Page 1 of 2
Been considering applying for one.

Scared as shit though. Foreclosures and what not.

So Pit, Adult Time, who's got a mortgage and how do you feel about it?
lol, broke as ****, living on touring money and record sales (jack shit) and what little money I make from teaching guitar and working at a retail store part time, yeah sure i can totally afford a house mate.

nah, I'm ****ing with you. that shit is true, but yeah, no I could never afford a house. not sure I would buy one if I could though, mortgages are kind of like selling your soul
banned
I don't even have a phone contract
don't want to have my name in writing
that way they can't trace you
unless they use google and find thousands of posts on a guitar forum
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by deadsmileyface
lol, broke as ****, living on touring money and record sales (jack shit) and what little money I make from teaching guitar and working at a retail store part time, yeah sure i can totally afford a house mate.

nah, I'm ****ing with you. that shit is true, but yeah, no I could never afford a house. not sure I would buy one if I could though, mortgages are kind of like selling your soul

Yep. Yep. Yep. Exactly what it feels like.
I paid off my mortgage about 10 years ago.

It's a hovel, but it's MY hovel.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Nov 12, 2013,
Got one since last May. It feels better to pay a mortgage than rent...
I got one, and while it can be pricey there are advantages. You aren't throwing away your money on rent, and you get huge tax returns when you buy one here in the USA (like several thousand dollars).

I just like having a house - I live a bit further from fun shit than my friends in apartments do, but its nice having a room for music, a yard, just space in general.
Advantages outweight the disadvantages.

You're basically still paying rent, but you own the place after you pay it off. Definitely go for it if you've got your finances in order.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
I have an expensive car that I'm going to be paying for for the next 3 years, that's KINDA like a mini mortgage, I guess.
I'm 22, I got one since June. Beautiful little house, and the fun part is I can do whatever the **** I want with it, so basically the basement is my band's jam place...I would say if you think you can make a decent living while paying a mortgage, go for it. But if you think you'll live on a too tight budget and will be deprived, wait a lil longer and save some more money til you're ready. G'luck with that!
Yes, i have one. Doesn't stress me out. Better than paying rent.
My God, it's full of stars!
Yep, bought a house a few years ago. Like most others are saying here, it's a much better alternative to throwing money at rent for years on end (assuming you have the financial security to weather a layoff or other unforeseen necessary expenditures). Obviously it'd be a terrible idea to buy more than you're able to afford. If you're approved for up to $200,000, you sure as hell better not be spending $200,000.

But building equity is a wonderful thing if you're able.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Last edited by wyldething at Nov 12, 2013,
Quote by macashmack
When I buy my home I'm going to pay for the whole thing at once.

Honestly, that's not necessarily the greatest idea. Unless you have the money come in all at once (inheritance, lottery, etc) you're really diminishing your ability to invest in things like retirement (which will yield much higher returns than any savings plan would).

Interest rates on mortgages, while rising, are still stupidly low. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having debt, especially "good" debt like a mortgage that you can afford.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by wyldething
Honestly, that's not necessarily the greatest idea. Unless you have the money come in all at once (inheritance, lottery, etc) you're really diminishing your ability to invest in things like retirement (which will yield much higher returns than any savings plan would).

Interest rates on mortgages, while rising, are still stupidly low. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having debt, especially "good" debt like a mortgage that you can afford.

I didn't know that. Thanks
I'm 19 and I switch between two cities like 4-5 times a year. No thank you

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I have an expensive car that I'm going to be paying for for the next 3 years, that's KINDA like a mini mortgage, I guess.

Wait what how are you back
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

>sees user
>checks date to make sure this isn't a necro thread
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Mortgage actually means death-deal.

Hell no I don't have one. I'm irresponsible as **** and can barely pay my rent which is absurdly cheap.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I do not. I do, however, have a mustache.
It's not that impressive.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Your average pit-dweller has probably only just been given his own set of keys for his parents' house, let alone a mortgage.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
Your average pit-dweller has probably only just been given his own set of keys for his parents' house, let alone a mortgage.

What do you think the average age of the Pit really is?

Excluding the outliers like jackal and eastwinn
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Yeah, I have a mortgage. One of the best things I did for myself to be honest.

Just don't go in over your head. I get awfully tired of people who bought a house they couldn't afford crying about their mortgage.
Quote by eGraham
What do you think the average age of the Pit really is?

Excluding the outliers like jackal and eastwinn

average age of the pit? 16. I'd bet a lot of money on it. we should really take a tally of this. if any mods read this, you should open a stickied poll so we can see what kind of demographic we're dealing with here.
Yep. Girlfriend and I bought a house over a year ago. It's pretty cheap as we have a 2 bedroom house and we got it on her staff rate as she works at the building society.

Felt a little young buying a house at 22 but it's been over a year now and working out great. As others have said, it's better than throwing money away on rent and paying someone else's mortgage.
*parp*
within the next year i'll be attempting to get one. tbh, if you buy a place at the right price it's cheaper than rent. especially since i'll be getting a condo so association fees cover all the upkeep and some of the utilities.
#DTWD
To the OP, No.

To what the average age is on here.

I think 20 - 22

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
average age of the pit? 16. I'd bet a lot of money on it. we should really take a tally of this. if any mods read this, you should open a stickied poll so we can see what kind of demographic we're dealing with here.

I think that has been done, and if I'm, not mistaken 20+ was the average.
Still renting and have been doing for the last 2 years after moving here. Love the place, it's close to work, town and the park, but it's dead money apart from that... And my parents don't let me forget it.

May look at getting a place and mortgage by next August.
signature
no, what am I? An adult?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

It's easily 20-22

I don't see why anyone would want to rent if they were able to own.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Nov 13, 2013,
I'm thinking about it, once I find a better job. I'd rather buy a place than rent one, given the choice.
Early 20's
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Yes, I'm stoked I own a house. Between my improvements and the market, I probably gained 75k in equity over the last year. I shopped around, got an awesome deal and my mortgage is way less than I'd be paying in rent for an equivalent house.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Oxford is so damn expensive and I'd begrudge paying the extortionate house prices here, but then I have a decision to make...
signature
If I could get a full-time job I would look into it.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Page 1 of 2