Sup UG.
I bought an ibanez rg370dxz and a peavey vypyr 15 yesterday.
I just want to know how to get a good old school death metal sound (you know like Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary) out of the amp. Anyone has any idea?

Also I would like to know about what string brand and gauge I should get. I think I'll be tuning my axe to drop c.
Thats all. Any kind of help would be appreciated.
I'd try bass ~12:00, Mids ~3:00, Treble ~1:00. My amps a bit lacking in mids so you may want to tame those a bit, don't scoop them too heavily though, you won't cut through in a mix then. Crank up the gain for that nasty fizzy early death metal tone. I'm not a fan of that so I'd tone down the gain a bit for a sharper more percussive attack, you don't need nearly as much gain as you'd think. XXX, JSX, or 6505 should work equally well, maybe the recto.

I like 11s for E-C, been using 12s recently for B standard. I like D'Addarios, they have a bit more tension then comparable Ernie Ball Slinky's, totally up to you though.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
I have a similar set up to you.

Ibanez ART-300, Peavey Vypyr 15, D'Addario 10's,

I don't play in Drop C but robertito's settings might be good to try. 10's might be OK, but you're probably better with 11's or 12's if you're gonna be playing lower tunings mostly.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by robertito696
I'd try bass ~12:00, Mids ~3:00, Treble ~1:00. My amps a bit lacking in mids so you may want to tame those a bit, don't scoop them too heavily though, you won't cut through in a mix then. Crank up the gain for that nasty fizzy early death metal tone. I'm not a fan of that so I'd tone down the gain a bit for a sharper more percussive attack, you don't need nearly as much gain as you'd think. XXX, JSX, or 6505 should work equally well, maybe the recto.

But thats kinda the thing. A lot of oldschool death metal IS scooped. Its part of the charm: a messy high gain wall of sound. Death, Obituary, Suffocation, all scooped to some extent. Not necessarily on zero mind you but midrange is trailing behind.

Yes it sounds like shit on live and in a band situation but in bedroom it doesnt matter. Morbid Angel may be the only exception in the TS's list. My ears say it has a lot of lows and low midrange but not a lot of upper mids and treble. Heavy, fat and warm instead of brittle belt grinding that is typical for this music.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by darkestblack

Also I would like to know about what string brand and gauge I should get. I think I'll be tuning my axe to drop c.
Thats all. Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Try a set with .010 for the high E and a .052 for the low E. This will give you some heavy low strings with better tension while tuned down, but will also keep your high strings relatively light and easy to play/bend.

I've been playing GHS Boomers TNT ( .010 .013 .017 .030 .044 .052) for about 6 years and I love them. Play them in D-standard, C-standard, Drop-C.

http://www.ghsstrings.com/strings/electric/boomers-2