On Saturday I saw Evil Scarecrow and 'Dr. Rabid Hell' was using an interesting looking multi-fx. I wasn't sure what it was until yesterday, when I saw the same pedal in Total Guitar. It turns out to be the Zoom G5. What are your thoughts on this pedal?
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
I rarely use a wah so I didn't bother with the g5 but Ive had the g3 for a couple years and I love it. All of the features are extremely easy to use, it sounds good through headphones and it seems pretty durable. I use mine for quiet practice but its gotten quite a bit of use since I bought it.

I would NOT recommend it for gigging.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I rarely use a wah so I didn't bother with the g5 but Ive had the g3 for a couple years and I love it. All of the features are extremely easy to use, it sounds good through headphones and it seems pretty durable. I use mine for quiet practice but its gotten quite a bit of use since I bought it.

I would NOT recommend it for gigging.

Fair enough. How come you don't recommend it for gigging?
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
The G5 is a nice box. It has the independent stomp setup where you can put any stomp anywhere including multiples of the same type. That is a feature shared by the much more expensive HD500. It has a looper synced to a drum machine. That's pretty hard to find outside the G3/G5.

The drawback to gigging is the footswitches don't allow as flexible patch changing as the HD500 or RP1000. Other than that they're fine.
I've had mine for a couple months and it doesn't sound bad, has a ton of features and is a solid recording interface.

Admittedly I haven't gotten the tones I'm looking for out of it, but this could just be me needing to play with it more.
Often in ones madness resides genius. Thus for a mind seeped in madness, the imagination is limitless.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Fair enough. How come you don't recommend it for gigging?

Cause it gives any amp a cheap multifx tone. Maybe it works for some but it sounds horrible to me. Even with no fx on it tints tone in a bad way.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Cause it gives any amp a cheap multifx tone. Maybe it works for some but it sounds horrible to me. Even with no fx on it tints tone in a bad way.

I gig with my G3

I only use it in my amp's loop for occasional modulation & delay though, never for drive.

Yes the effects on it are digital and not as good as if you spend loads of money on quality separate pedals, but they're generally pretty good. For the occasional stuff you don't want to make a major investment in it does an excellent job.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud