Ok, so Megadeth is my favorite band, and I've been playing lead guitar for a little over 6 months now, so I'm able to play a lot of solos, but I just CANT do these pentatonics that Dave Mustaine does, well atleast the way he does them.

For example, here's a lick from the last solo to Holy Wars.

e|-----------------------------------------------|
B|-17p15p12-------12-17p15p12--12-17p15p12---|
G|--------------15-------------15-------------15|
D|-----------------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------|

I know Dave hardly uses his pinky with licks like that, and I can get the whole 17p15p12 with my first 3 fingers easily, but it's the 15 on the B that throws me off, he hits it with his middle finger after the pull off, and I've been practicing it more and more, and when I try and do it up to speed, it comes out messy as HELL! So much extra sounds and feedback. Any suggestions?

Also with Mustaine solos where the pentatonics are like this, from "Victory"

eb|--------------------------------------------------------------|
Bb|-15p12---12-15p12-15p12--12-15p12---17p12--12------------|
Gb|--------15---------------15----------------------15----------|
Db| -------------------------------------------------------------|
Ab| -------------------------------------------------------------|
Eb|--------------------------------------------------------------|

And this is repeated about 4 times, then there's some other lick, see. I can do pentatonics like this easily, but with 2 fingers. Pulling off from 15p12 with my ring finger and hitting 15 on the G with my middle finger and pulling off from 17p12 with my pinky, but Dave doesn't do it that way, he uses his middle finger for both pulling off from the 15p12 on the B string and hits the 15 on the G with the same finger, and saves his ring finger (3rd finger) for the 17p12. Which I can do, it just comes out so sloppy sounding though, mainly from the 15 on the G, leaves some feedback.

So I'm stuck in a rut, any sort of exercise I can do to help me with this type of pentatonics? Or should I just whip out my metronome? Thanks guys.

PS, sorry if the tabs up there look like crap, but if you've tried to learn a Mustaine solo, you should know what I'm talking about.
Last edited by FusedPower at Nov 12, 2013,
Hi man. If you are playing for 6 months now, trying to play Mustaine's solos at full speed is not a good idea. You need to develop much more control to do this like him. If you will try playing in the original tempo before gaining control you will teach your fingers to play sloppy. Instead going for speed, try to focus on doing these licks really clean and 100% correct, at low tempos first. Then, when you know how to play them clean, gradually speed up. Use a metronome and keep a log of your progress.

I hope it helps. You can always ask me questions on my fb fanpage
Quote by FusedPower
Ok, so Megadeth is my favorite band, and I've been playing lead guitar for a little over 6 months now, so I'm able to play a lot of solos, but I just CANT do these pentatonics that Dave Mustaine does, well atleast the way he does them.

For example, here's a lick from the last solo to Holy Wars.

e|-----------------------------------------------|
B|-17p15p12-------12-17p15p12--12-17p15p12---|
G|--------------15-------------15-------------15|
D|-----------------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------|

I know Dave hardly uses his pinky with licks like that, and I can get the whole 17p15p12 with my first 3 fingers easily, but it's the 15 on the B that throws me off, he hits it with his middle finger after the pull off, and I've been practicing it more and more, and when I try and do it up to speed, it comes out messy as HELL! So much extra sounds and feedback. Any suggestions?

Also with Mustaine solos where the pentatonics are like this, from "Victory"

eb|--------------------------------------------------------------|
Bb|-15p12---12-15p12-15p12--12-15p12---17p12--12------------|
Gb|--------15---------------15----------------------15----------|
Db| -------------------------------------------------------------|
Ab| -------------------------------------------------------------|
Eb|--------------------------------------------------------------|

And this is repeated about 4 times, then there's some other lick, see. I can do pentatonics like this easily, but with 2 fingers. Pulling off from 15p12 with my ring finger and hitting 15 on the G with my middle finger and pulling off from 17p12 with my pinky, but Dave doesn't do it that way, he uses his middle finger for both pulling off from the 15p12 on the B string and hits the 15 on the G with the same finger, and saves his ring finger (3rd finger) for the 17p12. Which I can do, it just comes out so sloppy sounding though, mainly from the 15 on the G, leaves some feedback.

So I'm stuck in a rut, any sort of exercise I can do to help me with this type of pentatonics? Or should I just whip out my metronome? Thanks guys.

PS, sorry if the tabs up there look like crap, but if you've tried to learn a Mustaine solo, you should know what I'm talking about.

Don't do what Dave does. He's a good enough player but his technique is poor.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by daniel.kPL
Hi man. If you are playing for 6 months now, trying to play Mustaine's solos at full speed is not a good idea. You need to develop much more control to do this like him. If you will try playing in the original tempo before gaining control you will teach your fingers to play sloppy. Instead going for speed, try to focus on doing these licks really clean and 100% correct, at low tempos first. Then, when you know how to play them clean, gradually speed up. Use a metronome and keep a log of your progress.

I hope it helps. You can always ask me questions on my fb fanpage

Cool, cool! It's not that lead is hard for anything for me or anything, I can play the Friedman solos fine, it's just that Mustaine has a weird way of playing lol, and being the fanboy I am, I try to play like him. But yeah, that's a great a great suggestion, I'll have to bust the metronome out. Thanks for the advice, I'll deff' check out your page.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Don't do what Dave does. He's a good enough player but his technique is poor.

I actually agree, lol. He's a great guitarist, but his playing is very sloppy.
Gotta admire your gusto dude, 6 months in and trying to master mustaines solo's!

Sloppy or not he's my second favourite guitar player in the world, love his style

Keep up the good work but defo slow it down play it over and over till you've licked it then when you try it upto speed you'll probably find it just works. I made this mistake for years - tried to learn everything at full speed, cause that's how it sounds you know, it held me back by years and I'm now relearning to get rid of the bad habits I picked up
Quote by Silord1
Gotta admire your gusto dude, 6 months in and trying to master mustaines solo's!

Sloppy or not he's my second favourite guitar player in the world, love his style

Keep up the good work but defo slow it down play it over and over till you've licked it then when you try it upto speed you'll probably find it just works. I made this mistake for years - tried to learn everything at full speed, cause that's how it sounds you know, it held me back by years and I'm now relearning to get rid of the bad habits I picked up

Well, I've just been playing lead for 6 months, I've been playing guitar in general for about 3 years. I started off using Lick Library to enhance and master my lead skills, techniques, etc. Practice scales all the time, thing's that a growing guitarist needs. Good ol' vitamin G-uitar lol, and I've played and mastered other solos, it's just these Mustaine type solos are killing me lol. I think my problem is I try to not use my pinky as much as I can, like Mustaine, but my hands aren't that big and my fingers aren't that long, so it gets difficult up on the lower frets. Thanks for the info man, yeah like I said before, I had to break out my handy-dandy metronome and start at like 65 bpm, but it works and i'm satisfied. Yeah, DM is one of my main influences in guitar, so when I say sloppy, I mean that in the least disrespectful way possible. Thanks for the info guys! You all rock!
PUSH YOURSELF BRO YOU CAN DO IT.

It is good to develop technique, but also try things that are way outside your comfort zone. It keeps playing exciting and gives you something to look forward to to.
trying to do that with just 3 fingers might be a viable method, but its not a good one. just because mustaine does alot of those licks with three fingers, doesnt necessarily make it good. train your pinky.

the way Id approach this lick is with 2 string sweeping. its an easy enough thing to learn for beginners. basically downpick g string, (with this same momentum) downpick B string, then up pick the higher note, pull off, then repeat.

mustaine doesnt do it this way though. he tried to pick every note without caring about cleanness.

another thing to look out for is that 12th fret. the harmonic at that fret is a annoying to get used to and learn to mute effectively. it is likely whats creating all the feedback noise.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
That's quite a good point and raises a good question: why are you so intent on playing it like the man himself - if you can play it easier a different way then surely do it that way.

That said I spent a long time learning to riff with all down strokes cause that's how the mighty hetfield plays... **** it, who am I to judge!