Hey everyone,
Im trying to get this sound on guitar. Its the sound that Kirk Hammett (Of Metallica) is doing on their new album "Through the never", the sound in the beginning of "Master of Puppets" and "Enter Sandman" (and by beginning I mean Very beginning).

Thanks for your time!
Your reading this!
Last edited by mikefire at Nov 13, 2013,
It sounds like he's using feedback. Look it up and you'll find plenty of guides on it. It's a pretty common guitar technique.
Last edited by TheHydra at Nov 14, 2013,
At least in the very beginning of those songs (just before the song actually starts) there's some feedback. To achieve feedback you just need distortion and loud volume. At lower volumes you need to have your guitar really close to the amp and have lots of gain. But the higher the volume, the easier it is to achieve feedback.

Feedback happens when the amp's sound makes your strings vibrate. That's why you need loud volume to achieve it. At low volumes your amp isn't loud enough to make your strings vibrate on their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luURyH9fzhk

But if you want to make squealing sounds like Zakk Wylde, they are called pinch harmonics (though Zakk Wylde overuses the technique way too much). It's kind of similar sound but you don't need loud volumes to do it. When I was new to guitar, I actually thought they were the same thing. And even if you weren't after it, it's still a cool technique, as long as you don't overuse it like Zakk Wylde.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1-i9yC6R-k
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 14, 2013,
I'm guessing when you refer to the beginning of Master of Puppets, you mean the guitar tone in general, since they go straight into THAT riff.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they were using a Mark IIC+ back then?

You could get a similiar tone on a Mesa Boogie Mark V or Triaxis.
Quote by Mesadave
I'm guessing when you refer to the beginning of Master of Puppets, you mean the guitar tone in general, since they go straight into THAT riff.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they were using a Mark IIC+ back then?

You could get a similiar tone on a Mesa Boogie Mark V or Triaxis.

No. He was talking about the Through the Never version of the song. There's some feedback before the song starts.

But yeah, on Master of Puppets album they used Mesa and I think they also used Marshalls. But TS was after the feedback sound and it can be achieved with any amp, as long as you are playing loud enough.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115