Looking into a getting a half stack. Trying to decide between a Randall RX120RH and RX412 Half Stack or a Fender Mustang V Half Stack.

[forbidden link]

or

[forbidden link]

A bit of information on the Fender but not so much on the Randall. I do hear that the Randall has killer low end and crunch for the heavier stuff which I play a lot of.

The Fender seems real good but a bit sceptical of the build in effects and the longevity of the more complex head.

I can spend about 600 or 700 dollars tops. If I get the Randall I can still afford a Tube Screamer and a Distortion pedal. If I get the Fender I am basically stuck with the built in effects for a while. I do however have an Alesis Quardverb though its not the quietest piece of gear every made.

I do play a lot of heavy stuff but would like go get the one that' more versatile probably.

Unless anyone can suggest a good tube amp in the price range but even the lower wattage combo setups are $$$.
Quote by rfxcasey
Looking into a getting a half stack. Trying to decide between a Randall RX120RH and RX412 Half Stack or a Fender Mustang V Half Stack.

[forbidden link]

or

[forbidden link]

A bit of information on the Fender but not so much on the Randall. I do hear that the Randall has killer low end and crunch for the heavier stuff which I play a lot of.

The Fender seems real good but a bit sceptical of the build in effects and the longevity of the more complex head.

I can spend about 600 or 700 dollars tops. If I get the Randall I can still afford a Tube Screamer and a Distortion pedal. If I get the Fender I am basically stuck with the built in effects for a while. I do however have an Alesis Quardverb though its not the quietest piece of gear every made.

I do play a lot of heavy stuff but would like go get the one that' more versatile probably.

Unless anyone can suggest a good tube amp in the price range but even the lower wattage combo setups are $$$.

don't buy either. money in the trash can. look around for a peavey ultra+ xxx or jsx all in your budget. may stretch a tad with a cab, but if you are patient you can find them all in combo form in your budeget,

jet city (mike soldano's budget line) makes good things cheaply.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
just to knock some bullshit off,

wattage does NOT equal volume either. just because its 100 watts doesn't mean it cant sound good quiet. you don't have to crank a tube for good tone either. personally i would only go tube, they are simple to take care of. if the amp is taken care of, the tubes can last a long time. they are not an extreme expensive for maintenance.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Well what would be a good wattage tube amp to get that will keep up with a drummer?
Quote by rfxcasey
Well what would be a good wattage tube amp to get that will keep up with a drummer?

it really depends how hard your drummer hits and whether or not your amp is mic'd. if you mic'd even 10 watts would do with a proper PA and somebody knows what they are doing on the soundboard.

i probably should have mentioned that the lower your wattage the less 'headroom' you have, which basically means how loud you can stay clean without any grit (gain).

i have gigged with anything from 18 to 120 watts. different things call for different amps.

there are just too many variables to know for sure. i like having 50 watts, 30 i would feel okay at 30. at that point you will still have cleans at a loud volume. (EVERYTHING I AM SAYING IS REGARDING TUBE AMPS)speakers also make a difference. speaker efficiency is a big factor in volume.

more speakers doesn't make you audibly louder, but you will cover more ground. 2x12"s (two 12" speakers in one cab) are fine, but i sometimes take one of my 4x12" (four 12" speakers in the cab).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Don't know much, but never liked the idea of micing an amp. Seems like your just adding more variables to the equation and getting farther away from the original sound or purity. I seem used speaker cabinets 4x12 at Guitar center for around $100, names like Randall and Behringer. If I bought say this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head-104003231-i1145525.gc?esid=104003231

With one of these possibly used

http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--BEHBG412H

Would you all approve of that purchase?
Last edited by rfxcasey at Nov 14, 2013,
Quote by rfxcasey
Don't know much, but never liked the idea of micing an amp. Seems like your just adding more variables to the equation and getting farther away from the original sound or purity. I seem used speaker cabinets 4x12 at Guitar center for around $100, names like Randall and Behringer. If I bought say this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head-104003231-i1145525.gc?esid=104003231

With a used speaker cabinet 4x12 for between 100 to 200 $ would you all approve of that purchase?

i really would stress the ultra+/xxx/JSX, better amps. more versatile.

you can find valve kings used ~$250-$300. i owned one for a while. they are decent amps. they don't get a ton of love, but as long as you realize that you won't get extreme metal out of the OD channel and do a few other easier things they can be decent amps. nice cleans too.

mic'ing amps is the best. you hear yourself, and everybody all the way to the back does too through the PA. so everybody can be heard and not just people in proximity to the amp.

before you make any decision go to a music store and play around. see what sounds best to your ears.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Ha, I don't care out what sounds best to my ear, its what sounds best to everyone else. All joking aside. I'll check out that amp you mentioned but you didn't say anything regarding speaker cabinets.
Quote by rfxcasey
Ha, I don't care out what sounds best to my ear, its what sounds best to everyone else. All joking aside. I'll check out that amp you mentioned but you didn't say anything regarding speaker cabinets.

its not a single amp, its a Peavey XXX or a JSX or a Ultra+ (they are much older) but they are all three very versatile amps. if i were personally to pick one i would go jsx. but you really need to decide how you like it.

cabs, i would see what floats by on craigslist and post up here if you can't find anything from google.

cabs are basically speaker boxes. the thing you really want to avoid is MDF, as long as its plywood its not terrible in construction (not considering speakers) most the time. speakers trump cab. baltic birch is the ideal cabinet wood, but most cases with your budget you would probably just get some form of ply. speakers are the most important.

a year or two ago i picked up a cab for $50. 4x12" kept the speakers sold the cab empty for maybe $30-$40 and the speakers if new would cost over $400 easily and they were in great shape. just see what comes your way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
So the Triple is a 3 channel? How does that work out with 4 speakers? Bye the way I have an old Peavy 112 Combo I've had for 20 years. I recently bought a new PRS 245 SE and I'm looking to upgrade the rest of the rig.
Last edited by rfxcasey at Nov 14, 2013,
Quote by rfxcasey
So the Triple is a 3 channel? How does that work out with 4 speakers? Bye the way I have an old Peavy 112 Combo I've had for 20 years. I recently bought a new PRS 245 SE and I'm looking to upgrade the rest of the rig.

all the three channel means is that you esentially have two different types of sounds you can switch back and fourth without adjustment. in the xxx and jsx, you have a clean channel, a crunch channel, and an extremely high gain channel. has nothing to do with speakers. only one channel can be on at a time.

the 6505+ combo is $600 new, but it is more of a high gain with limited midgain and somewhat on clean.

krank are at a pretty decent price (the smaller heads 20 and 50 watts) they go cheap on GC's used site. http://www.guitarcenter.com/used-gear.gc that is a good place for other things too.

you could look into the jet city as well. they are pretty cheap.

do you have any specific tone you like? song? band? album. we can get closer to what you want.

i threw out what i did because you wanted heavey and versatile and a good price, and are relatively common for a good price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Fill this out:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

For now, I second the XXX/JSX recommendation. It covers a lot of ground from mellow stuff to very heavy downtuned death metal.

Regarding cabs, nothing wrong with MDF itself as by nature it is a good material to build speakers from (stiff, low resonating...) but for cabs dragged from gig to gig its not recommended because it cannot take abuse and most of all its HEAVY. But good speakers is the most important thing. The Behringer cab you linked is all MDF and doesnt have good speakers but if its the only cab you can afford for now its better than nothing. But you might get a better 2x12 for the same price.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 14, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus

Regarding cabs, nothing wrong with MDF itself as by nature it is a good material to build speakers from (stiff, low resonating...) but for cabs dragged from gig to gig its not recommended because it cannot take abuse and most of all its HEAVY.

Agreed. MDF is actually superior to cheap plywood from a sonic standpoint because it's void-free by design. (A cab made out of inexpensive plywood WILL 'rattle'. If not immediately, then eventually.)

But as noted MDF won't take as much abuse (and NO water damage at all...)

Quote by trashedlostfdup

more speakers doesn't make you audibly louder,

Yeah it does.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Nov 14, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
Fill this out:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

For now, I second the XXX/JSX recommendation. It covers a lot of ground from mellow stuff to very heavy downtuned death metal.

Regarding cabs, nothing wrong with MDF itself as by nature it is a good material to build speakers from (stiff, low resonating...) but for cabs dragged from gig to gig its not recommended because it cannot take abuse and most of all its HEAVY. But good speakers is the most important thing. The Behringer cab you linked is all MDF and doesnt have good speakers but if its the only cab you can afford for now its better than nothing. But you might get a better 2x12 for the same price.

i really do not like MDF. i havn't owned one personally, but i have seen water get into MDF, it falls apart just like saw dust (which is to some degree is what it is). not very hard, just not a good thing overall.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i really do not like MDF. i havn't owned one personally, but i have seen water get into MDF, it falls apart just like saw dust (which is to some degree is what it is). not very hard, just not a good thing overall.

But who in their right mind leaves their cabs outside in the rain?

MDF needs a prolonged direct exposure to water before it starts to absorb it and get damaged. It is very densely compressed so it doesnt absorb liquid that well. Water does ruin it but a little moisture does not. The surface is almost water proof, its the sawed edges that need some protection.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 14, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus

MDF needs a prolonged direct exposure to water before it starts to absorb it and get damaged. It is very densely compressed so it doesnt absorb liquid that well. Water does ruin it but a little moisture does not. The surface is almost water proof, its the sawed edges that need some protection.

I think perhaps the biggest problem with MDF from a 'gigging' standpoint is that when it does fail it does so catastrophically. Ply, even cheap ply, will 'flex' a LOT before it actually fails, but MDF is significantly more rigid and won't withstand the abuse that ply will. Couple that with the fact that construction quality is generally lower in an MDF cab (after all, they are trying to meet a price point) and you've a recipe for problems.

IME, it doesn't actually take that much water (or alternative liquid) to cause edge damage to MDF, but that could be overcome I suppose by edge sealing the cut pieces. (And that would add cost...)

I think MDF is fine for a home and perhaps even an occasional use cab, but I'd never even consider one for road duty.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it really depends how hard your drummer hits and whether or not your amp is mic'd. if you mic'd even 10 watts would do with a proper PA and somebody knows what they are doing on the soundboard.

more speakers doesn't make you audibly louder, but you will cover more ground. 2x12"s (two 12" speakers in one cab) are fine, but i sometimes take one of my 4x12" (four 12" speakers in the cab).

Here's my take.

Minimum wattage:

A 30-50W 2x12 tube amp with a pair of efficient speakers (Vintage30s, Eminence Tonkers, etc.) will generally be plenty loud enough to balance with an unmiked drummer.

More speakers will not (necessarily) "cover more ground".

I've got four 4x12s. These days they all sit in storage. Here are the physics: The larger the speaker, the lower the frequency at which they will begin to beam. The formula is the speed of light in inches (about 13,500) divided by the cone diameter. The actual speaker cone diameter of a 12" speaker is about 10.3", and they'll begin to beam at around 1400Hz. A 15" speaker's cone diameter is around 13.3", and it will begin to beam at around 1000Hz. Now here's where it gets tricky. A square 4x12 will act like a single large speaker with a diameter of around 27-30". It will begin to beam at around 500 Hz. This is why anyone walking in front of a 4x12 will hear ice-pick treble when they get on-axis and will hear something much mellower if they're standing with ears above or off to one side of it. A much better configuration for four 12" speakers would be a stack of them, four tall and a single 12" speaker wide. This would give you even narrower dispersion top to bottom, but pretty wide dispersion (in the main guitar frequencies) side to side.

Killer low end crunch:

If you're in your bedroom, almost anything will sound good. That's because you're not using much power to produce volume; it can go toward low end. It takes a LOT more power to produce bottom than it does midrange (the usual guitar frequencies). It's also because you're in a room, which means you have floors and walls, which add both acoustic and mechanical coupling. Since we're talking bottom end, and since bass players know all about this stuff, I'll refer you to this: http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/stage-or-floor-coupling.htm .

The thing is, when you get into a gigging situation and the walls disappear and stage coupling doesn't count much any more, and the volume goes up, your bottom end will tend to disappear. This is the old joke about Marshall half-stacks. Worse, a 4x12 sucks as a speaker cabinet with bottom end. Virtually everything has rolled off below 110Hz. Just as a reference, the low E on your guitar is 82Hz, and almost NO guitar amp actually produces the fundamental; they mostly reproduce harmonics well above that.

If you want low end crunch outside the bedroom, there are several ways to get it. One is to let the bass player do it (best advice *ever*). Two is to reduce the gain you're using (too much gain muddles things because it's adding harmonics above the notes you're playing) -- a lot. Third is to introduce both a speaker cabinet *and the power necessary* to reproduce those frequencies.

Steve Lukather had ISP Technologies build him the Vector SL. It's a cabinet that houses a single 15" subwoofer. The electronics take the signal from your amp head (which actually has all those frequencies that we want), separates the low end stuff and feeds it to a 600W (yup) built-in amp that feeds that 15" subwoofer and then passes the rest on to his normal speaker cabinet. So you get all of the power of your normal amp head feeding the normal speakers, but they're essentially only reproducing from the low mids up, and that allows them to be louder, because the power isn't being wasted trying to reproduce the lows. That's being done by the powered subwoofer. http://www.isptechnologies.com/portfolio/vector-sl-active-guitar-subwoofer/

I've gone a different direction.

I run a modeler (either a Pod HD or an Axe-FX Ultra) into a 1500W solid state power amp into a pair of full-range speaker cabinets (fEARless F115s) originally designed for bass players.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 14, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus

Sadly, I've watched 4x12s made of MDF disintegrate due to water or impact damage.

An overnight stored in a leaky trailer during a rain while on the road? Done.
Tired roadies forget to lash down the B3 and put an MDF cabinet in harm's way? Done.

This is the real reason we stuff things into heavy travel cases -- because this kind of thing happens all the time on the road.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
personally i would only go tube, they are simple to take care of. if the amp is taken care of, the tubes can last a long time. they are not an extreme expensive for maintenance.

I love tube amps. I've got maybe 15 of them.

But they're fragile. I've seen a head dropped no more than 3 feet and taken out of commission with a very expensive repair. Heavy transformers can tear right out of an amp chassis. I've certainly seen my share of chassis bent up simply because a roadie thought the case for an amp head would pack in the trailer better on end than upright. A few nights on bumpy roads and you're cooked.

Some solid state stuff doesn't like a lot of vibration, but it holds up a LOT better than tubes under most conditions.
Quote by rfxcasey
So the Triple is a 3 channel? How does that work out with 4 speakers?

Huh? You may be unclear on a concept or two, here...
Quote by dspellman
Sadly, I've watched 4x12s made of MDF disintegrate due to water or impact damage.

An overnight stored in a leaky trailer during a rain while on the road? Done.
Tired roadies forget to lash down the B3 and put an MDF cabinet in harm's way? Done.

This is the real reason we stuff things into heavy travel cases -- because this kind of thing happens all the time on the road.

Oh I was only half serious with the rain comment. Shit happens on the road, I understand that.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by rfxcasey
Don't know much, but never liked the idea of micing an amp. Seems like your just adding more variables to the equation and getting farther away from the original sound or purity.

If you're in a band and running a lot of gain, you've left original sound and purity far behind <G>.

If you play in a club almost anywhere in LA, you'll either be miked or you'll be running direct from a preamp or a speaker cabinet simulator into the mixer. Most bands are moving toward controlling stage volume (hearing damage) and most sound guys want control of the sound (and loud amps on stage screw that up). These are the variables that will be in your equation whether you like it or not.

We have guys showing up at jobs with a double gig bag with a pair of guitars and a Pod stuffed in the front pocket and another bag with cables, spare Pod, foot pedals, strings and odds&ends.

4x12s are quickly becoming little more than stage decor or a sop for a player who wants to feel he's "in a room." Even the back-of-the-flatbed outdoor gigs work better with everyone coming through the PA. Just the facts of life.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 14, 2013,
Quote by rfxcasey
Don't know much, but never liked the idea of micing an amp. Seems like your just adding more variables to the equation and getting farther away from the original sound or purity.

Yet every song you listen to at home is a guitar recorded through a mic (except for the recent surge in modeling on records), as is every live band you heard (always miced) through PA.

I agree that for a guitarist, a sound straight from the amp can't be beat.

On the other hand I've played in a band with a guy playing a 30 watt tube amp, and when we miced it up at a gig we were playing, I was totally amazed how it sounded when amplified through a house PA, more punch then from any stand alone amp I've heard.

So works both ways

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 14, 2013,
Yes, sorry about the flub on the subject of channels. I've been looking at sound cards for the PC lately and the term channel typically relates to stereo or surround depending on what you're dealing with. I guess the idea just got stuck in my head. I'm typing this very early morning. I work 3rd shift and have a messed up sleep pattern so I do and say dumb shit all the time. Drives my crazy really.

Anyways, I'm hearing what is being said and when I stop to think about it I agree that you're really never going to escape a PA or recording variable to a greater extent so why bother trying. Perhaps I should just embrace the concept and experiment with it. It's all it how it sounds and what works anyways so whatever works works regardless.

Hell to that point perhaps I don't even need a new amp. My drummer actually has a PA but I never thought of micing my amp to gain a bit more volume. I'll have to see what like of mics he has. Perhaps I should be looking more into getting a good set of mics vocal/instrument. Is the Sterling Audio ST55 / ST31 Condenser Mic Package decent? I was originally looking into upgrading some of my home recording equipment anyways so a good set of mics could do double duty for both studio and live stuff.
Quote by dspellman
I love tube amps. I've got maybe 15 of them.

But they're fragile. I've seen a head dropped no more than 3 feet and taken out of commission with a very expensive repair. Heavy transformers can tear right out of an amp chassis. I've certainly seen my share of chassis bent up simply because a roadie thought the case for an amp head would pack in the trailer better on end than upright. A few nights on bumpy roads and you're cooked.

Some solid state stuff doesn't like a lot of vibration, but it holds up a LOT better than tubes under most conditions.

not durable? i have dropped tube amps. not that hard or far, but they are fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8
Quote by Arby911
I think perhaps the biggest problem with MDF from a 'gigging' standpoint is that when it does fail it does so catastrophically. Ply, even cheap ply, will 'flex' a LOT before it actually fails, but MDF is significantly more rigid and won't withstand the abuse that ply will. Couple that with the fact that construction quality is generally lower in an MDF cab (after all, they are trying to meet a price point) and you've a recipe for problems.

IME, it doesn't actually take that much water (or alternative liquid) to cause edge damage to MDF, but that could be overcome I suppose by edge sealing the cut pieces. (And that would add cost...)

I think MDF is fine for a home and perhaps even an occasional use cab, but I'd never even consider one for road duty.

this is different, but i had a MDF speaker box in the back of my old mustang 3/4" MDF with a double top layer so 1 1/2" two kicker L7's 5000 watts RMS. well one day the weather stripping got a little messed up, water+mdf, it was falling apart. good thing my backpack was waterproof. amps were mounted in car thouogh so they were fine as well as the subs. you would be amazed what wet MDF does.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 15, 2013,