So I decided that I was bored with my rig, and I also needed some extra cash, so I decided to "downgrade."

I'll get right to the pictures (pretty pitiful quality, need to get a new camera, mine didn't seem to agree with being dropped on concrete):

Untitled by bllyfen8, on Flickr

A shiny new DSL? I think that would be a travesty after having a 900 SL-X in the same room...

a seemingly useless piece of cardboard on top, not sure what that was supposed to achieve

This is actually one of the best packing jobs I have seen from GC, you wouldn't believe what a bitch this was to open

and finally we have on washed out grainy Randall T2!

I have always been kind of curious about these, I figured it couldn't hurt giving it a try, worst come I will just return it.

So far:

I have had this just about a week, so I guess it could be considered a "honeymoon" period, but really this amp is stupid simple, not much to mess with.

For those who don't know, this has a solid state power amp and a tube preamp, so no pretty bright orange/blue glow for me

I will start by saying the clean channel isn't too bad compared with some other high gainers I have had. Compared to the 2 channel Rec I had, its not quite as gritty and actually seems a bit warmer. Better than a 6505 for sure, but it still is kind of boring. this is where the mid-sweep knob comes in handy, based on where you set it you can really thicken up the cleans.

Now onto the important stuff: Dirt! The distortion channel on this thing reminds me of most other Randalls I have played, a little bit refined, for lack of a better word. It is very tight, comparable to a 5150, but not quite as fizzy or compressed. There are two modes, the regular OD mode and then a boosted mode, and it actually holds true to those definitions, the boost mode adds just a bit of compression to make lead runs a little more fluid. Overall I would say that the distortion is precise, it is just a very clean, controlled sort of thing, think the complete opposite of something like a TH30. Again the mid-sweep is awesome, I really liked that feature on my Krank and I am glad I have it here. Setting in low gets a nice thick chunky modern tone, turn it up a bit and you get a singing lead sound.

I do wish that the distortion channel had some more umph to it, similar to my V3 it doesn't seem to really hit you like other metal amps, I will try boosting it (I sold all my pedals not long ago so no OD right now) and see if that helps to give it a bit more punch, but I don't think there is much you can do to fix the apparent lack of balls.

Overall not bad for a cheap one, I'm not sure if I will keep it yet but I do like it, and I have to admit that right now I have a hard time justifying a big expensive toy when I can't afford lunch most days, so it may stay.

Thanks for looking guys!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^

Randalls have a ton of great value amps like this that just completely fly under the radar because of the connotation attached to the name.

I know a while back I was considering a T2/V2.

HNAD!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Bitchin! Always wanted to try one of these... Randall is one of the few amp companies I haven't tried many of. Been eyeing a few of their solid states on CL lately, might have to give one a shot!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks gents.

311: It's funny you say that, I actually thought the same thing when I was looking at them

I think that I might need some blue though, to go with the big blue T.

Offworld: I seem to remember you mentioning something about it, though I could be crazy. Maybe that is what got me on the kick?

Derek: It is a pretty neat amp, I would definitely tell you to try a few, they definitely have a "sound." This is my 3rd, the other two being a RH50T (Love/Hate with that thing, a little bit Marshally but it was still very Randall so it was kind of an oddball) and an RH200, one of the older solid state bits, which I loved to bits, especially considering that I got it for $150. There solid state amps really do have some big beefy sounds, I correlate it with the fact that there amps actually have OTs.

I am curious what the difference is between this T2 and the longer head versions with the green Ts. The long ones are older and I am pretty sure they were more expensive new, like by several hundred bucks, so I am interested in what the difference is as they spec out the same.
Yeah, up for the leds.
Every cool amp's cool glowing comes from leds - see ENGLs.

Anyway, pretty nice!
Happy NAD!!!
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I can be assed to do it I may just record a clip here in a bit.
Welcome to the Randall club. HNAD

Out of interest what type of tubes did it come with? My RM100 had a strange compliment from the shop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Welcome to the Randall club. HNAD

Out of interest what type of tubes did it come with? My RM100 had a strange compliment from the shop.

Well I have been in and out of it

To be honest I haven't even checked what tubes are in it yet, though they need to be replaced, definitely a bit microphonic, I can't play with the TV on at all, it is just too noisy.

Clips coming just as soon as I can upload them.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/dementiacaptain/music/all/play1229657

Go give them a listen guys, let me know what you think. Forgive the somewhat sloppy playing and the clipping on the dirty clip, I thought I had the levels set better but I guess not. It's juts a little bit of quick riffing and noodling, the mic position is kind of just whatever as well.
Team Randall grows.

Sounds pretty sweet to my ears. Have you had a chance to really crank it? How does the solid state power amp affect the sound in those levels?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Team Randall grows.

Sounds pretty sweet to my ears. Have you had a chance to really crank it? How does the solid state power amp affect the sound in those levels?

I haven't gone too loud, but I've had it about a third of the way up. Randall does a good
job warming up these amps, they don't sound tube but they aren't sterile as you would expect. I attribute this to the fact that you actually have some iron in there, which is a big part of why tube amps sound so good
"This is actually one of the best packing jobs I have seen from GC, you wouldn't believe what a bitch this was to open"

That looks pretty good, but my Krank Chadwick 2x12 combo amp came in a box 3'x3'x2'. Completely stuffed with thousands of packing peanuts and inflatable foam, it really couldn't have been safer. I still can't believe I only paid $12.50 for the 108 lb box through UPS 2nd day air... They sent it from TX to FL too.
Last edited by JGM258 at Nov 15, 2013,
Never played the T2, only the V2. Pretty cool amps and they have a nice range of tones. You change amps like I do socks

JGM258 how do you like the Krank? You like it huh? I told you, you would. Post some picks on the Krank thread and a NAD.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Never played the T2, only the V2. Pretty cool amps and they have a nice range of tones. You change amps like I do socks

JGM258 how do you like the Krank? You like it huh? I told you, you would. Post some picks on the Krank thread and a NAD.

You should see how fast I change socks then, huh?

But yeah, I just get bored. It's funny the Chadwick comes up though, I was also considering buying one of those, but I hadn't tried a T2 so I went with that.

JGM: this thing had all the packing peanuts and rigid foam to hold it in place. I'm serious when I say that getting this thing unpacked took 15 minutes. Doesn't help that I couldn't find my knife.
Don't get the Chadwick, get the full sized 1980 if you get a Krank.

Don't get me wrong the Chadwick is awesome (looking at the series 1 head right now) but the 1980 is just a little better. Very Splawn QR type tone and the KT88 add a nice feel also.

So do you feel there is anything lacking in the T2 so far? Or is it going to work for a while?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
HNAD!! Looks sweet

And FYI, that useless piece of cardboard is to protect the amp when an overzealous consumer opens the box with an exacto
Quote by flexiblemile
HNAD!! Looks sweet

And FYI, that useless piece of cardboard is to protect the amp when an overzealous consumer opens the box with an exacto

Ah, should have thought of that. Actually a good idea
i have owned two RG100ES's and the first needed work and sold it for a little bit more (this was probably 5 years ago. the other functioned great but at the time i just didn't have the need to have it and sold it. i have a Century 100 i enjoy now. i have almost walked out of a music store with a used (obvious) RG100ES again at least five times.

but the tube ones are great. i really like their hybrids. HNGD!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/