Hey guys, i'm looking to invest in Studio Monitors, i've been going too long without any.

I'd like to get the best i can cheap obviously. But from what i've seen so far it looks like i'll be spending at $300. Which is ok, i just want to make sure what i'm getting is worth it.
I have a Presonus Audio Interface and a Headphone amp. I'd like to be able to have the speakers ready to connect to an iPod easily. So whatever adapter cables or anything i will need will be fine too.

I've looked into these three so far.
http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-BX5-D2-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B005F3H6Q8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-PMO-4n-Powered-Studio-Monitor/dp/B004ACLQT8

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/product-description/B0051WAM64

Doing many different genres in recording, most rock and chilled music. Also some rap and hip hop. Guitar, bass, electric drums, keyboard (midi) and vocals.

Any suggestions would be great, i'm looking for something that will last and give me what i need. The room they'll be in is 15X7 so its not too big. May invest in a subwoofer in the far future. Thanks!
Ibanez K-5 Fieldy Signature
Ernie Ball SUB Series Sterling Stingray 4
Yorkville XC115 Bass Cab(w/head)

"It's better to burn out than fade away"
-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain
Is there any urgency, or do you mind saving a little longer?

If you can save a little longer, your options really start to open up.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'd look for a pair of krk rokits or behringer truths. Both should be able to be had at least used in your budget (I think). I'd probably aim at the 6" models.

Otherwise Equator D5's if you can stretch your budget a bit.

I don't like m-audio's monitors.
RIP Gooze

cats
Thanks for all the feedback! Now i know i should really look into it more. Keep suggestions coming! I'm going to do my best to save up, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Currently i'm using some old computer speakers with way enhanced bass, so anything new will be an update.

Also i am just looking to balance out pretty good quality demos with all that. So whatever you guys suggest best in my situation.

-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain
Last edited by FedEx8 at Nov 12, 2013,
Currently looking at KRK and the Behringer Truth's as suggested.
Is 5 or 6 inch lacking in bass for home recording? or is 8 just really awesome?

Edit : Definitely now the JBL LSR305....

-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain
Last edited by FedEx8 at Nov 13, 2013,
8" is ideal, if your room is big enough. My 6" drivers start killing my room with the volume turned to about 2.

That, and if I had 8" drivers, I'd have to physically move one of them to get into a closet.

I'd be wary of anything less than 6".

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

I have change my attitude on studio monitors I use to be all save up buy the best But that was when I only had a pair of Yamaha HS50m studio monitors 70 watts ( I was truly MIND blowing how good there are compare the my old bose stereo or Carver 300 Watt with PA speakers I was using.

but then got a pair of Ikey cheap 8" monitors for less then half the price of the Yamaha's and there 100 watts so Thought,.. hey at worst I can play guitar thought them.

and to compare.. IT's very hard to decide maybe yeah i would say the Yamaha's are alittle better but if I done a blind test ..honestly I would have a hard time telling the difference !!

I think the room and where I'm standing in that room would make alot of difference .

if you can compare in a store and listen yeah use your ears
but don't uses the price tag to judge the quality.
Last edited by T4D at Nov 13, 2013,
T4D - Try this, though.... Take one of your projects and copy it. Mix it once using the Yamahas, then wait a few days and mix it again using the Ikey speakers, whatever they are. Then compare the mixes. You might surprise yourself.

That said, what you say has a lot of truth about the room. I *have* good monitors. In a bad room, they were still basically useless to me for trying to mix anything. I might as well have been using a cheap pair of bookshelf speakers. Good monitors are not the solution. They are *part* of the solution.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
T4D - Try this, though.... Take one of your projects and copy it. Mix it once using the Yamahas, then wait a few days and mix it again using the Ikey speakers, whatever they are. Then compare the mixes. You might surprise yourself.

CT

I have both setup from my mixer, Yamaha's are main, the Ikey's are control room I can flick between with a single push of a button .

set to the same volume level YEAH there is a minor difference but to say which is better ... ? again I may prefer the Yamaha's but I could see other preferring the Ikey and I would not argue with there opinion.

And if you gave me or anyone a blind test I feel that it would not be a clear Yamaha victory. the cheap China monitors with More Wattage are NOT Bad at all and extremely good value.

specially when the room will effect what you hear far more then $200 or more spent on the next model up or brand of studio monitors.
I don't doubt any of that, but what I'm suggesting is that, when put to actual use in mixing, the cumulative effect of using one over the other may be significant.

Taking a mix from start to finish on one set of speakers, compared to taking that same mix from start to finish on another set of speakers may yield surprising results.

I'll liken it to this....

If I plug a mic in and record something with my Steinberg/Yamaha preamps, and then plug a mic in and record something with my Behringer preamps (yes, I do have some... the ADA8000 is a decent secondary unit), the difference between the two is really not all that remarkable.

However, if I record 16 tracks with the Behringer preamps, I'll fight like hell to get the mix where I want it, whereas if I record 16 tracks with the Steinberg/Yamaha preamps, the project will pretty much mix itself. The difference is not in the "single listen", but in the cumulative effect of actual practice.

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 15, 2013,