are not standard and may be difficult to replace. Some are pull out too.
Dirty pots in the parametric eq section are very obnoxious, and scratch loudly. Other than that these amps are pretty reliable. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use one other than myself. Me like. Cheers Y'all.