Hey there, folks.

So I'm currently trying to get better at playing lead guitar and I've come across these a lot.

I already figured out how to sweep pick two note arpeggios and make them sound pretty clean (they sound pretty good for the time I put into them). But there is one kind I just can't improve upon. In this example it would be the E(sus4) arpeggio where the index finger is responsible for two strings at the same time. I just can't figure out a way to mute the B string after picking it and so the whole thing just won't sound clean. I've tried using the picking hand to mute it but that won't work so I gave up on it and tried concentrating on the left hand, i. e. the index finger, to no avail.

Is it just a timing thing or am I doing something wrong?
You have to use either rolling technique or mute with right hand. Don't worry these shapes are harder for most.
Quote by iduno871
I ask you this: Why does the index finger have to cover 2 strings? why not use your middle finger on the e strings, and your index finger on the B string, and your pinky for the 7th fret?

This works fine up to maybe the 12th fret depending on your finger size but above that you need a plan B. I would use index on e string though and middle on b string so you can augment it to the g string with index finger again without changing fingering.
Last edited by Facecut at Nov 12, 2013,
Quote by iduno871
I ask you this: Why does the index finger have to cover 2 strings? why not use your middle finger on the e strings, and your index finger on the B string, and your pinky for the 7th fret?

Nah, that won't work. The picture was just for illustration, the actual arpeggio in the solo I'm trying to learn is 9 pulloff to 5 on the E string and then 5 on the B. My hand doesn't stretch like that.

Thanks for the answers though, I'm gonna look into that rolling technique a bit more, maybe I can find a video to give me some pointers. I guess it's practice, practice, practice.
Someone here said "rolling technique" . I suppose this is what i do and it is a little tricky to explain without showing it.
But here is a try? Have you ever been asked to leave your finger print somewhere for ID or something. You dip it in some ink and than press on paper but rolling your finger slightly to and fro so that the whole surface of your finger tip is 'printed'.
That's what you do with your index finger (or any other for that matter) you roll it slightly and in doing so apply more or less pressure on different strings thus allowing them to vibrate or not
I thought it was something along those lines.

Well, time to pick up the guitar and start practicing.