I’m planning to buy my first tube amp soon and was wondering what risks I would be running by buying used. When it comes to guitars, I love used—I have no problem with cosmetic issues and love the broken-in feel. Is it risky, however, to buy used amps? I found great deals on a Fender Blues Junior NOS and a Vox AC4TV and can get both for under $500 on Craigslist (instead of around $850 new from Guitar Center).

Are there particular things to look for? Obviously I would want to plug in and play some to make sure it sounds right, but should I investigate farther (keeping in mind I know very little about the guts and components of tube amps)?
If you're buying from eBay, you should be fine as long as there are enough pictures to show there are tubes in there. From other sites or in person always try before you buy. Test every feature of the amp, just to make sure there isn't something like a reverb tank that's broken that hasn't altered the price they're selling the amp for.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
If you're patient enough, and your local Craigslist is healthy enough, you could probably get both for <$400. Definitely try before you buy but most of the time it's just normal folks looking for new gear funds/rent/etc on Craigslist. Most people aren't trying to rip anyone off and there are just as many bad deals as there are good.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
PayPal is a good warranty unless you're dealing with serious scammers, but that's not usually the case when it comes to guitar amps :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by lucky1978
If you're patient enough, and your local Craigslist is healthy enough, you could probably get both for <$400. Definitely try before you buy but most of the time it's just normal folks looking for new gear funds/rent/etc on Craigslist. Most people aren't trying to rip anyone off and there are just as many bad deals as there are good.

You really think so? That seems insanely cheap for amps that sell new for $599 and $250. I suppose I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks for the helps everyone!
Go play it for a few mins. Amps are generally built to last and should be good if there is no visible wear and tear.

Change the tubes even if it sounds good. It never hurts. Try to get paperwork if the seller still has it.
Quote by shredderrrrrr
You really think so? That seems insanely cheap for amps that sell new for $599 and $250. I suppose I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks for the helps everyone!

You can also look here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear they have good used prices.

They have the Vox ac4c1 (which is the better model) for $199 I just was looking at them the other day.

Is there anything different with the BJ NOS other than a speaker swap and the tweed? They also have had some QC issues .
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can also look here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear they have good used prices.

They have the Vox ac4c1 (which is the better model) for $199 I just was looking at them the other day.

Is there anything different with the BJ NOS other than a speaker swap and the tweed? They also have had some QC issues .

Yeah, I believe the only differences are the different speaker and the tweed. I'd by lying if I said that the tweed wasn't the main reason why I like the NOS more than the regular BJ. I love that classic tweed look.