Do you think in your opinion that drugs help you create music ?

My answer is yes since I've tried dope and seen what it does to my imagination.
Absolutely just listen to Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Jefferson Airplanes, Zappa....The list is endless, I think its probably as popular as its ever been considering now you have more then just rock and roll guys doing it. Im not saying just because you do it it will make you successful, but it can really make you think in different ways that maybe people would not conventionally think of. As Bill Hicks said. "See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don’t believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor; go home tonight, take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CD’s and burn em’. 'Cause you know the musicians who’ve made all that great music that’s enhanced your lives throughout the years?..
Real ****in' high on drugs."
Its time for tea.
Quote by slaytanic666
Absolutely just listen to Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Jefferson Airplanes, Zappa....The list is endless, I think its probably as popular as its ever been considering now you have more then just rock and roll guys doing it. Im not saying just because you do it it will make you successful, but it can really make you think in different ways that maybe people would not conventionally think of. As Bill Hicks said. "See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don’t believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor; go home tonight, take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CD’s and burn em’. 'Cause you know the musicians who’ve made all that great music that’s enhanced your lives throughout the years?..

Zappa wasn't into drugs
Quote by slaytanic666
'Cause you know the musicians who’ve made all that great music that’s enhanced your lives throughout the years?..

Church music? I don't think so.

Proof you don't need drugs to make great music. Stickin' with a sober mind here, friend.
Absolutely, but you will find sometimes while rolling that your mind draws a blank, at least I do. Make sure you write down or record what you play so if you do write something good you won't forget it by the next morning.
Drugs can definitely open up new creative avenues, but always make sure to write down/record the stuff you come up with so that you can remember.

Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can't be creative without them. Moderation is your friend.
Something I though of earlier so I thought I'd make a contribution.

Think of a vocal melody or chorus idea. Then base the verse/and or bridges on that. Some of my strongest ideas come from focusing on the chorus first which is really the theme of the song.
Yes, I do believe that they can help with your creativity. But I don't think that they're the "end-all" of it. Basically it's there already or it isn't...the drugs are merely a catalyst.
It's not so much about drugs as it is about getting in another state of mind, one in which you think in a different way and see the world in a different way...
Technically, though, you could research this scientifically:
- Situation A: Write a song while on drugs
- Situation B: Write a song while sober
Check with yourself and with people who you're (pretty) sure will give an honest answer.
The figures won't lie
Also, when you say you've "tried dope," what exactly do you mean? According to Wikipedia, dope is "A term for drugs, commonly heroin, however, it may refer to cannabis, cocaine, opium, methamphetamine or other drugs with a primary or a main effect to change thinking."
Call me Kerouac
Its a double edged sword. In my experience I definitley feel like my mind is opened and my imagination feels unfettered and I can churn out stuff I like. On the other hand Ive written high and thought it was so good then looked at it again later on sober and thought: what the hell is this blathering garbage?
For me its been hit and miss, so I learned that whilewins sometimes it can help but its not to be relied upon. Im strictly speaking of gannja BTW. I really dont believe it really enhances anything about you that cant be achieved in other ways.
Lastly addictive drugs are a whole 'nother story. Many addicts have made great music but theres really no way to tell if they wouldnt have otherwise. What we know for sure is once you become addicted, the drug is the center of your life, everything else, including your craft become marginalized.
Quote by jcscullery

Also, when you say you've "tried dope," what exactly do you mean? According to Wikipedia, dope is "A term for drugs, commonly heroin, however, it may refer to cannabis, cocaine, opium, methamphetamine or other drugs with a primary or a main effect to change thinking."

Sour Diesel (cannabis)
Afghan Hash

Those are the things that I tried for two weeks.