I currently own a Verellen 4x12 speaker cabinet, and it's great. It is a pretty damn good cabinet. Possibly the best speaker cabinet I have owned. For some reason, I am not completely satisfied with it's tone. It could just be the speakers, but I recently heard a really convincing argument on Emperor cabs from a guy I know who has owned both. He said they were just built better and sounded better. I own a Verellen Skyhammer so i am definitely not knocking the dudes amp work, but I am thinking that if I shelled out all this money on a custom built super sweet speaker cab, I should absolutely love it. I don't, though. I was just curious if anyone on here has used both cabs and could tell any difference between the two, what your preference was...all that jazz.

I have a guy wanting to buy my Verellen cabinet, so I am tempted to sell it and just have an Emperor 2x12 cabinet made. Just wanted to know if there was any difference between the two before i did though.
Somebody else is really into Russian Circles just like me

If Mike Sullivan (their guitarist) is doing it, and it sounds good, then even with the difference with the "the tone is in the fingers" argument, it should still sound good, imo.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
Somebody else is really into Russian Circles just like me

If Mike Sullivan (their guitarist) is doing it, and it sounds good, then even with the difference with the "the tone is in the fingers" argument, it should still sound good, imo.

HAHAHAHA! ya caught me! Yeah, I love Russian Circles. Every other band is using those cabs, though. There has to be something to 'em. Even the bands that use Verellen amps, usually use Emperor cabs with them. I just want to know if anyone has used both!! I understand the "tone is in the fingers" argument, but I also notice a completely different tone every single time I change speakers, heads, cabs, guitars, pickups...whatever. There is a certain tone that I desire to have, but still have yet to find it for myself.
Mike, as far as Memorials, and maybe Empros is concerned for amps, is using the Meatsmoke (?) head which is a bass amp, which could be the tone you're thinking of. Maybe try cranking your bass, moving the mids up a touch, and drop the treble a bit?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
the emperor cab i had was top notch.

people got bitter with them over a stupid facebook post when jim marshall passed. (rip)

can't comment on the other cab, never tried one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by AWACS
Mike, as far as Memorials, and maybe Empros is concerned for amps, is using the Meatsmoke (?) head which is a bass amp, which could be the tone you're thinking of. Maybe try cranking your bass, moving the mids up a touch, and drop the treble a bit?

He does indeed. The bass player in my band uses one, though he wants to sell it cause it weighs like 100 pounds. I borrowed it for a week once and messed around with it, probably the coolest amp I have ever played, next my Skyhammer of course. I do all of that usually as far as EQ goes. What about presence I usually have mine at about 4 o'clock. My band plays black metal with like..doom and post rock influence, when i dial the presence down it sounds super muddy (like a real black metal band) but i'm not a fan of the way that sounds.
Quote by gregs1020

people got bitter with them over a stupid facebook post when jim marshall passed. (rip)

Ha...What was the comment??
Something stupid about cloning fender circuits.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

I remember that, that was stupid as hell. I don't remember what exactly was said, but wasn't it something that was said light-heartedly, and people who didn't understand the intended tone of the post exploded with butthurt?

Anyway, on topic, at that point I don't think the difference would really be worth trading up over. I would definitely be trying out different speakers rather than blaming the cab.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 13, 2013,
I just loaded an eminence governor and cannabis rex into my avatar 2x12 and like it more than the 4x12. It's definitely something to consider. I have noticed a bit of buzzing in the cab though. That was one of the reasons I considered the deal, that and the guy offered exactly what I wanted in cash.
Never heard of Verellen, but my Emperor 4x12 is the single greatest 4x12 I've owned or played through. The 1x12 I used to have was probably the best 1x12 I've owned, too!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com