Hi folks, I'm going on vacation to Puerto Vallarta, and basically my idea of a nice vacation includes lots of practising, but I don't want to bring my very heavy es335 clone, or risk flight damage to it as it's my only somewhat decent axe. I was thinking of either renting a guitar while there or purchasing a cheapo one to keep as a camping axe. I've heard mixed things about buying cheap mexican guitars. If anyone can give me any tips on how to buy something good enough that it will still make a good beater back home in Canada (totally different climate...) that would be great. I'm open to whatever, just want something to practise on. If it's safer to buy an electric, I could do that, or if nylon strings are good deals in Mexico, I could go that way. Any tips on the minimum to spend to get something that won't be a total write off would be good too, or dissenting opinions that I should buy something so cheap I don't mind if it's really a week long "rent-to-destroy" deal.

thanks!
Iain
It's important to decide whether you're looking for an acoustic or an electric
(so I know which forum to move this thread to)
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150

lol

Quote by Hydra150

ha

but also, before this gets moved, I should just point out that guitars tend to be real expensive out of USA/Canada. I wanted to do the same thing when I went to croatia, but it would have cost a LOT of money for a guitar that wouldn't even be close to worth it (we're talking like, $400 for a weekend POS guitar). might be better to buy a cheap one here and take it with you if the airline lets you take it as carry-on.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Nov 12, 2013,
Or check it but stuff the case with bubble wrap and sweaters, make it impossible to damage. Do they just open the cases up and grope/dismantle instruments now?
Quote by Masquirina
Do they just open the cases up and grope/dismantle instruments now?

my mom is a resources manager at pearson international (YYZ, in case any of you have ever wondered about that reference). she's seen some terrible things happen to delicate cargo, protected or not. if your delicate guitar isn't secured properly and falls from the top of a pile in the hold, it really doesn't matter how much bubble wrap you've put it in, a 7 foot drop isn't going to be good for it. If I can't take a guitar as carry on, I don't take it. some airlines allow it, some don't. you have to call ahead and check.
Thanks folks. The reason this is not in the acoustic or electric area is because I'm open to getting whatever makes the most sense to buy in Mexico. Or even renting. I literally just want something I can sit by the pool and practise on, but that is cheap enough that if it dies on the plane ride home I consider it part of the vacation cost. I have no idea of guitar places in PV rent, or whether cheap instruments are so cheap there that it's not worth renting. ( it would also save a trip to the store at the end of the vacation..)
Quote by iainctduncan
If it needs to be moved, I suppose the most likely is a nylon string?

w0t
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
If you go to the beach there will most likely be small venders selling

these...

You can try this shop.

Sonido Rana Tienda de Música
Francisco I. Madero 325 Col. Emiliano Zapata, Puerto Vallarta 48380 JAL, MX, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal, Mexico ‎
+52 322 222 4176

http://sonidorana.com/

Mexico tends to have higher prices than the US for high priced items. Which is usually why they shop over in the US, and then sell their items for more in Mexico.

Heres a cool video of the store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_OYzS8EK8

EDIT: Also, when buying strings in a foreign country, try to ask the clerk when he bought the strings, or try to make sure they do not look old. Sometimes they can have strings that have been on the shelf longer than they should be. It's happened to me before that once I buy a fresh pack of d'addario's they'd snap almost immediately.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Last edited by Nelshizzle at Nov 12, 2013,
Thanks. So what's the price point at which it becomes a bad idea to be buying in mexico? If it's like my experience in the Phillipines, stuff priced for the native mass market was insanely cheap, and stuff aimed at the rich was more expensive than at home. But I don't know where the tipping point would be there.
Honestly, i'd brush up on my Spanish if I were you. Gringos can get taken advantage of when it comes to prices, same as the Philippines im sure. Or at least try to show the clerk some basic Spanish to make him/her feel some connection. As for prices, you'd just have to go n check it out. I'm sure they have low quality guitars that can be haggled down to a better price.

You can long distance call the store, use google translate to ask some basic questions.

dat long distance tho.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Just take a cheap FG with you and risk it dude. I'd say that;s way less hassle and possibly less risk..lol.

For your next vacation may i suggest a trip to Hawaii, and purchase a uku. My wife brought me a sick one back last year....small enough to carry on....pffff that's it.......take a ukulele....or one of those guitarlele or whatever their called.....there sik. Buy one here and carry it the whole way.