Page 1 of 3
...for being sexist and promoting rape and misogyny apparently?

I think the song is a catchy tune but I don't get that is promotes rape and misogyny. At least the song itself doesn't, the video can be sort of vulgar but yeah stupid Student Unions banning everything.
Yeah well. Someone was offended. Need there be a more accurate litmus test of rape promotion? I think not.
I hope it's banned totally. My fragile male mind can't handle this song, and I'm liable to become a rapist upon hearing it a few more times.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
They don't outright go and say "Go rape people" but the lyrics get really creepy in a few places.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
They don't outright go and say "Go rape people" but the lyrics get really creepy in a few places.

Yeah but you don't see them banning shit like Rhianna
Quote by RPGoof
They gonna ban Cannibal Corpse too?

If you start the moral outrage then it is possible.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by RPGoof
I'll blow you if any student union has Cannibal Corpse on their playlist.
It's a shit song, I heard it far too many times over the summer, I wish it was banned because it was bad and overplayed.
Quote by JustRooster
Banned from what, exactly?

I believe it has been banned from being played in university bars and other university buildings.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
I believe it has been banned from being played in university bars and other university buildings.

Banned from being played in he Union buildings. Can't be played on club nights etc. and if it comes on the radio, the station must be changed. However in my lab it came on and no one cared about the Union and their stupid rules.

Also you can say stuff like "I know you want it" about anything for example cake.

I wouldn't rape anyone though.
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Nov 14, 2013,
Quote by JustRooster
Banned from what, exactly?

Being played in the student union.

Tons of music is just as bad, or worse, but people like jumping on the same thing when it's under fire. Most of the song can actually be read as feminist. A few passages are too blatant. The music video is a little much from what I've heard.

Banning something is clearly the better option instead of actually educating people on why it could be detrimental. Not like a university would do that or anything.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by I.O.T.M

If good taste had any say in the matter, banning it would be pointless.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Being played in the student union.

Tons of music is just as bad, or worse, but people like jumping on the same thing when it's under fire. Most of the song can actually be read as feminist. A few passages are too blatant. The music video is a little much from what I've heard.

Banning something is clearly the better option instead of actually educating people on why it could be detrimental. Not like a university would do that or anything.

As long as I can still listen to Hacksaw Hystorectomy by Regurgitate, I suppose.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by BladeSlinger

But banning things makes them go away forever right?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Banned from being played in he Union buildings. Can't be played on club nights etc. and if it comes on the radio, the station must be changed. However in my lab it came on and no one cared about the Union and their stupid rules.

Also you can say stuff like "I know you want it" about anything for example cake.

I wouldn't rape anyone though.

I think it's quite obvious that 'I know you want it' is meant in a sexual way, but it isn't necessarily rapey.

S A D B O Y S
Good. It is a rapey song. Why is that not completely obvious?

Quote by RPGoof

They should. I still wish sometimes that mentioning Cannibal Corpse in the Pit would become a bannable offense.
Quote by I.O.T.M
I think it's quite obvious that 'I know you want it' is meant in a sexual way, but it isn't necessarily rapey.
Why is that even a word? I think that's bad semantics.
Quote by archangels
Good. It is a rapey song. Why is that not completely obvious?

They should. I still wish sometimes that mentioning Cannibal Corpse in the Pit would become a bannable offense.

Ban like 50% of pop music then. Ban Christian music cos it offends Muslim. Ban everything if someone could get offended.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Most of the song can actually be read as feminist.
Seriously?
You know that modern american college feminism is getting out of hand when universities are spending time discussing the meanings of tumblrcore songs and how it will affect students and their rape culture.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'm fairly certain the only reason most people have even heard of this song is because of colleges banning it.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Hearing that it keeps being banned makes me want to listen to it.

S A D B O Y S
I don't personally see it as a rapey or misogynistic song, but I can see how others can take it that way or get creeped out by certainly lines, and my own interpretation of the lyrics is obviously not the definitive meaning, so I guess I wouldn't complain. If rapey and weird is the governing body's interpretation of it, then they have the right to act as they see fit. That said, the entire song just sounds like flirting to me. I say things like "I know you want it" to my wife, and I don't think it's rapey, such much as flirting. Sure, saying it to my wife is a lot less risky than saying into to some girl in a club, but surely there are situations where it's made quite clear that said girl in a club "wants it."
Quote by seanlang01
Why is that even a word? I think that's bad semantics.

Why is anything a word? I like it.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Ban like 50% of pop music then. Ban Christian music cos it offends Muslim. Ban everything if someone could get offended.

I'm usually completely against censorship of any kind, but I would be okay with both of those things being banned. Top 40 pop radio mostly blows and 90% of Christian music is just badly written rock music with terrible (and sometimes rapey(Yay! I used it again!)) lyrics about Jesus.
Quote by psyks
Seriously?

Uh, yea. I got tired of taking everyone's word on it and actually looked up the lyrics.

OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
But you're an animal, baby, it's in your nature
Just let me liberate you
Hey, hey, hey
You don't need no papers
Hey, hey, hey
That man is not your maker

A man tries to domesticate, or restrain, a woman's sexuality but all humans should be able to be sexually liberated. Last line could be seen as pointing and that men don't actually have control over a woman's sexuality.

And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
You're a good girl
Can't let it get past me
You're far from plastic
Talk about getting blasted
I hate these blurred lines
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
But you're a good girl
The way you grab me
Must wanna get nasty
Go ahead, get at me
[Pharrell:] Everybody get up

Our society forces an image of chaste, pure women on us. Women who don't like sex but are still objectified. The speaker here is throwing away the "good girl" paradigm and acknowledging that the woman is a person instead of an object. People like sex and the speaker is making a case that all people want it and this woman shouldn't feel guilty for making advances toward him.

The T.I. part isn't really something I can defend. The point is that we can play the interpretation game all day but that doesn't mean one is definitive or correct. Instead of teaching people to recognize signs or images that lead of sexism or misogyny, they say 'this is bad and we're banning it because it is definitely bad'. That doesn't teach anything. People go right on with what they were doing before or they rebel against it and become even more misogynistic. Personally, I think the song is kind of rapey but just because a song has a bad overtone doesn't mean it can't be repurposed for something else.

Quote by JustRooster
You know that modern american college feminism is getting out of hand when universities are spending time discussing the meanings of tumblrcore songs and how it will affect students and their rape culture.

It's in the UK. Stick to things you know or educate yourself before speaking. The whole premise behind a lot of feminist thought is the dominant culture and how portrayal in it affect the culture as a whole. If a popular Pop song is making rape-related scenarios ok then obviously rape isn't a big deal to that culture.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Nov 14, 2013,
Even if the song was irredeemably misogynistic, it still shouldn't be banned. I think it's ridiculous that people think they have the right to tell others how they can/can't express themselves.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by archangels

Why is anything a word? I like it.

Because rape doesn't come in shades that can be described by varying degrees. Sexual assault is just that. It isn't some vague concept of lyrics you personally interpret to be creepy.

EDIT: The lyrics are clearly provocative because that sells records, but it seems not too far off that they could be interpreted as a man having an affair with a married/notentirelysingle woman. She's going to do what she wants (see the "tried to domesticate you" line). They may even just be bad, but there's no need (especially for institutions that supposedly promote openness and free speech) to ban it.
Last edited by seanlang01 at Nov 14, 2013,
I agree it's a horrible song, but frankly there are many many many far far worse songs out there. I'm people actually took an opportunity to examine what they were listening to for once, but this is far from the worst or more important example out there.
http://polemiqueoccasionelle.wordpress.com/2013/09/19/blurring-the-lines-of-feminism-a-criticism-of-the-criticism-of-blurred-lines/

Should all probably read this. Arguably the response to the song is more counter gender equality (I refuse to use the term feminist where-ever I can help it, especially since this song is not given the "feminism" treatment in relation to rights and equality for women, but in terms of "Feminism" as a form of Misandry) that the song itself is.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Nov 14, 2013,
The song is a bit creepy I suppose, but the stuff bladeslinger and chemical fire have posted actually make a lot of sense.

Don't think it should be banned. Kind of stupid.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
my uni -UEA- wanted to ban it but I wrote an article about how stupid it was in the paper and they made it ok again. It is a terrible idea and i'm outraged that union societies can be so ****ing spineless in regards to feminist societys' stupid ass requests.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by seanlang01
Because rape doesn't come in shades that can be described by varying degrees. Sexual assault is just that. It isn't some vague concept of lyrics you personally interpret to be creepy.

I agree with you on that, but does that mean that I can't make up a word to describe lyrics that sound like something a rapist might say? Or to describe a situation that seems like it could lead to sexual assault?

Quote by seanlang01

EDIT: The lyrics are clearly provocative because that sells records, but it seems not too far off that they could be interpreted as a man having an affair with a married/notentirelysingle woman. She's going to do what she wants (see the "tried to domesticate you" line). They may even just be bad, but there's no need (especially for institutions that supposedly promote openness and free speech) to ban it.

And I'm pretty sure this is the best argument I've read so far against banning it.
Last edited by archangels at Nov 14, 2013,
Page 1 of 3