First post!

So I have a Peavey 6505+ head (6L6GC power section, mixed preamp) running into a Blackheart 4x12 cab with the Eminence Blackheart (actually the discontinued Stonehenge model) speakers.

I play a mix of grindcore, crust and death metal and find the Blackheart's speakers to be good, bright, and grind-y, but lacking in low end punch. So I put it to you guys, what do you think I should do? I was thinking of swapping out 2 of the speakers and doing a mixed set, possibly with Eminence Swamp Thangs or Cannabis Rexes.

What do you guys think?
Quote by fvkmeowmix
First post!

So I have a Peavey 6505+ head (6L6GC power section, mixed preamp) running into a Blackheart 4x12 cab with the Eminence Blackheart (actually the discontinued Stonehenge model) speakers.

I play a mix of grindcore, crust and death metal and find the Blackheart's speakers to be good, bright, and grind-y, but lacking in low end punch. So I put it to you guys, what do you think I should do? I was thinking of swapping out 2 of the speakers and doing a mixed set, possibly with Eminence Swamp Thangs or Cannabis Rexes.

What do you guys think?

somebody gave me a blackheart speaker and it has been in a few cabs, but they really aren't that great. look at WGS, they have a solid reputation, however i cannot morally say they are better than celestion or eminence s because i haven't played a WGS, but i know some people who do play them, and i trust their reputatiion.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a 212 with WGS Reaper HPs.

I don't find them to be particularly better or worse than Celestions, just a little different. Most of their appeal is that they "tweak" the Celestions to try to make them better. Like their V30 clones have a smaller mid spike, stuff like that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I have a 212 with WGS Reaper HPs.

I don't find them to be particularly better or worse than Celestions, just a little different. Most of their appeal is that they "tweak" the Celestions to try to make them better. Like their V30 clones have a smaller mid spike, stuff like that.

he is one of those people i said when i trust people who have him. +1 offworld.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I just ordered a Swamp Thang to replace one of the Celestions in my 412 cab for the same reason -- to get more low-end punch. I'll let you know how it turns out...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Only one?
I heard that C-Rex was loud but hell, the less money thrown in the better.
As for the WGS speakers, they sound good but I'm not sure how they'll stand up to high gain tones.
Came back to this thread realizing that I didn't give an actual suggestion!

Have you tried your amp with G12T-75s, or any variation? That would be where I would start. If that doesn't work out for you, look at the G12K-100s or 80s, or something based on that.

So look at the Reaper HM75 and the Eminence Man O' War.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 14, 2013,
Quote by fvkmeowmix
Only one?

That's all I can afford for now, lol. Eventually I'll get another ST and a second Governor and cross them. But since the Governor I have is about 6db louder than my Celestions, I think it and my new Swamp T will still stand out in the mix (They are almost matched in loudness).
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Apparently, the Stonehenge/Blackheart speakers are Emi's take on the G12-65. I dig the way they sound, punchy and bright, but I'm thinking I want something a little darker to balance it out and fill out the low end a bit.
I haven't tried my amp with any other speakers (minus whatever was in my old Raven 4x12 but that's GC store brand, so I take it with a serving of salt)
Quote by fvkmeowmix
I was thinking of swapping out 2 of the speakers and doing a mixed set, possibly with Eminence Swamp Thangs or Cannabis Rexes.

What do you guys think?

I think that simply replacing a speaker or two in a 4x12 won't work.

You'll talk yourself into thinking that the couple of hundred bucks you spent was well worth it, and that'll last all of about 10 weeks, and then you'll realize that you tossed good money after bad.

To produce bottom end somewhere outside of your bedroom, you need:

1. A driver (speaker) that can actually produce those frequencies, in a cabinet that will assist it to do so (a 4x12 ain't it)

2. Enough power to reproduce those frequencies (100W tube amps ain't it).

I run a modeler -> Carvin HD1500 (1500W SS power amp) -> two fEARless F115s (Google them). The cabinets weigh around 40lbs each, the power amp about 9 lbs, the whole rig fits in the back of a Honda FIT (Jazz to some of the world) and will blow Marshall stacks, SVTs and loud drummers off the stage. And they WILL reproduce the lows, trust me.

You might consider the ISP Technologies Vector SL (SL = Steve Lukather). Run the output of your Hugh Jass 2 Bamp into the back of the Vector SL. The electronics strip out the lows and keep them there. The rest of the signal runs to your standard favorite guitar speakers (4x12, whatever) and that reproduces the mids and highs -- LOUD, because the signal doesn't have to run the lows. Meanwhile, the lows get run into the Vector SL and into a 600W power amp and then into a 15" subwoofer in a specially designed cabinet. Job done. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/isp-technologies-vector-sl-steve-lukather-600w-active-guitar-subwoofer

Weighs 95 lbs.

Last edited by dspellman at Nov 14, 2013,
I'm not trying to turn it into a bass machine, just trying to compensate for the Stonehenge's upper mid range.
I'll keep all that in mind if I need something HUGE in the future
Quote by fvkmeowmix
I'm not trying to turn it into a bass machine, just trying to compensate for the Stonehenge's upper mid range.
I'll keep all that in mind if I need something HUGE in the future

You're better off spending $100 on a good EQ (BOSS GE7 or MXR M108 7-band or 10-band Graphic EQ, respectively). Try one and see what you get. Just don't bump up the bass in an attempt to get brootalz bottom end; it'll just screw things up.

Most guitar speakers have a serious bump in the mids around 2000 Hz.

Swapping out speakers one or two at a time is hit or miss; if the new speakers have lower sensitivity than the other two, those two will still dominate and you'll have gained nothing. Between the various speaker companies, there's little agreement or correspondence on sensitivity (efficiency) ratings and the ones that ARE there are averages, subject to batch variations during manufacture.

Finally, never make decisions about your tone based on bedroom volumes*. Everything will change once you start turning it up or start recording with it.

*unless that's all you plan to do, ever.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 14, 2013,
I haven't tried the blackheart ones, but as trashed says, most of those OEM eminences aren't that great (as opposed to the normal USA-made eminences, which IMO are).

you'd really probably be looking at swapping 4 speakers. which gets expensive quickly. Might be cheaper to just sell your cab and get a better cab which already has good speakers. unless you have very specific wants/needs for the speakers which you can't get in an off-the-shelf cabinet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an MXR 10-band that I'm running in the fx loop, and while I can pull some extra grit out of it, it's not enough. Maybe I'm not using it properly?

I'll have to see if any cabs at GC near here have the types of speakers Offworld mentioned so I can try them in person
Marshall 1960s are dimes a dozen. They have G12T75s. I don't think you'll find Man O Wars in anything you can find in person.

I think the Marshall MF cabs have G12Ks, but they're not common.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 14, 2013,
^^ an eq in the loop will only really add volume under most circumstances. if you want more distortion you need it in front of the amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?