There seems to be a lack of guitars in this range. I'm looking to spend 1500-2000 on a high end solidbody electric guitar but I can't seem to get my hands on anything that looks halfway decent. Maybe I'm being too picky, but the closest I've gotten to a production line guitar that suits my tastes is the RG3550MZ, and then there's the Carvin C66, but it only comes with a 22fret neck.

Where else should I be looking for solid bodies around this price range, with an H-H, or H-S-H setup + 24 frets (preferrably superstrat model)? I'm looked at Jackson, Ibanez, Fender, Gibson, PRS, Carvin, and basically any 'USA' dealer out there. The only place I see something I like is in the Japanese market, but they cost a kidney to import.

Some help finding something in the US market that plays/looks well would be great.

TLDR: I'm looking for something that I can take to a metal gig and have it pull off the sound, but at the same time have a guitar that I can take to a sessions for a recording gig for a blues band and still not feel or look out of place. Suhr Moderns, Tom Anderson Drop Top Classic, Caparison Dellinger II M3s, and Ibanez J-Customs are a good example. H-H/H-S-H pickup setup highly preferred. 24 frets + floyd rose is a necessity.
Last edited by nignog at Nov 13, 2013,
Look at the MiJ Fernandes, the high-end Godins, G&L USA, US Masters, Jon Kammerer, ESP...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Look at the MiJ Fernandes, the high-end Godins, G&L USA, US Masters, Jon Kammerer, ESP...

Thanks. The MiJ Fernandes look pretty decent. I'll keep an eye on them.
I think you can get a Music Mac JP6 without the piezo system in that price range and they are very nice guitars.
yep carvin is a decent place to start
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1615856&highlight=new+carvin+day

this fall easily in that price range (towards the lower of your range actually) and this is quite fully loaded. the only way it gets more expensive is with 5 piece necks or koa top wood or something which would boost the price hundreds of dollars.

HOWEVER - the guitar is ill suited for higher gain, so personally i would swap the pups or choose a different set of pickups from carvin. i got them "general" recommended versatile set.

however, even with a pickup change, your are still in your price range and a DC series with no fancy top wood would lower price a probably about 200 bucks to give you more to play with.

but yeah i spec'ed out a "metal" focused guitar of carvin, DC 600 with a floyd, and mine came out about 1000-1100 with a solid paint color.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
^+1 the MM guitars are awesome.

PRS can be found in that range, you'll likely have to buy used if you want a Custom 22/24

Caparison guitars are nice and really overlooked

ESP has several in that range

Used Mayonse

There are so many guitars in that range. look at GC's used site they have a huge selection
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A used PRS custom 24, best buy i could ever make.
Gear:
PRS custom 24 (2000)
PodHD500x (cause i'm poor, upgrade soon)
Custom power amp
Homemade 2x12 (celestion V30 + G12H creamback)

HORSES BLEW FIRE (My band)
I would recommend an ESP or Ibanez Prestige. I am not sure exactly what your looking for, but these are great instruments in your price range.

The ESP Horizon NT-II - http://www.yandasmusic.com/1/productid/120/esp-horizon-nt-ii

or the Horizon FR-II with floyd rose -
http://www.yandasmusic.com/1/productid/114/esp-horizon-fr-ii-duncan-electric-guitar-in-reindeer-blue-duncan-pickups

The Music Man JP6 is a fantastic guitar. You would have to get the bare bones version to fit in your price range I think.
Quote by ikey_
yep carvin is a decent place to start
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1615856&highlight=new+carvin+day

this fall easily in that price range (towards the lower of your range actually) and this is quite fully loaded. the only way it gets more expensive is with 5 piece necks or koa top wood or something which would boost the price hundreds of dollars.

HOWEVER - the guitar is ill suited for higher gain, so personally i would swap the pups or choose a different set of pickups from carvin. i got them "general" recommended versatile set.

however, even with a pickup change, your are still in your price range and a DC series with no fancy top wood would lower price a probably about 200 bucks to give you more to play with.

but yeah i spec'ed out a "metal" focused guitar of carvin, DC 600 with a floyd, and mine came out about 1000-1100 with a solid paint color.

I agree with the Carvin. I built my Carvin to handle metal (using their M22SD pickup in the bridge and an H22N in the neck) but it can also play very bluesy tunes due to coil splitters and the stock Carvin pickups not being super aggressive. With my Peavey 6505+ I can definitely get thrash and Opeth-style metal, but getting really brutal tone out of it can be difficult without a distortion or an overdrive pedal.

That being said, the Carvin plays and feels fantastic. I'm not sure if it is my favorite guitar because I like some of the others for various reasons, but it is by far my most versatile guitar.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
music mans will be hard to get 1500 new. possible on a few models. many no. but they are INCREDIBLE guitars. right up there with PRS imo.

walk into a sam ash or guitar center? i could burn every guitar in the building but lord in heaven don't hurt the music mans and prs's
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
i have a 3550MZ (less $700 brand new in case from GC) still not sure how, but it plays wonderfully and is just all the way around quality fit and finish flawless fretwork. trem is very nice and stays in tune if you beat on it for 20 minutes straight.

if i were to go other than a prestige i would buy one of the JP MM's they are solid guitars. play very nicely as well (on gas list after a few more amps).

ESP's NOT LTD can be very nice instruments as well for an even cheaper price. i am not a fan of how they feel for myself and had owned shitty LTD EC's a few years ago, but the ESP line are nicer guitar nonetheless.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/