Okay long story short ive been playing guitar for awhile on and off but id consider myself somewhat of a beginner I can rock most of the Kill Em All Metallica songs and most metal songs with tabs I can understand and play (sloppy but hey)

Recently Ive wanted to play more songs with chords and strumming but I can figure it out for the life of me for example I want to learn Follow Me by uncle kracker I have the intro down perfectly but when it comes to chords and strumming the verse and chorus im lost
Because you haven't practised it. Suck it up and get on with it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Seems to me like you're still in the mindset of metal being the most technical genre and that if you can play metal you can play anything.. Well it's absolutely NOTHING like that. Every style of music has its own difficulties and they're all just as hard as each other and all need significant amounts of practice. Talking subjectively here however, i think that some genre's are more difficult than others, particularly classical music. I would actually say metal is the easiest style of music to play. However that's me being subjective and it may be different for everyone.

TLDR - Playing metal doesn't mean you can play anything. You still suck, so start practicing.
Yup, you can't play these things because you haven't practiced them. So time to get practicing!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Okay, first of all, don't listen to these guys who say you suck or that because you've played exclusively metal that you basically have to go back and relearn to play these kinds of pieces. Telling someone that they suck is basically the least useful piece of advice you can ever give on playing guitar. So here's what you really need to do to in order to progress into doing the kind of music you're wanting to experiment with. First off, you need to find a song that's kind of an intermediate between what you're used to and what you're trying to get into. Since you've mentioned Metallica as a band you like, I'd suggest finding some tabs to Nothing Else Matters. Learning a song like this will help you to develop the techniques you're trying to learn while still providing something close to your own comfort zone so that you can mentally connect what youre learning to what you already know. While you're practicing whatever song you choose, really pay attention to the strummed chords. While learning them, strum them very slowly at first, even if you have to go way slower than you would ever actually use in a song. Eventually, through enough practice, you'll become more comfortable with these types of chords, and progressing to songs made up almost entirely of them will be a much shorter jump than going straight from heavy metal rhythm sections to more mellow strumming patters. Hope this helped you out, and good luck!
Quote by GuitarShedVideo
Okay, first of all, don't listen to these guys who say you suck or that because you've played exclusively metal that you basically have to go back and relearn to play these kinds of pieces. Telling someone that they suck is basically the least useful piece of advice you can ever give on playing guitar.

Yes and no. It's both the best and the worst advice depending on how it's taken. I like when people say I suck because it reminds me that I still have a lot to learn. If you don't think that you suck, you'll never strive to get better.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by GuitarShedVideo
Okay, first of all, don't listen to these guys who say you suck or that because you've played exclusively metal that you basically have to go back and relearn to play these kinds of pieces.

It's funny you should say that since that's actually exactly what you then went on to tell TS to do. Just longer.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Junior#1
Yes and no. It's both the best and the worst advice depending on how it's taken. I like when people say I suck because it reminds me that I still have a lot to learn. If you don't think that you suck, you'll never strive to get better.

You sound like you have self-esteem issues. That being said, Metal is considered one of the hardest genres next to Classical or maybe Jazz. It provides you with plenty of skills and techniques. However learning Jazz (even if you don't care for it) can only help you (makes you better at theory, improvisation, rhythm guitar, arpeggios, ect). Metal is my favorite genre but expanding your scope is a good thing.

Also expert shredders suggest learning Classical (especially Bach) for technique, articulation, theory, and lots more. It's probably the hardest genre out there but once you're good at it, nothing will be too hard (not saying that Metal, Jazz, or Progressive Rock won't be a challenge though).

Just my two cents.
Quote by RonaldPoe
You sound like you have self-esteem issues. That being said, Metal is considered one of the hardest genres next to Classical or maybe Jazz. It provides you with plenty of skills and techniques. However learning Jazz (even if you don't care for it) can only help you (makes you better at theory, improvisation, rhythm guitar, arpeggios, ect). Metal is my favorite genre but expanding your scope is a good thing.

Also expert shredders suggest learning Classical (especially Bach) for technique, articulation, theory, and lots more. It's probably the hardest genre out there but once you're good at it, nothing will be too hard (not saying that Metal, Jazz, or Progressive Rock won't be a challenge though).

Just my two cents.

That statement is just flat out not true. That *insert genre* is hard to play, there are pieces from certain bands within the genre that are hard to play, not the entire genre. You have stuff that are extremely easy to play within most genres, and then things that are extremely difficult to play. I mean in metal you have stuff like Iron Man by Black Sabbath, but then you also have Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater. That being said, ALL genres are "considered" hard to play, cause all genres has those bands/artists that Dream Theater is to metal music. Country can be amazingly difficult. So can funk, blues, gospel, pop, rock, latin, folk etc.

Back to some useful advice though. I agree 100% with Zaphod, Steven and Vayne. You suck at it cause you haven't practiced it, since you have been practicing other stuff. It's like this with everything you practice, if you haven't practiced it then generally you are going to be terrible at it.

I would just suggest listening to the section you are having trouble with, maybe write down exactly the things that make up that section (the strum pattern, chords, chord switch etc) and then practice it ridiculously slow, really paying attention that you are doing it accurately without mistakes and not tensing up. You have to program your brain, and that's the way to do it.

I would like to add though, there is nothing wrong with sucking at certain stuff. In fact i am quite happy when i realize that i suck at a particular thing, cause then i have found the exact thing i have to practice to get better at it. Being bad at stuff shouldn't be a feeling of "Screw this, i'll never be able to get this down", but more a feeling of "Okay, i found a flaw in my playing. Good, now i can work on it and get better!"

My thoughts, hope they were to some use.

Best Regards
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Nov 19, 2013,
You have to make time for chords, OP. Playing tablettures may be fun, but it's not the best thing to do to learn music. You're better off taking time looking at basic chords, like G, A C, etc., and just practice with those; take your time, strum slowing, etc.

An old teacher of mine told me the best way to play chords is through chord tablettures; just find a song that has chords for it here, and make time to learn both the song and the notes.

Edit: I just realized I contradict myself through tablettures. By the first paragraph, I'm just referring to straight-up tablettures that indicate which fret to play through numbers. But I don't think I need to explain that.
Last edited by Lifesign at Nov 19, 2013,
Sickz, you misunderstood the message. I know there are lots of exceptions like Lynard Skynard (their leads are ridiculous because they have two lead guitarists, one rhythm guitarist, and a pianist) Van Halen (Eddie's a beast on guitar), or Robert Johnson (Bluesman from the 1930s who had great technique and is called the Grandfather of Metal). Also Funk is just as bad as Jazz or Metal for the bassist (due to complexity, slapping, and popping among other reasons). Michael Jackson is beyond difficult to sing.

Jazz, Metal, and Classical are the hardest on average but each genre has its champions and thus hard music. If you have a problem in your playing, you have to practice until it's less obvious (no musician can be spectacular at everything). Flaws are what make us human and are necessary for good music. All we can do is practice and improve (once we recognize our flaw).

Anyway I still recommend learning Jazz because it will help you with chords (simple and complex ones), music theory, improvisation, and other important skills. Really learning it will never hurt your playing and it's essential for a musician to broaden their horizons. Just keep practicing and learning new things. Good luck ...
Quote by Junior#1

That's kind of a double-edged sword. As I said always say (or at least, this is how it applies to me; everyone is different and motivated slightly differently), there's a fine line between thinking you suck enough that it motivates you to practise more, and thinking you suck so much that you just quit. Thinking you suck, but seeing measurable improvement when you practise, is probably the thing.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's funny you should say that since that's actually exactly what you then went on to tell TS to do. Just longer.

To be fair, he did couch it in slightly less abrupt, more tactful language. And his point about learning something halfway between his comfort zone and what he wants to learn was very good, I thought- a great idea which still feels like you're playing stuff you're used to and like but which is getting you towards where you want be, too.

I know I personally really hate the phrase "suck it up"- it gets my back up and isn't really helpful, if you ask me. It's sort of passive aggressive and makes the tone of the conversation very confrontational. Of course in my posts I'm always unfailingly polite and never sarcastic at all. Ever.

That being said I agree that all genres are hard to play well, and as sickz said, there are easy and difficult (and everything in between) pieces within most, probably all, genres of music.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 19, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
To be fair, he did couch it in slightly less abrupt, more tactful language. And his point about learning something halfway between his comfort zone and what he wants to learn was very good, I thought- a great idea which still feels like you're playing stuff you're used to and like but which is getting you towards where you want be, too.

I know I personally really hate the phrase "suck it up"- it gets my back up and isn't really helpful, if you ask me. It's sort of passive aggressive and makes the tone of the conversation very confrontational.

See the thing with that is, TS obviously has things he wants to learn already or he wouldn't be asking the question, surely? Suggesting other material is just a totally round-the-houses way of doing it... especially when it's something like strumming the kind of chords that are in the song TS talked about. Given that TS can, apparently, play early Metallica material he should understand that the only way to get better at something is to practice it and make sure he gets it right.

Complaining about it on a forum is either someone searching for an excuse or someone who misguidedly believes that having done thing A they can then do everything 'easier' than it. Neither of which are asking for a soft touch if you ask me.

Then again I don't think I'm exactly known around here for being nice so whatever, I haven't really lost anything by being a jerk

Quote by Dave_Mc
Of course in my posts I'm always unfailingly polite and never sarcastic at all. Ever.

Oh of course

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.

FWIW I think you're usually pretty helpful (even in this thread, I just didn't agree with the way you phrased it )

Maybe you're right in that neither of those things call for a soft touch, but at the same time the best teachers (IMO) work with their pupils' traits/character flaws/whatever you want to call them and have them learning without their really realising it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Maybe you're right in that neither of those things call for a soft touch, but at the same time the best teachers (IMO) work with their pupils' traits/character flaws/whatever you want to call them and have them learning without their really realising it.

Generally I'd agree, but I don't think this kind of environment is personal enough for that; it requires more rapport with someone than most people on here ever achieve

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yeah that's possibly true
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?