Hey all,

Okay.. so i know it's subjective and I'm also aware of the multiple clones of various pedals on the market which is why i've come to you guys.. the experts!

Essentially i'm making a trip over seas next month and have $400 to spend on new pedals. I currently have a DR Z MAZ 38 NR with no effects. (Acoustic guitarist my whole life)

Anyway i'm looking to get as many of the following as possible and the pedals listed after are the ones i'm looking at:

Overdrive: Ibanez TS9 or Fulltone Fulldrive FD2
Compressor - MXR Custom Comp or Wampler Ego Comp
Delay - TC Electronic Flashback Delay
Reverb - TC Electronic Hall of Fame
Noise Gate - ISP Decimator
Stage Tuner - Boss TU3

Now i'm aware I likely won't get all of these for my budget unless i'm lucky with Ebay which i'd generally rather buy new for the guarantee and warranty anyway. They're all important effects for the sound i'm looking to achieve and i'd rather not get a multi effects pedal. As a reference for sound think Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and John Mayer.

Could anybody recommend equivalent pedals that i should look into that would be cheaper but just as good and reliable as those listed above? I'm also looking for true bypass signal pedals with atleast one of them having a built in buffer but if thats to much to ask, an alternative would be great.

Thanks so much all!!
Last edited by Tim_Miles at Nov 14, 2013,
Hardwire CM-2 for the drive. Excellent value. Better than the TS9 easy IMO. The Fulldrive is a different beast. It's more flexible and versatile. Worth looking at for sure.

The Custom Comp is a great comp for the price. I'm assuming you're looking for something more subtle, I'd recommend it for that.

I'm a big fan of the Boss DD-7 for digital delay. Also check out the Hardwire DL-8 if you see one. Do you want tap tempo? For what you're playing, I might instead go for something analog. For off the shelf stuff in that price range, can't really beat an MXR Carbon Copy.

I think the Hall of Fame is the best 'verb out there in that price bracket as far as off the shelf pedals go. But the Hardwire RV-7 is very very close. Give it a try. I preferred the Hardwire just a few days ago, now I prefer the TC. Very very close.

I am not an ISP fan. I don't care much for any FX that don't give you any control over paramters. I've owned multiple Boss NS-2s. They are workhorses and I love them. I would stay away from MXR. Just my experience so far. Look for the Pigtronix Gatekeeper and try it out. I haven't seen one to try yet. Looks interesting.

I love my TU-3. Give the Polytune 2 a look if you're into that sort of thing. I like the TU-3 because since true bypass is the current hype fad, it's important to get a good buffer in your chain somewhere. The Polytune is TB too, so watch out for that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm not sure you'll need a decimator. Is noise really a problem?
They are mainly used by those who use a lot of overdrive. Most people who play predominately clean/light od stuff (which I'm assuming you do based on amp) don't use noise gates.

Going against offworld, I actually prefer the mxr noise gates to the boss ones

But if you do need one, than the decimator is a good choice

For delay, I'd look at perhaps the malekko ekko, or the flashback.
Mallekko is an analog delay - doesn't have tap tempo, isn't as versatile, and isn't as pristine as the flashback. But god damn it's nice.

As for compressor, I really like mxr's comps. The only way I'd upgrade over them is if I was going for a diamond or empress or something. I don't know much about the wampler - but they are generally a good company.

There are a bunch of TS style overdrives, so if you end up going for tubescreamer you can probably save a few bucks by going for something like a joyo/biyang/digitech clone. Even the ibanez TS7 is extremely close to the TS9.

Tubescreamer is probably something I'd buy used - there is a pretty big market of those style pedals and it's a good opportunity to save your dollars for other pedals imo.

As for tuner. The boss, korg pitch-black, and tc poly tune are the ones I'd look at.

I have no experience with reverb pedals so can't help there.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Nov 14, 2013,
Overdrive wise... most of them do the same the Boss SD-1 seems to be a cheap favorite one, the bad monkey from digitech is not a bad option either.

The MXR compressor is probably the best choice (except for carl martin's but that expensive).

The delay is probably one of those pedals that is better to get a GOOD one and be done with it... go for the TC one, but if you want a cheaper one that is still good go for the Maxon delay.

Reverb is a very personal thing, I am planing to get the new small rev pedal from TC my self... I would suggest that you buy one you try yourself and not be pulled from reviews.

If this are your pedals, I don't think you will need a noise gate, but I have used the Noise Clamp from MXR and it works.

Finally the tuner is another pedal that is better to get a good one and that's it... go for the TC Polytune tune mini
I think the Boss overdrive is pretty amazing for the price. Don't think it's not high quality, though. Plenty of professional musicians use it (one off the top of my head, I know Claudio from Coheed and Cambria at least used to have it in his rig).

The ISP noisegate is really good. I've only used the Decimator, but the G-string one is supposed to be even better but it'll run you another $100.

I use a Boss tuner. Works great. I think pretty much any tuner in a stompbox will work, though. I kind of got hooked on Boss for a while though so that's really the only justification I can give you to say "get that one."

I've only used a Digitech Digital Delay, and I wasn't blown away by that. It was decent, but Digitech doesn't include a power source, and a digital pedal eats batteries pretty fast. For a pedal that's $100+ I didn't want to spend extra money to not use batteries so I never bought it. Can't compare it to any other delay pedals though.
As far as overdrives go, I would just try to find a used ts-9. If you look enough, you should be able to find one for about $70. It's not worth buying these new in my opinion.

For the compressor, I don't have much experience with cheaper compressors, so I can't give you any advice there.

For delays, it depends on if you want to go analog or digital. If you want analog and are thinking the carbon copy, go with the Joyo analog delay instead. It's a cheap Chinese company, and they're not perfect, but for $40, they are incredible. It's not my main delay, but I use it as a secondary one and it's beautiful. And since you're on a budget, it's the way to go. If you want digital, I'd recommend a boss dd-7 at $150. You've got a wide variety of sounds with it, plus you can add an external tap tempo.

For reverb, stick with the TC Electronic HoF. The other guitarist in my band just bought one last week from a guitar center, and they price matched a new one off of Amazon, so he got it for $120. You're not going to beat that as far as reverbs go.

Frankly, I'm against spending the money on a noisegate. When your budget is limited, it's not worth spending the money on something so subtle that may not even make a difference depending on your playing style.

I understand that a lot of people want a pedal for tuning, but I recommend a clip-on tuner for the headstock, especially in your situation. If you go searching online, you can find Snark brand ones (which I love) for $8. Since you'd be spending about ten times that on a pedal, I don't think a pedal is worth it.

If you go with the Joyo, that only totals up to $238. $348 with the boss delay. The Joyo leaves plenty of room to buy the MXR custom comp. At least, that's the route I'd go.
Make sure you try out the ISP Decimator and G String variant in the store before you buy. I prefer the G String but consensus is divided on that. Try them for yourself.
If your coming to the USA look here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear you can get the pedals your looking at for really cheap here.

I bought an MXR smart Gate (excellent gate) for $50 and a Morley Bad Horsie 2 for $65, and both were in like new condition.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks so much all for your replies! this has helped me massively! also the link to Guitar Centre enabled me to find used versions of all of my original pedals for just over $450. now i'm going to keep looking to make more savings but this is awesome!

Does anyone know if i can order from the used section on guitar centre? Or do you need to visit stores to buy these pedals? as they're scattered all over the US and i'll be in Georgia on my visit over christmas, i'm just looking to see if you can order them over the phone and be shipped? i assume they also check the pedals to make sure they're fully functional aswell right?

thanks so much again all!
Quote by Tim_Miles
Thanks so much all for your replies! this has helped me massively! also the link to Guitar Centre enabled me to find used versions of all of my original pedals for just over $450. now i'm going to keep looking to make more savings but this is awesome!

Does anyone know if i can order from the used section on guitar centre? Or do you need to visit stores to buy these pedals? as they're scattered all over the US and i'll be in Georgia on my visit over christmas, i'm just looking to see if you can order them over the phone and be shipped? i assume they also check the pedals to make sure they're fully functional aswell right?

thanks so much again all!

You can order online or over the phone. The actual store address and phone # is listed with each item on that site. I call and order direct from the store. They also give you 30 days to return the items for a full refund.

Do take in to consideration that you will probably have to pay state taxes and shipping costs. These are usually pretty inexpensive, but worth noting. The only way you do not pay taxes when ordering from GC used gear is if there are no retail stores in the State you are in, and I don't know of any states that do not have a GC

You can order online by typing the item # (the number under the used picture) on the regular Guitar Center site search bar. I prefer to call the actual store, then you can ask questions about condition or anything else you think of
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 15, 2013,
Brilliant, thats great. Thank you. I will absolutely be doing that. thats a big help!
Gear:

- Martin 00-18V
- Fender Tele (Sunburst)
- Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red)
- Goldtone CC Banjitar
- Appalachian Strings 'The Woodrow' Dulcimer
- DR Z MAZ 38 Senior NR Head
- DR Z 1x12 Cab x 2
Last edited by Tim_Miles at Nov 15, 2013,