hi there im new to this forum !!!! can anyone advice me on this topic. i have a sound city 20c valve combo. with a speaker ext output on the back when i plug in my extension cab the main speaker cuts off is this normal? the speaker impedance is 16ohms the same as main speaker. also i was thinking about wiring the two speakers in parallel would this harm the amp ! any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well I can not say for your amp, but many amps will mute the internal speaker.

does the amp have an ohms selector on it? if not look for the manual online or maybe someone here more familiar with your amp can help.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
if it does mute the internal speaker it'd make sense that the extension jack would want to be the same impedance as the internal speaker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To run both you'd have to mod the amp, specifically the ext speaker jack.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by mrmuller
i have a sound city 20c valve combo. with a speaker ext output on the back when i plug in my extension cab the main speaker cuts off is this normal?

i can't find a manual of the amplifier, but i have seen pictures and this amp seems to just have a single speaker output and no impedance selection.

in modern amps this would imply that an external speaker would bypass the native speaker and the extension cabinet should be the same impedance as the native speaker.

Quote by mrmuller
the speaker impedance is 16ohms the same as main speaker.

that is what you'd want.

Quote by mrmuller
also i was thinking about wiring the two speakers in parallel would this harm the amp ! any advice would be greatly appreciated.

if you hooked the cabinets in parallel and used two 16 ohm cabinets then the amp would only 'see' 8 ohm at the speaker output. i wouldn't exactly call the good, most like less optimal.

not matching impedance to the output of a tube amp places stress on other components of the amp. most guitar amps are over-engineered to protect the amp from some mismatch, but the tone of the amp generally suffers and the amp is not working at it's optimal efficiency.

i'd say a small mis-match wouldn't harm the amp, but it has the potential to. it is up you to decide whether you want to take the risk. (i do, but i don't advise others to do so).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae