When you're holding the pick where should your index finger be relative to the pick?

There are thousands of pictures showing how to pick but only on the thumb side.

Do you hold the pick on the SIDE of the finger TIP?

Or do you hold the pick on the side of the part of the finger thats right below the knuckle?

I've been holding it like the way in the 3rd/4th pictures but I get the feeling that Im wrong.

Embarrassing since I've been playing for four years now.
Either is fine, it's unlikely to be a detail that matters that much unless you're already in the top 5% of pickers in the world.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I use three fingers because I'm special Since I tried it, I can't go back to the normal way
There is thousands of differents ways to hold a pick. Sometimes, I use three fingers too, and sometimes I'm holding it only between my thumb and my middle finger. So i don't know if there is a real answer to your question ^^

I use these beasts, holding them with two fingers and my thumb. And yet, I still drop them from time to time.....

(OK, they're really not THAT big...)
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 15, 2013,
What's important when it comes down to picking is holding it the most comfortable way to YOU and listen to the TONE .
Quote by ibzshredder
What's important when it comes down to picking i....[ ].....and listen to the TONE .
To be fair, a good chunk of the tone, comes from your choice of pick, regardless of how you hold it.
Quote by Captaincranky
To be fair, a good chunk of the tone, comes from your choice of pick, regardless of how you hold it.

really ? I have always considered that it wasn't important at all ! And how do you make your choice please ?
Quote by _tim*
really ? I have always considered that it wasn't important at all ! And how do you make your choice please ?
It is a pretty big consideration, at least with respect to playing acoustic instruments. If you're playing with the tube screamer kicked in, probably wouldn't hear the difference.

Basically, I've found thicker picks, "clatter and tinkle" less, while producing a more solid bottom end. "Smoother" perhaps applies as well.

That said, I have a tough time hanging onto heavy a pick, and settle for mediums most of the time. I find I need some give in a pick, to be able to hang on in fast rhythms strumming.

And perhaps more "oddly", I think Fender's celluloid, sounds better than some other brands, gauge for gauge, and style for style.
Quote by Captaincranky
It is a pretty big consideration, at least with respect to playing acoustic instruments. If you're playing with the tube screamer kicked in, probably wouldn't hear the difference.

All right, i play blues, punk, hardrock and metal, so i don't have to worry about this ^^ Thanks
Quote by _tim*
All right, i play blues, punk, hardrock and metal, so i don't have to worry about this ^^ Thanks

On the contrary, there is a big difference between picks even under high gain. Change between something like dunlop tortex (round tip) and ultex sharp there is no question which has more attack in sound. And thickness brings another variable but comfort is what matters more in that regard.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by ibzshredder
tortex 0.60 orange tell me what you think
Um, wouldn't your ears be a better judge of this than mine?