The end of the year is approaching, and there have been some great albums out this year. What has everyone loved,despised, and thought was absolutely mediocre.

My picks:
Good:Altered State (Tesseract), Wrongdoers(Norma Jean) or One Of Us is the Killer (Dillinger Escape Plan).
Bad:Fashionably Late(Falling in Reverse). That is self explanatory, a drill to the ears is more preferable
Mediocre:Scar The Martyr (Self Titled), Temper Temper (Bullet for my Valentine)

Honours to Asymmetry(Karnivool), The Catalyst Fire (Dead Letter Circus), Sempiternal (Bring Me The Horizon) and Tomorrow We Die Alive (Born of Osiris)
Loved:
Altered State (Tesseract)
Volition (Protest The Hero)
Disrepair (Sensory Amusia)

If you can get your hands on Disrepair, do it. It's a local band, and it's a really original mix of 7 string guitar (only 1 guitarist), 6 string bass, and amazing lyrics. Haven't heard anything like it.

Bad:
Tomorrow We Die Alive (Born of Osiris)

I'm sorry, but their previous effort was better. The only thing that made this album great was the production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0k5LjiPezc
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Last edited by Mind_Reader7 at Nov 12, 2013,
Loved;

Tesseract - Altered State
Heart of a Coward - Severance

Disappointed in;

Korn - the Paradigm Shift
Alter Bridge - Fortress (Apart from Lover)
Deaf Havana - Old Souls

which is kind of s**t as I love all three of those bands.

BUT looking forward to Monte pittman's album early next year and possibly releases from Cilice and Rise Against!
Loved:

...Like Clockwork - QOTSA
Fortress - Alter Bridge
Volition - Protest the Hero

Disappointed in:

13 - Black Sabbath (if I never have to hear God Is Dead again, I might honestly become religious)
Dream Theater - Dream Theater
Hail to the King - Avenged Sevenfold (not really a huge fan to start, but I could at least get somewhat into their other cds, this was just boring to me)

Side note, why all the love for Tesseract's album? Granted I'm not the biggest fan of 'Djent' metal but I gave it a fair listen and while I didn't hate it I just couldn't see where all the hype was coming from.
Sunbather - Deafheaven
Wrongdoers - Norma Jean
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Tesseract's Altered State is actually the only album I have on my PC from 2013 but other than that there has been Plini's "Other Things" and "Sweet Nothings" as well as Vildhjarta's "Thousands of Evils" which are both very good.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
My vote goes to Fates Warning - Darkness In A Different Light. It's been spinning in my player (yes, I still play discs directly ) almost non-stop.

On the lower end of the scale, Dream Theater's self-titled was meh. I was expecting to be blown away, but instead it just sits on my shelf begging for even a third spin... which I keep putting off.
Last edited by DaFjory at Nov 12, 2013,
Guess I shouldn't be terribly surprised that most albums mentioned so far are metal (not that there's anything wrong with it)
Just some stuff off the top of my head that I've loved.

Daft Punk- Random Access Memories
The National- Trouble Will Find Me
Arcade Fire- Reflektor
The Knife- Shaking the Habitual
Connan Mockasin- Caramel
Protest the Hero, ERRA, and Hands Like Houses did good this year. Mayday Parade was a disappointment; their self-title is far better.
Last edited by Lifesign at Nov 13, 2013,
Quote by mattgreen2205
Loved;

Tesseract - Altered State
Heart of a Coward - Severance

Disappointed in;

Korn - the Paradigm Shift
Alter Bridge - Fortress (Apart from Lover)
Deaf Havana - Old Souls

which is kind of s**t as I love all three of those bands.

BUT looking forward to Monte pittman's album early next year and possibly releases from Cilice and Rise Against!

Long Forgotten Songs was great, but technically not an album. Cult from Bayside is going to steal all my time and money next year though.
Quote by DaFjory
My vote goes to Fates Warning - Darkness In A Different Light. It's been spinning in my player (yes, I still play discs directly ) almost non-stop.

On the lower end of the scale, Dream Theater's self-titled was meh. I was expecting to be blown away, but instead it just sits on my shelf begging for even a third spin... which I keep putting off.

The self titled was my first introduction to Dream Theater, and I liked it. It had some problems, but I overlooked them. I'm quite young and have only been listening and playing metal for about a year now, so I've missed out on their older stuff that I should check out.
Quote by HardRock369
Loved:

...Like Clockwork - QOTSA
Fortress - Alter Bridge

Disappointed in:

13 - Black Sabbath (if I never have to hear God Is Dead again, I might honestly become religious)
Dream Theater - Dream Theater
Hail to the King - Avenged Sevenfold (not really a huge fan to start, but I could at least get somewhat into their other cds, this was just boring to me)

Side note, why all the love for Tesseract's album? Granted I'm not the biggest fan of 'Djent' metal but I gave it a fair listen and while I didn't hate it I just couldn't see where all the hype was coming from.

I listened to it as a straight prog album, and adored it. I am a new fan of metal, so that might explain things, but my taste in prog are bands like Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus, Born of Osiris(?) and Scar Symmetry. I liked the new Dream Theatre album, but it was my first by them so I can't compare it to much else.
Russian Circles - Memorial
Metallica - Through the Never (OST)

Quote by mattgreen2205
BUT looking forward to Monte pittman's album early next year

same here!
The Cult: Electric Peace
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by WCPhils
Sunbather - Deafheaven

(I liked Wrongdoers too, but Volition and Sunbather are both in my top 3 and I think Wrongdoers is like ~30-40 on my list currently.)

Also have some of you guys seriously only listened to like 5 albums this year?
Quote by auzzietaco
The self titled was my first introduction to Dream Theater, and I liked it. It had some problems, but I overlooked them. I'm quite young and have only been listening and playing metal for about a year now, so I've missed out on their older stuff that I should check out.

Definitely check out Awake, Train of Thought if you're more into metal