I have a 07 Gibson studio with
the Duncan black winter set installed
skb case etc. Some one has offered
me a Ken Lawrence explorer build by
Warmoth emg Het set coffin case etc
is this a exceptable trade?
It "MIGHT" be, Warmoth makes great necks and bodies from good woods. Beyond that, the rest of the guitar's quality depends on the specifications the customer asked from Warmoth and how he/she put the guitar together. So be careful and have someone( i.e. a tech) inspect the guitar for you. Also if you don't want your gibson anymore, remember that a gibson guitar will be always easier to sell and retain their value more than almost any other brand (except for Fender, the own the market), so if you want another guitar you might take a look to how much can you sell it for and then buy something else you like.
The build is maple neck I think mahogany body flamed maple
cap grover tuners was put together by Fred Kawalo guitar tech
for Black Label Society as well as Megadeth and many others. I've played the guitar very nice but with Warmoth not doing explorer builds anymore info is tough. It can be seen on Toledo Ohio's Craigslist in musical instruments. The guitar seems to be legit anyone else know more?
Last edited by RJH11 at Nov 15, 2013,
Warmoth makes quality parts and if you're sure a guitar tech put it together it's probably a great guitar. The only worry is re-sell value. Even if the parts are higher quality than Gibson or Fender it's still a 'partscaster' or in your case 'partsplorer' and will be tough to sell. If you ever had to sell it you'd be better off taking it apart and selling piece by piece.
As much as I love Warmoth, a guitar built of Warmoth parts will often have far less resale value than you'd expect compared to the cost of its build and the cost of the parts.

Part of the reason for that is that you never know what you're going to get if you're the buyer. That's true even if the guy who bolted it together originally has a decent reputation. I've had a guitar built from Warmoth parts by a guy who does custom Ibanez guitars for artists. He build it during his "breaking up with the love of his life girlfriend" period, and by the time I pried it away from him, it was a mess, and took a $300 trip to a good tech to make it right.

When I hear "Warmoth parts build," I immediately start at 50% of the parts cost, subtract $200 for a trip to the tech including a PLEK job and work my way down from there to arrive at a price.
Quality-wise, it should be quite good if everything that's been said about it is true. Value-wise, there's a large discrepancy. Even a Warmoth parts guitar put together by a good luthier is going to have very, very low resale compared to the cost of the original parts.

So the good thing is that it's probably a good guitar, and you should be able to negotiate a more advantageous trade. The bad news is that if you ever try to sell it you're probably going to have a very hard time moving it, and you won't get nearly as much as it would be worth if it were a manufactured product.

Personally I would not make that trade. If you want the guitar, negotiate for cash. Your Gibson is worth a lot more in monetary terms.
Quote by Roc8995
Quality-wise, it should be quite good if everything that's been said about it is true. Value-wise, there's a large discrepancy. Even a Warmoth parts guitar put together by a good luthier is going to have very, very low resale compared to the cost of the original parts.

So the good thing is that it's probably a good guitar, and you should be able to negotiate a more advantageous trade. The bad news is that if you ever try to sell it you're probably going to have a very hard time moving it, and you won't get nearly as much as it would be worth if it were a manufactured product.

Personally I would not make that trade. If you want the guitar, negotiate for cash. Your Gibson is worth a lot more in monetary terms.

Roc speaks the truth. market value are not even close, you can't give away a warmoth strat no matter how well it is put together (this is obviously an exaggeration for comic effect) but the resale of any partscaster/build style guitar is really low.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Well guys got to play the Warmoth and have
to say it walks all over my studio best guitar
I've played in a long time. So I took it some
cash and 3 mxr pedals and am very pleased
plays fantastic cosmetically perfect will do
a new guitar day after the honey moon is over
Might have lost in the resale but this is a keeper.
I'll do full review soon.