Sup.
I recently saw the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, great movie, AMAZING soundtrack.
I especially love the bass in the songs. For instance, the song "Garbage Truck".

I own a Boss Distortion pedal and I used that to try to get the distorted bass that's featured in the song. I like having the ability to hear what the bass sounds like with the effect on, but all it is is sound. The low frequencies of the bass go away.

PRETTY MUCH, I want distorted bass... But I also want to shake the entire house.
With the distortion, I can't do that.
Any tips on how I can balance out the distortion, but still have the low bass frequencies?
Thanks.
Last edited by ExtraIntestinal at Nov 14, 2013,
Well; what you seek to do is pretty easy to accomplish. You need a powerful bass amplifier with efficient speakers, and then you need to crank it to (possibly) illegal levels. You'll shake the masonry right off of the walls, and the sheer volume should give you the distorted sound. If you want more distortion but at the same time you want the low end register, then try a Tech 21 Bass D.I. or its rackmount brothers, the RPB or the RPM. I did not see this film, so I cannot speak to the sound he was getting (though I suspect it was created in a studio with a real bass player, and not an actor). The problem is, you cannot accomplish what you are describing at bedroom levels. You are going to have to cut loose with a serious rig.

Have fun!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Having a distortion pedal with a blend knob to add in the original dry signal in addition to the distorted signal is what is needed. As that recording was probably double tracked to add that bottom end.

The duluex big muff bass distortion and the sansamp bddi as mentioned previously as two that come to mind.

Fun fact the venue they play in NYC, Arlenes Grocery. I've played that venue
Everybody makes a big muff about a certain pedal Burton and Lemmy used, but I can't really remember it's name....

Go with the Ibanez Auto Wah. You can make an epic distorted sound with it, make a Korn style sound and you'll have an auto wah pedal if you need it.
Multiwave bass distortion by Source audio. It's the best distortion I've ever used and you can get a HUGE variety of bass distortions all in one pedal. There's even another pedal that source audio makes for bass that's a little more dialed in. In any event, what's cool about source audio pedals is that they come with a seven band EQ that you can use ON THE PEDAL! I'd say it's worth looking into, because when I was looking into distortions, keeping the low end was a big deal for me as well. Hope this helps!
Quote by AndreLyles
In any event, what's cool about source audio pedals is that they come with a seven band EQ that you can use ON THE PEDAL!

Could you please explain what this is?
The pro version of the SA multiwave bass distortion has a 7 band EQ that you can set up and save with your presets. I have the soundblox 2 version and it has EQing for bass, mids and treble. Source audio makes incredible pedals with a lot to offer.
People who buy Boss pedals fall into the trap of "This is one of the more expensive things in the glass box here, so they must be pretty good."
When the reality is, though they're sturdy and good for traveling, their actual sound and range of effect are quite poor. I've owned close to 20 Boss pedals and found numerous better alternatives for around the same price in all accounts.

The point is, get rid of the Boss pedal. Find a distortion pedal either made for bass or has a blend knob.
Ones made for bass are made to register the low frequencies and apply the distortion to those, instead of the higher over-tones with would be present clearer in guitars.
A blend knob is something that takes 2 signals: The clean input of your bass & The distorted signal after the effect has been applied. The knob allows you (essentially) to set it at 12 o'clock which puts a 50/50 mix between clean/distorted signal. The further you go to the right is less bass, more fuzz. The further your go to the left is more bass, less fuzz.
Pedals with this allow you to set the tone of the distortion and then decide exactly how much you want in your signal rather than just a flat "effect level" knob which most Boss pedal feature.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
I love the EHX bass big muff as a practical distortion because of the dry mix feature. I can only get the Boss distortion to work on recordings, when I play live it eats my volume no matter how I try to work around it.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Another vote for the Source Audio Distortion multiwave. Versatile options that make getting that exact distortion quality you want.
I keep hearing bass references to "Scott Pilgrim." Is this someone we are going to have to kill? He seems to have harmed our prestige in the music world. We have enough trouble with looney lead singers and glory hound guitarists as it is.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley