i am building a guitar and trying my best to make it top notch. I am thinking seriously about putting a set of Nail Bombs or something similar in my guitar. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with bare knuckles or anything i need to know?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Depends on where you live. If you're in the US, I'm of the opinion that they're horribly overpriced for what they are. They have a massive hype machine behind them, which I think makes people think of them as being on a tier higher than SD or DiMarzio.

I think that you can pretty much get anywhere you need to go with an SD or a DiMarzio, and save yourself $100. If you do want to drop the cash on a BKP, the rest of your rig better damn well be up to snuff.

I had a BKP Miracle Man for a little while.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It really depends on what you like. Your best bet, if you have a friend that has a BKP or know a place that has a BKP equipped guitar, would be to test it.

I find that they have a more "open" sound. However that is a very subjective evaluation, and can differ from person to person. The way I would look at it is for you to buy either a neck or a bridge to try. Then if you really like it, you can order the other piece. That way you don't lose all that much if you dislike the sound.

Personally, I like the sound they give. However, this is running through a pretty high end rig, and after testing over 20 different pickups. I've shared some BKPs with friends, and they love it, BUT only after I told them what to listen out for. Before that, they could tell there was some difference, but couldn't pin it why or what was different.

From what I gather, all the people I've shared BKPs with love the sound, but don't think BKPs are worth the price.

That said, if you're really chasing a sound, what's a few more greenbacks?

Another point, BKP's high gain HB really sound nice, but their singles, P90s and low gain HB don't seem to get much love.

Hope that helps you.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 13, 2013,
Quote by Ippon

+1
in the USA, I feel they are over priced but others love them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by marianoarnaiz
If you want top notch pickups you might take a look to lundgren pickups

This.

But considering the BKPs are made my side of the pond, you might be better off with some SD's/Dimarzio/EMGs.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
thanks very much for all the input. I am floating in a sea of HMMMMM as i search and search for the right set of pickups. I know i am going for quality so that really opens up my options. If BKPs are crazy awesome then i don't mind dropping the coin. I am looking at a few different options SDs are always in the mix, just found a nice set of Rio Grande Black Muy/Tallboy set, lollard, etc. The railhammer has peaked my interest a great deal as well.

It is not a bad position to be in, i enjoy getting others feedback about this stuff from UG because frankly i have no friends that know what a guitar is and going on the forums of the companies themselves is pointless because they are basically huge commercials for themselves.

Thanks again, please feel free to add anything about ANY of the humbucker pickups out there. always enjoy the knowledge.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Last edited by zenbone at Nov 13, 2013,
Why don't you tell us what sound you want to get?

Tell us exactly what gear is in your rig, what pickups you're running now, and what you want to be different about your sound.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
generally i am looking for an aggressive sound, which is what is making me lean toward the Railhammer Chisel/anvil combo. I am building a guitar from a body i picked up from GuitarFetish (it is a PRS style body) and a rosewood strat style neck.

I have a wide array of guitars with much different sounds, i put a set of GFS lipstick pickups into a modded MIM strat for surf style sounds. I have a Jaguar HH special with humbuckers and like the sound although they are very low output in general... not horrible sounding or anything. I just sold off my Grestch electromatic pro so i am just building something up from scratch for fun (i enjoy building and fixing guitars). All my guitars run through a Fender Deluxe reverb tube amp with a modest amount of pedals.

I do need to add i am not a Tone Freak or super crazy picky about things. I often leave guitars stock and just play/enjoy them. I ask you guys because i respect the forum and want to build a real monster of a guitar. I know built guitars do not carry much value so i am building it for me. I am trying to go high end on most of my decisions so it feels and plays solid for a long time.
Quote by BlackVoid
Last edited by zenbone at Nov 13, 2013,
Depends on the pickup and what you want out of it. They make a few really good ones, lots of average ones, and a few not so good ones. The Nailbomb neck is the only one I've tried that I felt was worth the price.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The other thing worth pointing out is, if you like the sound of handwound pickups, you don't necessarily have to go to BKP prices to get handwound pickups. So that's worth considering, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Scatter-wound pickups have openness to their sound, which the BKP are supposedly designed as. The problem with that would be uniformity in the sound between pickups of the same model. That may or may not be a bad thing depending on how you see it, but the scatter winding is done mostly on a machine with someone holding the wire in their hand or something otherwise it would take forever to make them in large numbers, cause I don't remember there being a waiting list for them..

Anyways since you are in US you could order SD Antiquity pickups or ask their custom shop to scatterwind a particular model you like which would give an openness to the sound like described above. Would probably end up about more less in the same price range as the BKPs i guess, but without the shipping from UK added I think.
Quote by steven_ferns84
Scatter-wound pickups have openness to their sound,

This is silly. The pickups don't give a crap how they were wound. It's the pattern of the windings that leads to the inductance/capacitance of the LCR network.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by zenbone
generally i am looking for an aggressive sound, which is what is making me lean toward the Railhammer Chisel/anvil combo. I am building a guitar from a body i picked up from GuitarFetish (it is a PRS style body) and a rosewood strat style neck.

I have a wide array of guitars with much different sounds, i put a set of GFS lipstick pickups into a modded MIM strat for surf style sounds. I have a Jaguar HH special with humbuckers and like the sound although they are very low output in general... not horrible sounding or anything. I just sold off my Grestch electromatic pro so i am just building something up from scratch for fun (i enjoy building and fixing guitars). All my guitars run through a Fender Deluxe reverb tube amp with a modest amount of pedals.

I do need to add i am not a Tone Freak or super crazy picky about things. I often leave guitars stock and just play/enjoy them. I ask you guys because i respect the forum and want to build a real monster of a guitar. I know built guitars do not carry much value so i am building it for me. I am trying to go high end on most of my decisions so it feels and plays solid for a long time.

and you are considering $300 on electronics? i know i will come off of an ass, and don't mean to, but if i were to build a 'top notch guitar' least for me would be warmoth, or higher end. you would have more money invested into ONE PICKUP than in the body of a 'top notch guitar'

i am not saying that its wrong to have fun and piece guitars together, i have done that plenty, but i just have done it to lower end guitars and prices.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hell yeah I do. Got some Trilogy Suite single coils in my Squier and they'll melt the face of any metal guitar, yes, single coils in a Squier, don't doubt the power of my Squier.

My favorite pickup was the Painkiller, I could do almost anything with that pickup, even though it was made more for dejent.

I'm actually looking at getting the Nailbombs for my Custom Spalted maple tele, works well with mahogany body guitars.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
and you are considering $300 on electronics? i know i will come off of an ass, and don't mean to, but if i were to build a 'top notch guitar' least for me would be warmoth, or higher end. you would have more money invested into ONE PICKUP than in the body of a 'top notch guitar'

i am not saying that its wrong to have fun and piece guitars together, i have done that plenty, but i just have done it to lower end guitars and prices.

I agree.

And in addition, not sure how to say this without coming off as an ass, because I don't mean to, but you didn't really provide any helpful information in your post. What does "aggressive sound" mean?

Try this: tell us what bands/songs have a sound you'd like to get close to, or what you would like to sound like in relation to a given song.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I agree.

And in addition, not sure how to say this without coming off as an ass, because I don't mean to, but you didn't really provide any helpful information in your post. What does "aggressive sound" mean?

Try this: tell us what bands/songs have a sound you'd like to get close to, or what you would like to sound like in relation to a given song.

+1

also what amp are you intending to use? do you gig? where are you getting the neck from?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a nailbomb in the bridge of my guitar, and I love it. It has a very open and huge sound, with a sort of 'changy' sound if you understand what I mean, I can't think of how else to explain it haha. I think you really just have to try it and see, luckily it worked out for me.
But in the end what i really need is a new amp right everyone on UG?

Went with Railhammer Anvil bridge/chisel neck combo
Quote by BlackVoid