ok so I ordered myself a jackson dkgmt that I found on guitar center. before I tell you guys what I paid I want to show the condition it arrived it. I've been looking at them and they seem to be selling for a bit ridiculous prices on ebay and what not. The condition seems a little bet less than acceptable but I can take care of most of the problems. Fyi this is the later active emg model not the emg hz model. wiring seems ok, just a bit of crackle in the knobs but nothing a bit of electronics cleaner can't handle.

So first of all, I'm sure its a legitimate guitar I checked the stamps on the neck and body.

Second, one of the knobs missing, not really a big deal, but also the bridge was completely set up wrong, the high strings don't play anything after the 15 fret because they're sitting too low to the body. Also The last guy that played this must have been pretty sweaty since the bridge is mucky. If anyone has some tips to cleaning the bridge please let me know, I was thinking of using an all purpose cleaner like a bathroom cleaner but not sure if its safe. Also if someone can point me to how to set up a fixed bridge that would be great too, I've only set up floyds and strat trem bridges before.

and finally this might just be me being paranoid, but the fret board seems to be siting at a weird angle? a bit too high towards the body and low towards the headstock? unless thats how its supposed to be

EDIT: Reason I'm asking all this is because I'm thinking of returning it if I overpaid for it, also I failed to mention that the strap pin at the top horn is missing and the hole is pretty big like if it broke off. I think I can fix that with some epoxy or wood filler easy though
Last edited by backlash92 at Nov 13, 2013,
I searched for a bit and I think that those go for about 500 bucks right? correct if I'm wrong That neck worries me, at least it seems weird.

If aside from the neck the only bad stuff was the missing knob I'd probably pay 300-400 $ for it (assuming the original price is about 500$), but I'd find out if the neck is supposed to be like that. I could easily live with a missing knob, and if it's in mint condition otherwise it should play just fine.
Something about the way the neck sits in the pocket does look wrong. It looks like a recessed tune-o-matic and if that's the case it should be a standard flat pocket, not angled. If I'm wrong and it's a standard tune-o-matic then the pocket should be angled but even so it looks high.

I'd say if you get the bridge set to the right height and it plays nice and sounds good (no dead notes) then $300 is a fair price. Being used at all knocks it down $100 then add the broken strap button and the missing knob and the general messiness of the guitar I'd knock it down another $100.
The necks on Jacksons of that era are angled back by 4 degrees. It is supposed to be that way.

you can clean the bridge with just about any cleaner that's safe to use on metals. You can scrub the bridge with an old toothbrush. TOM bridges are just about the easiest bridge the set up. Action is adjusted by rotating the studs on either side of the bridge. The screws on the bridge itself are used to adjust intonation for each string. Moving the saddle away from the pickups lengthens the string, flattening the intonation. Moving the saddle towards the pickups does the opposite.

You can fix the strap button by putting toothpicks inside the hole (as many as you need) and then replacing the strap button.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 13, 2013,
Quote by backlash92

and finally this might just be me being paranoid, but the fret board seems to be siting at a weird angle? a bit too high towards the body and low towards the headstock? unless thats how its supposed to be

It is. It's meant to have neck pitch, far as I'm aware. Mine does, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can see on that photo as well that the pickup ring is angled to match the angle of the neck. Yep, it's meant to be like that. I think all of the non-trem models have the neck angle. The recessed Floyd models are flat, or at least mine are.

I won't suggest a price, since I'm.on the other side of the pond and our prices can be quite different.
ok so you guys made me feel a bit better about the 300 dollar price tag I paid for it :v I checked the humbuckers and theres an emg 81 on the bridge and an 85 on the neck as it should be. I'm not sure if this guy spilled milk on the guitar or something but there's a bunch of calcium buildup all over the bridge and pickup screws, so I'm using bathroom cleaner to fix it. one thing I noticed too .-. the body is a dark green not a black that I thought it was. I put it up to a bright light and the headstock is black. Could that mean that the guitar was repainted? My friend also recommended the toothpick technique you mentioned but I think I'd rather go with some jb weld or some wood filler.

oh and I suppose this is getting off topic now, but anyone know where I can obtain some replacement knobs? The ones on my ibanez didn't quite sit right so I'm assuming not all knobs are made the same.
i got mildly ****ed by GC. i bought an IBANEZ 1550 prestige for like $475 plus their handling so ball park $500. it had a JACKSON licensed trem in there. i tell them that its wrong and are like well if you feel the need to return it i could. its $250 bridge instead of probably a $50 bridge off of ebay for $20. don't get reimbursed shipping. i get another one, which i still have that the jack falls out (barrel jack so i have to buy a new one can't tighten it, and it had no trem arm. and had to pay for processing from GC.

i don't plan on ordering from there unless it is really rare and i speak to the manager for discussion of condition from the farthest tuner to the strap button on the rear.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
You can see on that photo as well that the pickup ring is angled to match the angle of the neck.

good point
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by backlash92
one thing I noticed too .-. the body is a dark green not a black that I thought it was. I put it up to a bright light and the headstock is black.

The green was one of the standard finishes on that model, called "black forest". The headstocks were always black whatever the body finish.
yeah black forest was an option. mine's black forest. it looks black most of the time except when the light hits it a certain way.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah black forest was an option. mine's black forest. it looks black most of the time except when the light hits it a certain way.

alright, well I suppose I'm ok with that since most venues are dark and smokey anyway :P at the moment I'm in the process of filling in the strap pin hole and cleaning some of this crusty hardware, then hopefully install some strap locks, maybe I'll post some more pictures if I'm not too lazy
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?