It seems as though it's finally time for me to part ways with my beloved Vengeance in favor of something more suitable to my new living conditions and playing requirements. It's unfortunate, but necessary.

I'm moving into an apartment with neighbors that have a newborn, my landlord has a "pretty much keep it quiet all of the time" policy, and I work third shift, so 120w of Vengeance is going to quickly become 120w of dust collection. In addition, I'm not doing much gigging anymore, so I think it's time for a change.

I love the tone and flexibility of my amp, but I need it in a package that preferably has a headphone jack and less output. I'll still do occasional gigging and full-volume practicing with drums, though, so I still need enough power for those volumes.

My budget is whatever I can get from my Vengeance, which I'm hoping is $700 - $800, although I don't really know what they go for, so it may only be $600. I could probably toss a hundred or so in with it, so, let's say $600 - $1000

I prefer used

My current location is Tuscarawas county in Ohio

My current gear is in my sig, other than a boost pedal I bought a while back, which is the hardwire Cm-2, and I'll be keeping my cab, so a head is fine.

Genres I play are basically everything. Mostly metal, hard rock, and blues. Stuff from Jazz, swing, and country to groove metal, melodic death metal, thrash metal, and sludge metal.

The only amps I could think of offhand are the 5153 mini and Vypyr Tube. I've been out of the loop for a while

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance you can provide
A more viable option for you may be a pod HD500 and a nice powered foldback wedge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Axe fx. Sorted
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
A 50-60W amp is not really going to be noticeably quieter than your 120 watter under home situation... Might as well just keep it unless you really want to switch to a different amp.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Check the Laney Iron heart it has a changing watts pot on it... also the Studio version works as an head or a rack with several outputs you can use to play silently through earphones. Tones are great in both versions BTW.
Strat>Interstellar Overdriver>Little Big Muff>Supersonic Fuzz Gun>Crybaby Classic>Crybaby>VP Jr. (TU-2 tuner out)>Electric Mistress XO>RV-3>E-1005 w/ Footswitch>DD-6 (stereo out)>DL-4 w/ Expression Pedal>Stereo Tremolo>Headrush>Fender Deluxe 85(2x)
^ I'd second the H&K and also the POD.

POD's are daunting at first if you've been 'out of the loop' but youtube will probably sell you
A 50 - 60w tube amp with a headphone jack will be significantly quieter than a 120w amp without one

I'll have to check out the Ironheart and Tubemeister. I'll look into the PODs as well, but Axe Fx isn't really my cup of tea
For metal I didnt like the tubemeister, infact I didnt like any of its sounds. The amount of features it has is amazing tho. The laney is pretty good but my recomendation is the blackstar s1-50. I know theres alot of discontent with blackstar here, but I recon those series one amps sound killer. It has variable wattage, great clean and drive sounds, dunno about headphone jack, but dailed to 5w it should be quiet enough without
You could also wait for the new egnater detroit amps. They're gonna be amazing from what ive seen so far
Quote by Blktiger0
A 50 - 60w tube amp with a headphone jack will be significantly quieter than a 120w amp without one

And where, pray tell, will you find one of those?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Keep your current amp and buy a pod for playing at home. You will be gigging again at some stage won't you? If you do and you've sold your amp, you'll have to start this shit all over again. Simply adding a pod to your setup will expand what you can do rather than limit it for short term gains over long term capability.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 14, 2013,
you will be able to find one much cheaper if you look for a few days:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R3.TR11.TRC1.A0.Xkorg+ax&_nkw=korg+ax1500g&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Korg AX1500G

its an older processor, but i have had one forever and it hasn't died or broken. simple to use and it actually can sound pretty good, not POD500X good but $100 it is very nice. it has a built in tuner, phase sampler, bypass, and is pretty tweakable.

there are better products out there for more money, but hard to beat if you find one at <t$100
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I noticed that the Engl Ironball has a headphone jack and is around my budget. Has anyone had experience with this amp?

I think I might see about just buying a used Vypyr. I would either get the 30, 50, or Tube 60. It would just depend on my funds and the availability. The 50/60 would also be able serve as a backup amp for gigs. The USB recording would also be kinda nice for various reasons, plus having a combo would allow me to be more mobile.

I might pick up a used Multi Effects Processor, though, too. They just lack the ability to be standalone like a combo.

I'm really leaning more and more against selling my amp. I just know I'll regret it.

Quote by Arby911
And where, pray tell, will you find one of those?

EVH 5150 III Mini
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

You know, the only two amps mentioned in my OP other than my current one.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Nov 14, 2013,
So sorry to hear about the potential loss of the Vengeance. I agree that 50 watts is NOT going to be much quieter. I'm with most of the others here when I say that I would try to find a way to hold onto the Vengeance if you like it otherwise, and just find a cheaper'ish practice amp type solution. I'm sure you know by now that I'm pretty happy with my Vypyr 60 and you can find those used for $250. There are also Plug In type options that you can run on a computer.

I didn't realize the 5153 mini had a headphone out option so that is compelling
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 14, 2013,
+1 for multifx with headphones and keeping your amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So sorry to hear about the potential loss of the Vengeance. I agree that 50 watts is going to be much quieter. I'm with most of the others here when I say that I would try to find a way to hold onto the Vengeance if you like it otherwise, and just find a cheaper'ish practice amp type solution. I'm sure you know by now that I'm pretty happy with my Vypyr 60 and you can find those used for $250. There are also Plug In type options that you can run on a computer.

I didn't realize the 5153 mini had a headphone out option so that is compelling

This has to be at least the fourth time in a row that I've had some kind of change in living situation and highly considered getting a Vypyr Tube 60. I've been eyeballing them and entertaining the idea for probably close to a year now. I think I might just say f*** it and finally buy one. If none of the multi processors cause a GAS flare-up, then I'll probably go Vypyr

The headphone jack on the 5153 is such a smart move. I would venture to say that is going to start becoming more common. It's no secret that probably 70% of "What Amp" threads are people wanting stadium tone at mosquito fart volumes. It seems like an obvious solution.
Quote by Blktiger0

EVH 5150 III Mini
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

You know, the only two amps mentioned in my OP other than my current one.

Vypyr is a hybrid (doesn't count!!), but I didn't know the mini had a headphone out, my bad!

As noted elsewhere though, a 50w amp (sans headphone jack) isn't necessarily going to be much quieter than your current amp. While the relationship between wattage and volume is a simple mathematical formula, the relationship between wattage and the volume at which a given amp will sound good is MUCH less certain...

FWIW, I'd say keep your current gear and get a used Vyvpr 60. Best of both worlds!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I had to edit my post.

I meant to say that 50 watts is NOT going to be much quieter than 100.

But the Vypyr 60 should serve you well. It sounds good at low volumes and then you always have the headphone option. Plus, it would make for a good back up for gigs down the road or hell just gig with it.

let us know
Sounds like you're going to have to do this again next time you move. That's looney tunes. What you should be aiming at is a setup that you won't have to change every time you move. So keep your amp and buy an extra gadget, like a pod. You could use the pod as an FX unit on your amp or for practicing in a sardine can. You'll have all bases covered. That seems like the logical solution to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Keep your vengeance- when you're playing at home, keep your fx loop on, but unplug the return from the amp into an interface and to your computer/laptop. You can download LeCab (impulse cab simulator loader) and many many cabinet simulations for free (like a mesa 4x12). Then plug your headphones in to hear it. Keep your amp plugged into your speaker cab (no sound will come out though).

I do this and enable playback through Reaper. Its pretty entertaining because then you can also use reaper's effects to process your sound if you like.

Also- I own a vengeance too. I play it through a carvin legacy 4x12 w v30s. Im not really digging it though:/. It seems a bit too dark and too weak/not punchy. The mids just dont sound very good. The lead channel really doesnt seem to have enough gain. Ive tried changing tubes and stuff, but it hasnt otten me anywhere. Do you have any tips for it?

Good luck
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Blitz you aren't too far from me and could have swore I just saw a vypyr go up on the Columbus CL for fairly cheap.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Honestly what you are looking for at a decent price is the Peavy 6505+. I see a strong used market for it and its a solidly built amplifier and VERY easy to dial in. You can get brutal metal tone in a few seconds of tinkering and when I mean brutal it's one of the ballsiest amps out there for drop tuning chug (it literally makes your balls shake). The crunch is great and the cleans are fine but I haven't had time to explore that channel for more than 15 minutes.

Doing a quick search of eBay and Kijiji here in Canada, there are several used combos and head within your budget. Should be a bit cheaper in the States.

I'm partial to Mesa Boogie Mark Series for high gain tones but this really does the job with less tinkering and the number of metal/rock acts using this amp speaks for itself.

Edit: Remember, you will need a cab or get the combo which you can improve with a 2x12 or 4x12 later.

Edit 2: Alternatively look at the EVH 5150 III, it's a compact amp with similiar tone (40 or 50w I think) if you dont mind sharing the gain on two channels (clean and crunch, kinda a pain in the ass)
Last edited by Mesadave at Nov 15, 2013,
I have a similar situation as you since i live in an apartment and happen to have a really loud amp. My neighbors are very nice and usually dont mind me playing a bit loud. But in order to be courteous i got myself a POD and a nice pair of headsets to play at night and not bother anyone. Getting a powered wedge like Cathbard said is also advisable since you can go without the headset while still playing at acceptable volumes.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ welcome to GGnA

You'll fit in here just fine

My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Remnest
I have a similar situation as you since i live in an apartment and happen to have a really loud amp. My neighbors are very nice and usually dont mind me playing a bit loud. But in order to be courteous i got myself a POD and a nice pair of headsets to play at night and not bother anyone. Getting a powered wedge like Cathbard said is also advisable since you can go without the headset while still playing at acceptable volumes.

+3.1415

keep your amp.

get a power wedge to go with a new effects processor.

nothing wasted.

still have your amp, have a MFX (which is great for plugging right into the mixer

then have a monitor to use live, BUT... it could easily be a part in a future PA if you were to do that later on.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sorry I'm just now getting back to this, but I've been nonstop busy with work and the holidays.

I'm definitely keeping the amp. Sometimes I have bad, terrible, dreadful ideas, and getting rid of this was one of them.

Watterboy, that sounds like a simple enough solution. The only thing I would have to purchase for that is a USB audio interface, which I've been trying to convince myself to buy for probably a year now. I've already got Studio Monitor headphones. However, one possible issue here is that the Power section of the amp won't be in use at all. I'm not sure what that would do to the sound and whatnot.

I'll PM you about the Vengeance thing. I think I can solve your problem.

Another option I've been looking at is the Peavey Vypyr VIP II. How do these stack up to the originals? I've wanted to buy a bass for a while now, and this would let me avoid buying a second amp for that bass while also solving this problem and being cheaper than the Tube version.
^ I can't speak to the VIP's personally because I have not played one.

Offworld has though and he really likes it. He also owns a Vypyr 120 head so I'd listen to him. He also got one (getting one) to play bass through as well.

As far as the Vengeance goes, I don't know what to tell you. Yes it is a bit dark but I found plenty of punch in it and the cleans were real nice. I think you just need to keep tweaking it and get some tubes (again - maybe you already did that).