when my brother moved out, he didnt take his two guitars with him. one of which ive never seen him play, so ive adopted it to be my "custom tuning" guitar. problem is ive never written with one before

what are some cool custom tuning ideas?
CABbAGE tuning is always fun for a few minutes.

Open tunings are cool to mess around with.

Personally, I'm a fan of just standard tuning. I've never really understood the value of non-standard tunings (besides maybe drop tunings).
Open C. Learn Devin Townsend's entire back catalogue.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
@ cha33: is that jsut a coincidence that you tuning has the word "fag" in it?

@ geldin: depending on the tuning, they could be used for extended ranges (like Karnivool, who uses B F# B G b e), they could be used for making cool chords or making unique chords easier (open tunings, or see Karnivool again). i just want some cool new ideas
DADGAD, DADGBD, AADGBE are funny to mess around with! you might also want to try Spaztikkos tuning - be open about it!

The good thing with alternate tunings is that you get forced to play differently .
Quote by Elderer
Open G
AADGBE

How can you even call that open G?

Anyway,

DAEG#AE is fun if you don't break the G string.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Lou Reed's Ostrich tuning DDDDdd, great for Sitar emulation and a Middle-Eastern/Oriental sound.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I don't know much about this but I think Open D5 tuning sounds really great. Mark Tremonti uses Open D5 tuning(D-A-D-A-D-D) quite a bit. This tuning was used in composing 'My sacrifice' and ‘Ghost of the days gone by’ songs.
Open C5 tuning. Tune every string to either C or G.
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
Another vote for New Standard Tuning: CGDAEG
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
new standard sounds cool, but i dont have the strings for it lol also, ostrich tuning, as well as open C/D5 tunings are awfully redundant to me

also, i appreciate these suggestions, and in the future ill try them, but for right now id prefer tunings on the lower side. currently i have it in this tuning that one of the guys from the Tabs and Chords section uses. its half dropped Bb, half D standard (Bb F Bb G A D), so its pretty damn low right now

Edit: the custom tuning is Bb F Bb F A D, instead of the second F being a G
Last edited by pAWNlol at Nov 13, 2013,
Quote by pAWNlol
ostrich tuning, as well as open C/D5 tunings are awfully redundant to me

Not if you know what you're doing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.