Hey guys.
The unfortunate happened that my trustworthy cheap shitty Epiphone guitar stopped working. It must be a problem with the electronics.
So now I'm looking to buy a new guitar, this time around it's going be a quality guitar that I hopefully won't have to replace at any point (unless I become super famous, which I wont). Quality guitar does not spend I can afford an american made PRS, unfortunately. In other words, my budget has a limit.
The candidates atm are:

ESP LTD H-1001 - http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-guitar/h-1001fm.html^

PRS SE Custom 24 - http://www.prsguitars.com/secustom24/

Sterling JP-100 - http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid20018/cid671/sterling-by-music-man-jp100-john-petrucci-model-in-trans-black.asp

These are the ones that I'm currently leaning towards. The JP-100 is on a pretty large discount atm, but unfortunately it's not the 100D version so it does not have Dimarzio pickups.
I'm hoping to hear people's experiences with either of the guitars and their quality. I really want my next guitar to be solid and reliable.
If you think there are better guitars in the same price range, please let me know which ones and why.
Ideally I would want a guitar without a tremolo, because I simply won't use it and I've heard there can be troubles with the tuning.
A lot of great guitars feature a tremolo though, so I guess it's not all bad.

So yep. Shoot. Every little thought is appreciated

Best regards

Kris
http://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/P~IBA-RG1570Z-BK~Prestige-RG-Japanese?attributes=

assuming you're ok with a locking tremolo

that's in their clearance sale, too, so it was probably on display (and i haven't tried it so i don't know the exact condition it's in).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 13, 2013,
Just fix your output jack. 99% of the time when someone's guitar just stops working it's the jack.
Quote by KrisHQ
Hey guys.
The unfortunate happened that my trustworthy cheap shitty Epiphone guitar stopped working. It must be a problem with the electronics.

So now I'm looking to buy a new guitar,

WHAT?!?

A simple electronics problem and we're off to buy a new guitar?
Quote by dspellman
WHAT?!?

I once broke a string and bought a new guitar.
dude you realize you can probably rewire the whole guitar for 100 bucks labor? probably no parts cost? most parts inside a guitar can be replaced for about 10-30 bucks total not including pickups.

electronic guitars are about as simple as wiring gets. like childs play. not rocket science...a few wires, some solder. pots.

____

to answer your question - i like the prs and the sterling. i very much dislike the ESP. i hate those style of guitars. i think they are silly, "all hat and no cattle". so much flashy finishes, binding, etc. its all plastic and laminate. you really think all of that is real? the guitar would be $5000.00 or more. the whole guitar is fake.

i thikn PRS SEs are a great value and feel great.

i LOVE the music man JP models, so the sterlings peak my interest. however, i have no idea what sterling quality is like. if it is more than acceptable, then i may go for the sterling. that JP style tremolo is very awesome and so if the comfort of the body. hopefully teh quality of that bridge is decent to good.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by dspellman
WHAT?!?

Yea.. I've needed less of an excuse to buy a new one.. like...... OH Crap!!! It's Tuesday...

I need a new guitar...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Haha. Yeah, it might sound weird to get a new guitar because of an eletronics problem.
I've already tried tigthening everything inside, and made sure nothing was loose. The reason for buying a guitar is simply that at some point, I will need a new one.
This is an Epiphone Special SG model that I bought for pretty much nothing a few years back. So this might be a good time for a new guitar
Thanks for the suggestions, but what makes you recommend these guitars?
Why are they better?

The Fernandes definitely has my interest, but I've never heard of the brand. Can anyone share their experience with Fernandes Guitars?
Unfortunately I live in Europe, and it seems Fernandes are shipping from America, and I would have to pay VAT.
Last edited by KrisHQ at Nov 14, 2013,
Fernandes/Burny is a Japanese company that's been around a while. I have 2 Fernandes Ravelles.

On the whole, they tend to target musicians who are playing heavier rock styles: hotter pickups, relatively slender necks. Quality seems to be pretty good, overall.

The link I posted was to their online direct-sales store. You may be able to find a better deal- read, one closer to home that might not have the same VAT issues- from one of the retailers who carry their stuff.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 14, 2013,
Epiphone and broken electronics is not an "if" but a "when".

That being said, Pickup switch and jack are the most common of faults.

If you want a new guitar...well buy a new guitar always good to have more.

Just letting you know, try switching those parts out yourself. If it's not one of these you only "lost" like 5 bucks max.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Switches are an easy fix... and your mostly likely culprit.

If I had to choose... I would go for the PRS. You won't be sorry!
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
The choice is most likely going to fall on either the PRS SE or the Sterling JP-100.
The SE is a bit more expensive than the JP-100, while the JP is on sale. The major thing for me is that the JP comes with locking tuners, while the PRS does not.
I dont know why, but it's something that I've always thought was neat. How much a difference does it actually make? And isn't it great to have locking tuners with a tremolo?
Quote by DUISparky
Switches, jacks, and pots are easy fixes - as long as you know how to solder. The problem may not even be a bad component, but merely a bad/cold solder joint somewhere. Resoldering all the connections could fix your old crappy Epi.

But then you wouldn't "need" that new guitar so maybe I should just shut up huh?

Haha nope. It's all good. I might try it at some point, just for the sake of having a few guitars.
Quote by Tom 1.0

that's also a good call
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?