View poll results: what say you?
It's cool
3 4%
That's not cool
64 81%
ketchup
12 15%
Voters: 79.
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/111113-music-industry-seeks-a-refrain-275835.html

The National Music Publishers Association wants lyric sites to pay royalties and stuff like that or else they'll take them down. There are loooots of lyric sites out there that publish lyrics all willy nilly.

Thoughts? Is it a not-so-cool-or-smart thing to do?
I don't really care, I mainly listen to death/black metal where the lyrics are unintelligible. If it ain't screaming it isn't music.
The National Music Publishers Association? Really?

^ well that's even more stupid
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Do they not realise that only 1 in a thousand songs have lyrics that have any value?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Not fussed either way, I haven't looked one up in years and a lot of them are wrong anyway.
I don't even think that publishing an artist's lyrics is that big of a problem. Are they really losing that much revenue from it?
Quote by Genrecore
I don't really care, I mainly listen to death/black metal where the lyrics are unintelligible. If it ain't screaming it isn't music.

you must be so hXc
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Last edited by Strato-Massacre at Nov 14, 2013,
Has anyone ever heard of actually listening to song lyrics in the song itself?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I get all my lyrics from youtube descriptions and facebook. Lets see them try and take down those.
So this is what Amy is doing post-evanescence

Real talk this is the same whack a mole shit it's a pity they are wasting their time with it
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Nov 14, 2013,
Once again the music industry fails to provide what people want and blames someone else. They could start their own lyric sites with accurate lyrics and with less obnoxious ads.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

If the language on the song it's not your native language sometimes can be tricky to understand it fully without having the lyrics.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

That doesn't work with Pearl Jam
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Mr E Meat

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
lol
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Burgery

****ing burgery
If lyric sites spelled their lyrics wrong, would they still have to pay royalties?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I use to be semi-against piracy until I found out how ****ing horrible the music industry is, and how they do shit like this.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

On a say duh
onna porchsaaaa betta sae
anya said I wanna leed it ugain
wassisaheah on a peaseuuuuuuwedder shed
Quote by Rossenrot
On a say duh

How did you figure THAT much of the song out?
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
it's like I make threads knowing they're gonna be shit but I make them anyway

Quote by kertets
Wire his sack to the electrical socket the next time, little fucker will be shootin lightening bolts all over the house.
Quote by NarwhalG2G
How did you figure THAT much of the song out?

owna said I wanna leed it ugain
owna weedaeh onna wasitona wayeeah
andi callwoni saydannawoahnonnasay danni cowlow a'heah

I'll be uploading the full transcript onto ultimate-lyrics.com
They're just jelly because those sites are earning free money from their lyrics.
Same thing goes of tabs sites like UG.
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

Last edited by rolandroi at Nov 15, 2013,
Quote by Rossenrot
On a say duh

aheeyeyyeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy canuseedayyyyyy
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

The first time I heard Even Flow I thought he had mastered yawning and talking at the same time
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Since you don't have to pay for lyrics as it is (buying an album doesn't count since you get it for the music), then this is kind of ******ed

But then the music industry is ******ed so, whatever.
I have nothing important to say
Typical of you dorks to jump the gun and blame "the music industry" without actually understanding what's happening.

At a press event today the National Music Publishers’ Association announced that it has sent takedown notices to the top 50 unlicensed lyric sites in an unprecedented anti-piracy effort. NMPA is working with songwriter and University of Georgia researcher David Lowery who published an academic study listing top unlicensed lyric websites. These lyric sites profit from advertisement-generated revenue, yet songwriters whose lyrics are available on these unlicensed sites receive no compensation.

“These lyric sites have ignored the law and profited off the songwriters’ creative works, and NMPA will not allow this to continue,” said NMPA president and CEO David Israelite. “This is not a campaign against personal blogs, fan sites, or the many websites that provide lyrics legally. NMPA is targeting fifty sites that engage in blatant illegal behavior, which significantly impacts songwriters’ ability to make a living.”
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
this seems really similar to that other time something like this happened and everyone got very upset until zappp was all like 'nope'

I give zero shits. I dont think any music I listen to even has lyrics lol. I think I still dig btbam if that counts, and I think les claypool sings in bucket of bernie brains.

What I am pissed off about is Jimi Hendrix tabs being taken off the internet. Who is in charge of that? Hendrix wouldnt give any shits if anyone learned his music. He would be pleased. Its one thing for douchebag steve vai to take his tabs off the internet cuz hes scared someone might play for the love of god better than he, but shit. its ****ing jimi hendrix!
Quote by StewieSwan
Typical of you dorks to jump the gun and blame "the music industry" without actually understanding what's happening.

So do you think that all the tabs on this site should be taken down if UG doesn't pay royalties? Or should it only be okay if UG makes no profit?
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
Quote by RealUnrealRob
So do you think that all the tabs on this site should be taken down if UG doesn't pay royalties? Or should it only be okay if UG makes no profit?

How about you don't strawman me with that "so you think" crap. I haven't expressed my opinion one way or the other. I just felt like pointing out that it wasn't as simple as people were assuming. They're only going after unlicensed sites.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by StewieSwan
How about you don't strawman me with that "so you think" crap. I haven't expressed my opinion one way or the other. I just felt like pointing out that it wasn't as simple as people were assuming. They're only going after unlicensed sites.

The way you worded your comment implied (to me at least) that you were in support of what they were doing. Which would then make my question to you valid as stated.

I wasn't going to get mad at if you if you said yes, I was just seeing if you were going to be consistent.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
Quote by RealUnrealRob
The way you worded your comment implied (to me at least) that you were in support of what they were doing. Which would then make my question to you valid as stated.

I wasn't going to get mad at if you if you said yes, I was just seeing if you were going to be consistent.

I think they have a fair argument, though I ultimately disagree with it. While I think intellectual property rights can be applied to music files, I don't believe that lyrics should. It's pretty shady that these sites are making money off of the artists' works, but the artists wouldn't be making that money anyway since nobody is going to pay them for the lyrics.
Quote by EndTheRapture51