Greetings folks,

So I am going from an peavy vypyr 75w to an AXE FX 2. I have obviously heard the AXE in action and it sounds the tits! Thing is I have never heard nor tried a high end amp/modeler in real life. I don't know about the ''feel'' of a tube amp. The best shit I've have tried is honestly my vypyr, compared to the amps from my school it is a beast indeed. What can I expect? Put in words, how is it going to sound better? And feel?

While we are at it, recommend me some monitors

Oh I play metal ofc
Axe FX through monitors? Better get a power amp and a cab m8.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
moved to GG&A
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
If I may just comment on the tube amp "feel" thing. If you are cranking the gain on a tube amp with metal then there isn't a real noticeable difference between a tube amp and a good SS amp in terms of feel. It's when you are playing on the edge of breakup where picking softly is clean and picking hard distorts that you notice the difference in feel - and then it's substantial.

As for the real difference with Vyper vs AxeFX I'll leave that to those that actually use them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just wondering, why are you getting one without knowing how to use it/What you need with it?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Just wondering, why are you getting one without knowing how to use it/What you need with it?

probably cause he can....
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by Carrot

Nothing indicated either of those points, TS knows he needs monitors and he was simply asking what to expect sound wise.

TS: while I don't own an Axe FX, I did own an Eleven Rack, which is somewhere in between the Vypyr and Axe. The feel thing it is hard to say, I have heard that the Eleven does low gain better than the Axe so it might not be fair, but I would say it gets 90% of the way there. You will notice on a lot of old school models that the breakup (like Cath was saying) just isn't quite as responsive to playing subtleties. It definitely will be better than the Vypyr, but by how much? Hard to say.

The sound in general will be a huge jump. Much more accurate, clear and "better."

As far as monitors, really depends on your price range
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by pjuckazz

So I am going from an peavy vypyr 75w to an AXE FX 2. I have obviously heard the AXE in action and it sounds the tits! Thing is I have never heard nor tried a high end amp/modeler in real life.

While we are at it, recommend me some monitors

The Axe FX does a very decent job of modeling a number of amps, FX and cabs. So does the Pod HD series. It's unlikely that you would hear the difference between them until you develop a much more sophisticated ear -- think of the FX as a sort of "boutique" modeler compared to the Pod in much the same way that a Two Rock is a boutique tube amp compared to a production Marshall. You get to spend a LOT of extra money for a tiny increment of difference. I have an Axe-FX Ultra and a selection of Pods (from XT through HD) -- and I have about 15 tube amps. That's my basis for comparison. All good.

You'll find that the Axe-FX has a LOT of fiddly bits that you'll probably never wade into (at a guess you're likely -- as are most new users -- to dial up some of the presets and go with those for a good long while).

I'm not sure what you mean by "monitors." I use a number of output devices with my modelers. I have AKG 240 headphones (Sony 7506's, BeyerDynamic 770s and Sennheiser 280's are in that ballpark) for quiet practice. I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8's for nearfield (within about 6') practice; they're fairly neutral. I've got three Atomic Reactors (see below). I have a pair of fEARless F115s (google them) and a 1500W stereo solid state power amp for those gigs where you're mostly running just vocals through the PA and your bandmates are a gorilla drummer, another guitar player with a full Marshall stack, a bass player with one or more 810 cabs. And then there are those gigs where everything runs through the PA and you've either got IEMs (now we're back to headphones) or a wedge monitor that will tell you what's going on.

If you want something pretty versatile to practice through and you've got an excess of money, consider contacting the Fractal Folks and having them ship you one of the Atomic Reactor CLR coaxial powered speakers designed recently by Jay Mitchell specifically for the Axe-FX (and other modelers): http://www.atomicamps.com/

. Otherwise, there are a number of other similar powered monitors, including the QSC K8, K10 and K12, all of which can be used on speaker stands or as a floor wedge, all of which have sufficient power to allow gigging as well.

Last edited by dspellman at Nov 13, 2013,