Hello guys. I've been wanting a nice clean amp for metal cleans and I've learned that a fair amount of metal bands use the Roland JC-120 amp for their clean tones. however, I don't have ANY room in my bedroom studio for another amp. So this begs the question: Is there any rackmount gear that I can get that will achieve (or come close to achieving) the clean tones of the JC-120? I could always add a Boss CE-5 or something if the chorus isn't the same.

Cheers
Carl
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
The big unique feature on the JC-120 is the stereo chorus. I never found that the cleans alone were all that amazing. I think you could do fine with any reasonably good stereo power amp and a clean preamp. If you're using EMGs I wonder if you could even just plug into a stereo chorus and then straight into the power amp. Might sound fine just like that.
I am mainly using it for recording so If I was to get some sort of stereo chorus pedal (like the ce-2) and plugged each output into a separate input into my interface, would that get a similar sound?

I know it's about recording, but I thought it was more gear related, so I posted here :P
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
For recording I'd just get that rackmount POD unit. Stereo chorus, an actual JC120 model, and no point in getting a power amp if you're just plugging into an interface. That's what all those metal guys are using these days anyway, that or the Axe-Fx but that's pretty expensive.

Or you could just get a generic clean tone with whatever you have now and add stereo chorus offset a few milliseconds on one channel with whatever recording rig you're currently using. Not exactly the same but it won't cost anything.
try an effect processor like the tc electronic g-major 2 which is what kirk uses with his randalls.
Quote by Roc8995
For recording I'd just get that rackmount POD unit. Stereo chorus, an actual JC120 model, and no point in getting a power amp if you're just plugging into an interface. That's what all those metal guys are using these days anyway, that or the Axe-Fx but that's pretty expensive.

Or you could just get a generic clean tone with whatever you have now and add stereo chorus offset a few milliseconds on one channel with whatever recording rig you're currently using. Not exactly the same but it won't cost anything.

^this
The JC amps come in head format. JC120H, and I think there's probably some lower wattage variants as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just get a smaller version of it like a JC55.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
The bigger cubes do a fairly good job of replicating the JC sound.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Roc8995
The big unique feature on the JC-120 is the stereo chorus. I never found that the cleans alone were all that amazing.
Pretty much what I thought about them. Try to find an Alesis Midiverb, I had a Midiverb 4 and it had more modulation effects (chorus, delay, reverb, etc) and settings that I could ever use. They're a stereo unit and are underrated thanks to all the modelers and such coming out now.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
i really love mu musicman 212hd 130 watter. IMHO better cleans than a JC, but not the chorus. its hybrid with a SS preamp and tube poweramp, however it has a decent tremolo and Reverb. i don't use it much, paid under $400 from CL. its heavey, but it sounds good.

but i will pick up a JC120 and twin someday.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've taken a look at the Line 6 pod range. I used to have a PodXT Live and hated it, even though back when I had it, I never even tried the cleans much. You can get the PodXT Pro at a pretty decent price second hand where I live, but does anyone know if it's worth waiting until the HD comes down or will there be little different in clean tones?
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
The HD destroys the XT in terms of attack and response (the stuff that makes amps feel real).

That said, do you need the Pro? You can probably just use the Bean and be happy, unless you need it to play out or something?

EDIT: Used one here for $260 BIN: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line6-POD-HD-Desktop-bean-zero-use-/161150899077?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2585579385

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 17, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
The HD destroys the XT in terms of attack and response (the stuff that makes amps feel real)

Does that include clean tones too? Is it THAT different in terms of cleans?

Obviously I could and probably use the lackluster gain tones as scratch tracks however.
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Quote by NateCochrane93
am I the only one who thinks the jc120 sounds really thin? almost a little too piercing

No, but the majority of people like its tone so it's a moot point to argue.

Quote by Carl21221
Does that include clean tones too? Is it THAT different in terms of cleans?

Obviously I could and probably use the lackluster gain tones as scratch tracks however.

I guess if you're specifically after the SS clean tone, an XT could get you where you want. I was going to say, the HD is much more lush and dynamic, but since that's not what you're going for, the XT might do that for you for a good price too.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by NateCochrane93
am I the only one who thinks the jc120 sounds really thin? almost a little too piercing

depends on guitar and set up. I use a non chambered gibby les paul on the neck pickup with a heap of reverb so it really helps me cut if anything.
I would not look to use a bridge pickup on a strat or something through it though, then yeah i would agree with you but for my situation it is awesome.
Quote by NateCochrane93

Yeah, the JC120 has pretty terrible cleans. I used to think otherwise until hearing some jazz amps. Then again I use an Evans amplifier which is in a completely different league when it comes to clean sounds.