hi guys

i am striving to improve my technique etc and the lessons and advice on this website is great, but i also wanted to know if any of you guys have used any Troy Stetina books.

just wondering if they have helped your playing / technique

the book im more referring to are Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar

thanks
Quote by GWADanny
hi guys

i am striving to improve my technique etc and the lessons and advice on this website is great, but i also wanted to know if any of you guys have used any Troy Stetina books.

thanks

Yes Troy Stetina is a very good teacher and his books are very well put together and serious value for money.Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar is considered by many the holy grail in lead guitar technique even though there are tons of books and vids on the subject.I also have it and i can certainly tell you that if you follow it to the letter and not halfass through it,you ll improve your technique immensly.

You ll hear a lot of folks telling you that all the info presented there is available on the net for free and that you dont need to get it to learn and that is partially true but they always forget that getting a book like that you are getting a methodology of studying,plus the right exercises in the right order while aquiring the right mindset....thats why is better to get a book like that first and study it(which by the way you cant outgrow) so you ll get a solid foundation technique wise .
Quote by Dreamdancer11
Yes Troy Stetina is a very good teacher and his books are very well put together and serious value for money.Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar is considered by many the holy grail in lead guitar technique even though there are tons of books and vids on the subject.I also have it and i can certainly tell you that if you follow it to the letter and not halfass through it,you ll improve your technique immensly.

You ll hear a lot of folks telling you that all the info presented there is available on the net for free and that you dont need to get it to learn and that is partially true but they always forget that getting a book like that you are getting a methodology of studying,plus the right exercises in the right order while aquiring the right mindset....thats why is better to get a book like that first and study it(which by the way you cant outgrow) so you ll get a solid foundation technique wise .

thats good to know. i bough a few of his books when i decided to start playing the guitar this being one of them and fretboard mastery. they all seem to be well laid out and he has a goog knowledge.

its good to know his books will help as i dont have a teacher and trying to self learn haha
yeah the stetina books are pretty good

the only thing i'd say is, if you're only starting out, they get difficult quite quickly (at least, the ones I've read). If you want a more basic book which will lead you through things maybe a little more slowly with a less steep learning curve, there might be better options.

but yeah they're pretty good and you can do a lot worse.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hello, I have Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics. I would like to know how to practice that book, I mean how to devote time to each exercise/section?
Quote by GWADanny
hi guys

thanks

I bought Speed Mechanics when i first started out back in '02 and still go back to it to this day. if you follow the advice and actually focus on each section you will get a lot of mileage out of it.