Okay guys I have a question for you. I recently got a new Blackstar Ht-5 and Orange 2x12. I like the tone I get but it is a bit dark and muffled sounding (not sure if describing this right). I'm using an OCD pedal to boost it for more distortion also. My question is should I get an mxr 10 band eq to brighten the sound, or a boss mt-2 and run It through the clean channel without any extra drive from ocd. Also I play old metal/hard rock stuff like metallica, so I want a heavy distortion sound. Thanks
You should get an EQ - you should always have one. They're extremely useful. The MXR 10 Band is the industry standard, and very good. It's 18V though, so keep that in mind. Also a little oddly sized. On a budget, I am a huge fan of the Danelectro Fish and Chips. It is phenomenal for the price. But not as durable as an MXR or Boss. And of course the bands and dual gain/level controls of the 10 Band make it undeniably more flexible. So your call there, based on your budget and your needs.

Your second thought is absolutely horrible. Take that as least offensively as you can. Do not bother with the MT-2.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The MT-2 is easily the worst distortion pedal I've ever heard, right next to the Boss DS-1.

Personally I'd recommend the ten band either way, because many amps don't offer a lot of range in their EQ and I think they're invaluable; the MXR works great.

As for your distortion, many times it's a tweaking thing; you may just have muffled settings. But you could try a couple of things:

1. Boost the gain channel with a Tube Screamer

2. Try the Wampler Triple Wreck on the clean channel. It's the best distortion I've heard in a while that is meant to be put in front of a clean amp and turn it into... well a Mesa.

So I definitely recommend a ten band either way because they'll just help. They just will. Haha. But otherwise I'd say take your amp to Guitar Center and say you want to try some pedals to see what is gonna make your gain sound better and see what happens!

P.S. Try everything on pedals; from full gain and medium volume to gain on zero and volume on full. Cheers!
Thanks guys I will defiantly look into a mxr eq and maybe another distortion peal.
Get the EQ first. You don't need a dirt pedal and you won't want one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I use two overdrives (a Bad Monkey and a Timmy) and an EQ (fish & chips). It covers a lot of bases. I use the BM for extra rhythm grit, Timmy for lead breaks and the EQ for a little extra boost - actually set up so it brings my tele to the same level as my SG but it also equates to a nice little boost for other purposes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification