Hey, i'm looking to buy a microphone. I sing in the style of Iggy Pop/Nick Cave/Leonard Cohen, in the lower baritone range. I would be using the mic at band practice and for gigs in small clubs. What would be a good choice for me? My budget is around 200$.
Last edited by Endorphine at Nov 13, 2013,
I'm not an expert but Shure makes some good mics for a decent price. I think that the recordings forum cold help you more.
Quote by Endorphine
Hey, i'm looking to buy a microphone. I sing in the style of Iggy Pop/Nick Cave/Leonard Cohen, in the lower baritone range. I would be using the mic at band practice and for gigs in small clubs. What would be a good choice for me? My budget is around 200$.

Band practice and rehersals, only thing I can rec is a 58. But the recording forum can help more.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Over in the Recordings forum we have a rule where you aren't allowed to recommend anything purely because it's the "industry standard".

In this case though, the industry standard SM58 is always going to be the right answer.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The sennheiser e835 is a much better mic than the 58. Much clearer, more articulate low end, more durable (grill) plus a 10 year warranty through Sennheiser. I've sold most of my live rig 58s for 835s.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The SM58 is honestly a pretty poor sounding mic for vocals. The reason they've stayed around so long is because you can literally run it over with a car and it'll still work. Check out:

Blue enCORE 100/200/300
Audix OM2
Heil PR20
AKG D5
Sennheiser e835
Shure Beta 57A/58A/87A
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
you can literally run it over with a car and it'll still work.

Believe it or not, I've genuinely seen this happen.

That's why they're the best mics for gigging with.

Have to admit, I don't know how durable other mics are in comparison, but after seeing that I wouldn't consider anything else.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Just because it's durable doesn't mean it's the best or even that good. I'd rather have something that sounded better (not to mention it carries a 10 year warranty, break it and you can have a new one) and take care of it than own a mic that (why would you ever be in this situation) could get run over by a car.

Just my .02c

I think 58s rock on snare though.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Most important thing: How the mic works with YOUR voice

Go to a shop and spend some time trying out all the different live vocal mics you can. Some of them will fit your voice better than others.
Just get a u87. JKS
Edit: Get a ****ing Sm58. Its "standard" for a reason. If it sounds not quite right it's because your vocals aren't quite right.
Last edited by unofficiallyme2 at Nov 15, 2013,
Quote by unofficiallyme2
Just get a u87.

Yeah, because that would be awesome for Iggy Pop style vocals in a live setting, and there are SO many of them out there for around $200.

Anyhoo.....

I'll second the e835. I have one and it is all I'll ever use for my live vocals, assuming I have it in my tub of stuff. One of the other singers for my band has one as well, and she loves hers too.

That said, our other singer has an SM58 and it works really well for her voice.

I might also suggest seeing if you can look out for an SM7 in the used market. You might pick one up for not much more than $200... with a little shopping.

They're fine for live use, still pretty durable, and they record really nicely. Being a larger diaphragm, it will probably respond pretty friendly to a lower baritone voice.

*caution* - The SM7 really depends on what you're plugging it into, though. You need a preamp with a fair bit of gain.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 15, 2013,
I dont leave the house without my Shure Beta SM 58A, but I'm sure there are a lot of good vocal mics out there.

To me the Shure Beta 58 sounds a lot better than the standard 58, a lot more transparent and natural sounding making sure the character of your vocal comes through the PA. I can also attest to the build quality, I have gigged with my SM 58A beta for 10 years and it has taken some abuse and looks/sounds like new.