I've recently started playing in a band, and so far it's serious, since drummer have some serious connection, and can make a deals for gigs even across border, when we get our songs ready and play together for some time, until we decide we are ready. we play all genres of metal, combining all together what we think will sound good. Now I can play in a death metal band, but I don't even listen to death metal that much. Anyway, considering first band is can be serious, is it a good idea to play in another band too?
Something I've learned after being in several bands over time. They will always talk about their 'connections' and how they 'will go places', but until you actually see some action take it for what it is. It's a lot of talk.

How often do you guys get together? How serious is your current band? If you have a fear of being kicked out of the band you should probably talk it over with your current band mates.
Quote by iduno871
Something I've learned after being in several bands over time. They will always talk about their 'connections' and how they 'will go places', but until you actually see some action take it for what it is. It's a lot of talk.

This.
From all the bands I've been in the only one where members haven't over exaggerated their 'connections' is my current one, where we know that we have 'connections' and we know they are pretty shoddy ones that won't really help much.
Other bands though, eh, if all their 'connections' where as good as they said they where, I would have been in a lot of successful bands, rolling in the cash and hookers at this point.

Anyway, for one thing I would decide on whether or not you want to be in a death metal band. You say you don't really listen to death metal but how do you feel about playing it? Do you enjoy playing it? Is it something you feel you could still be doing 5 years from now?
I don't really listen to classical music, I find it pretty boring and it's just not my thing but I get a real kick outta playing the stuff.

It also depends on what both of your bands play. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say they are both metal bands (I can't see you specifically say what your other band is).
Are they both in their own distinctive genre of metal? I say this because if they're both very similar, you may get into a situation where you write something and you aren't quite sure which band you should use that material with, then you're going to be playing favorites and that's not such a great idea.

I could go on but at the end of the day there is no right answer, it either works for you or it doesn't and you won't really know till you do it. I would just think of the things people say in this thread as 'things you didn't think to ask yourself' and decide your own fate from there.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by link no1
This.

It also depends on what both of your bands play. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say they are both metal bands (I can't see you specifically say what your other band is).
Are they both in their own distinctive genre of metal? I say this because if they're both very similar, you may get into a situation where you write something and you aren't quite sure which band you should use that material with, then you're going to be playing favorites and that's not such a great idea.

I could go on but at the end of the day there is no right answer, it either works for you or it doesn't and you won't really know till you do it. I would just think of the things people say in this thread as 'things you didn't think to ask yourself' and decide your own fate from there.

yeah, my current band, we play metal, but we have a different aproach, where we don't limit to play one style of metal, we play whatever we write, and think it sounds good,be it thrash, progressive, of heavy, we combine things, while this new band is death metal only, and I don't think I'll be using that much evil riffs with my current band. But I think I'll never know, until I try and see how it goes.
As long as you commitments to one band don't affect the other it's fine to be in two bands.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Usually I am one to suggest being in multiple bands, but if your band is serious and you're happy you should definitely stick to just that one.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I think playing in two bands is completly fine and a great idea, unless it compromises one of the bands you're in. Ive always felt that playing with different musicians only makes your playing better. Your learn techniques and skills you would have never though of on your own, and you improve your connection with other musicians which is hard to do jamming with the same people over and over again. I currently play in two bands, guitar in a progressive/instrumental/jazz band called Playing God (playinggodmusic.bandcamp.com) and Drums in a southern hardcore band called The Divine Right Of Kings (thedivinerightofkings.bandcamp.com), but i play different instruments in both and both are completly different genres, so i feel that helps out alot as well becuase I dont mix music ideas and shows/bigger bands that come up in our area we dont need to fight for a spot on the bill between both bands.
The only issue is that you have to know what you're going to do if there's a conflict, and to be fair, members in the band which is your second priority need to know. Even if it's just, "Hey, I'm also in this other band, we're not playing any gigs yet either but there might be conflicts down the road we need to work around."

You can not drop that on your #2 band with no notice.
**** Id say play in 4 bands if you can, 10 even. As many as you can manage.

more bands = more gigs

more gigs = more performing
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Depends on the personality of the band members. I swear in some bands it's like being married and any sign of infidelity sparks dissension and accusations of betrayal!

If they are cool with it definitely gig as much as you can until you feel in your gut that one band is going places, then put your energy into that project to take it to the next lvl.

Rock on,

Dave.
I'm in two bands - a professional cover band, and an original band. Neither are particularly busy, but the cover band is good for some extra cash and professional experience, the other works out my creativity.

If you don't mind the time crunch now and then, being in multiple projects is a good way to get diverse experience. At the very least, jamming around put some contacts on your list, and knowing other musicians can only help your career, should you get that serious with it.
Last edited by cdgraves at Nov 16, 2013,