Back in May I commissioned a bass from Alpher Instruments, a small guitar building duo here in the north of England.

The build was fairly standard, apart from the string spacing which was around 15.3mm at the bridge (I'm a big Myung fan!). The spacing feels fantastic, despite it sounding like it should be really cramped and it's even easy to slap on. Other than that, it plays and sounds just as a custom instrument should... Flipping brilliantly!

In all seriousness, this was my first ever custom build and my 6th bass I've ever owned, which is great as the serial number is '006' . I've been absolutely blown away by the amount of communication, updates, pictures and just friendly discussion we've had since I first contacted them and it's extremely comforting to know that you have two passionate people behind your custom bass. If you're considering a build in the future, even if it's not in the near future, don't hesitate to strike up conversation with them. They build for all sorts of people, and will happily ship them internationally. They're extremely knowledgeable and will quickly make you realise what custom builds are all about. And then before you realise it, you'll have the finished article sitting in your lap...

Full the full Flickr album, click here . And to check out what Alpher Instruments are up to, go and visit their Facebook page !
Last edited by Xclusive at Nov 13, 2013,
Very nice - HNBD!
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
I'm not a bass player, but this looks amazing HNBD!
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
That thing is beyond gorgeous! Are those Delano pickups?

HNCustomBD!!! Enjoy the hell out of it!!!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
That thing is beyond gorgeous! Are those Delano pickups?

HNCustomBD!!! Enjoy the hell out of it!!!

Thanks! Actually, they're custom pickups made by Catswhisker Pickups. I asked for something that had the same, earth-shattering effect that Musicman Bongo pickups have, as well as the awesome large, open poles and that's what I got.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Specs! SPECS!!!

Body: 1-piece Claro Walnut with Tru Oil finish
Top wood: Spalted/Spider Burl Maple
Mid Veneer: Wenge
Neck: 1-pieces Wenge, quartersawn
Fingerboard: Madagascan Rosewood (Expensive, but worth it!)
Tuners: Hipshot Lightweight
Bridge: Hipshot Single String bridges with 15.3mm string spacing
Nut: 1.75" graphtech
Pickups: 2 large-pole piece Humbuckers by Catswhisker
Preamp: 2-band John East Preamp
Hipshot hardware and awesome looking wood on the same bass? You sir have great taste.

HNBD!
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Love the spalted wood. Very, very nice and the specs are great. Nice piece of bass p0rn!
That looks gorgeous, especially since I'm also a fan of particularly tight string spacing. HNBD!
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
wow
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice. Seen some of their work before. Didn't realise they were only 10 miles from me either... I've had an idea in mind for a custom build for a while, shame I've no money.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by dark Mass
Hipshot hardware and awesome looking wood on the same bass? You sir have great taste.

HNBD!

I agree 100%

Love custom builds. It's only a matter of time (and of course, cash) but i will be getting one for me. There are quite a few great artisans here in Argentina that makes really really nice basses.

Congratulations, it really looks great. I would love to see it in action, is there any chance of posting a video on youtube, or maybe some audios on soundcloud?

Congratulations!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2