Poll: What is your preferred payment method?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is your preferred payment method?
Cash
35 41%
Debit card
30 35%
Credit card
8 9%
Prepaid card
0 0%
Check
0 0%
Other
3 3%
Joke option
10 12%
Voters: 86.
Page 1 of 2
When you're out buying things at a brick-and-mortar establishment, what is your preferred payment method? Assume that the establishment accepts cash, checks, debit cards, credit cards, et cetera. I've noticed both of what I would call the "extremes" on various forums, from the "cash is king" viewpoint to the "I have more credit cards than fingers" viewpoint.

As for me, I would have to go with the credit card now. I was recently approved for my second one, and I'm pretty much set -- my limits are high enough to cover my regular purchases, and I earn cash back with every purchase. Sure, it might not seem like a lot with each purchase, but it does add up over the course of a year. I pay my balances in full each month, so I never pay any interest. (Of course, I also have the self-discipline not to spend more than I should. Overspending would negate any rewards.)

To be fair, I do still carry cash, which I typically use at smaller "mom and pop"-type stores so they aren't hit with the credit card processing fees. However, for bigger places, credit transactions are easier to track for me, and I feel much safer using my credit cards online over my debit card ($0 liability, and my bank account won't instantly be wiped out if my number is taken).

How about you, Pit?
Cash.

I don't feel like I have spent money when I swipe a card.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
This nigga made the poll public. Im bout to fraud you all.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I have one credit card that has a high enough limit for monthly stuff. It gets me frequent flyer points that are useful for when I go home. I pay it off every month so no interest. Only real exception is stuff for the house that I use the debit card for the joint house account I have with my girlfriend
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by doomded
Cash.

I don't feel like I have spent money when I swipe a card.
I totally know what you mean. I do notice a difference when I'm forking over bills versus swiping a card, but I've gotten so used to tracking my expenses in a spreadsheet that I end up seeing the same effects when I enter the transaction.
Cash. Apparently I'm the only one cause whenever I go to buy something they immediately say "credit or debit?" and when I hand them paper money it catches them off guard. I just like knowing that when I hand them the cash and get the receipt. It's all said and done. I don't have to worry about there being some hold or something wrong with my bank account.
Quote by sam b
Debit Card

Also

Cheque.

Hey m8 check if I have my checks please.

ffs 'murica
My bad! Americans just have to be difficult.

Quote by Wormholes
Cash. Apparently I'm the only one cause whenever I go to buy something they immediately say "credit or debit?" and when I hand them paper money it catches them off guard. I just like knowing that when I hand them the cash and get the receipt. It's all said and done. I don't have to worry about there being some hold or something wrong with my bank account.
I do enjoy the feeling of being done with the transaction then and there, which is one of the things that bothers me about paying with credit. However, I can delay paying for purchases for around a month with no interest while my money sits gaining interest before I pay the bill, so I guess there's an advantage there.
i use my credit card like a charge card too. regular money is full of germs.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by TEK34
With a bag of blue.

A big bag?

What are you buying? A car?
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
It really depends on the amount I'm spending. If it's about $30-40 or less, I'll typically use cash if I have enough on me.

Otherwise I use a debit/credit card.

The only real exception is at the bar. I prefer to pay with cash each time I get a drink. Easier to keep track of how much I spend, rather than running up a tab on my card.
Cash or credit

In Aus we have something called paywave where you just tap your card to the ATM and it will process everything without the need to pin/sign (only under $100)

For big purchases I'll usually pay cash (guitars, amps, cars)

Quick and easy
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I make tips at my current job, so it's a lot more convenient to just use cash now. I used to exclusively use my debit card. I just got approved for my first credit card, so I'll probably be using that now, and immediately paying everything off.
Debit card. I don't even carry cash anymore.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
debit. pretty much exclusively. its just easier.

this and what stew said. cash is for women and children.
pinga
Cash, I hate credit/debit cards and checks. Since I make most of my money off tips (when I'm working anyway) I usually end paying for everything with $1 bills.
Cash. But really it depends on the situation. Big purchases, yeah card it. But cash for smaller transactions such as buying a round at a pub.
Cash if I've got some, card if not (and for bigger purchases).
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Cash if I have it. Debit if I don't (but I usually withdraw enough to cover me for most situations)
There's also s

Credit card for emergencies and anything over $150.

Quote by N_J_B_B
Cash or credit

In Aus we have something called paywave where you just tap your card to the ATM and it will process everything without the need to pin/sign (only under $100)

We have something like that here too. Actually 2 things, one is Ez-link which is mostly used for public transport but you can use it in some shops and restaurants and I think it has a limit. Then there's NETS Flashpay which doesn't have a limit and lot more shops/restaurants accept it.
cat
Credit/Debit Card

Cash when I have, which I usually don't. I'd rather leave it in my account and spend off the card.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
my life is lived through plastic cards
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by guhtar
I totally know what you mean. I do notice a difference when I'm forking over bills versus swiping a card, but I've gotten so used to tracking my expenses in a spreadsheet that I end up seeing the same effects when I enter the transaction.

I'm actually the opposite. I can check my balance on my phone and base what I have left to spend on what bills I've yet to pay and such. I usually totally forget I even have cash, and when I find it, it's like "woo free money" that doesn't even factor in my account Balance. Every bill is payed through my debit, and it's much more of a hassle (usually) than it's worth to put money back into my account, so I just don't even count cash unless I take it out for a specific reason (like when I payed my rent in cash). I've got an account where I get unlimited debit uses as well, so it's just easier to debit everything. Plus I ****ing HATE change. **** change. Even since Canada got rid of the pennies. It's better without them, but still sucks ass.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Nov 14, 2013,
cash. mostly spare change though.

steam siphons away all the money in my bank account.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I use debit. I never have cash and it was really annoying since I had to withdraw coins every few weeks because the washing machine was coin operated.
I prefer using cash, but I do use my debit card when I don't have any on me. Since I spent a couple of weeks in Germany last summer, I've become used to withdraw cash as soon as I expect I might need it...

Quote by naedauuf
I ****ing HATE change. **** change. Even since Canada got rid of the pennies. It's better without them, but still sucks ass.

This. I always take my 1p, 2p, 5p and 10p coins out of my wallet so that I'll actually be able to pay with change without sorting through eight different types of change. Last year when I moved out of uni accommodation, I threw away £15 in change because it was too heavy to bring back to Norway, and I could only deposit about half of it because Santander hasn't use some sort of ancient, time-consuming method of depositing change...

At least I don't pay with cash all that often this year since I usually order my groceries on the web..
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Nov 14, 2013,
Debit because I rarely carry cash, unless I know I'm going somewhere that only takes cash.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by sfaune92
This. I always take my 1p, 2p, 5p and 10p coins out of my wallet so that I'll actually be able to pay with change without sorting through eight different types of change. Last year when I moved out of uni accommodation, I threw away £15 in change because it was too heavy to bring back to Norway, and I could only deposit about half of it because Santander hasn't use some sort of ancient, time-consuming method of depositing change...

At least I don't pay with cash all that often this year since I usually order my groceries on the web..
Change can be a bit cumbersome when it piles up, but sometimes it's an easy way to develop a bit of a "fund" for fun purchases if you keep it in a bucket or jar somewhere safe. With that said, over this last summer I paid cash for lunch daily and accumulated enough change to pay with exact change most days, and it about all ran out by the end of the summer, which was good.
I have no credit cards but I use my debit card most of the time. When it's something I don't need like clothes, makeup or whatever, I'll use cash. That way it really hurts when I spend it and I think about it more.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
there are a ton of local joints that don't accept credit cards. but there ain't nowhere that don't accept cold hard cash.
Page 1 of 2