Poll: how would you feel about a one way mission to Mars?
Poll Options
View poll results: how would you feel about a one way mission to Mars?
Cool, do it
53 71%
Nope, don't do it
22 29%
Voters: 75.
Page 1 of 2
would you get behind a one way mission to Mars? I'm sure there would be no shortage of astronauts willing to die to go down in history as the first homo sapien to walk on another planet, but would you be able to support it like people in the 60s supported the moon mission?

also, assume that the people on the mission are young, we ain't sending no old people that'll die anyway.
Last edited by genghisgandhi at Nov 15, 2013,
Well if they have no problem with the staying there until death part I don't see why the fudge not. The hell am I gonna do, forbid them from ending their own life? What kind of backwards society does that?

Oh wait.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Nov 15, 2013,
like i've always said, sure whatever
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I don't see why walking on mars would be so exciting many young astronauts would consider dying for it.
Quote by The_Casinator
I don't see why walking on mars would be so exciting many young astronauts would consider dying for it.

Well obviously we'd tell them there are bottomless beer pits up there.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Manned space missions are just an inordinate waste of money at the moment, so I wouldn't really be behind it, no.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I don't see the point really. It wouldn't really be any kind of accomplishment to send someone to Mars with no hope of survival or return to Earth, all that would prove is that we suck and can't complete a manned mission to Mars.

Considering how advanced the sattelites and automated rovers are already, manned space flights are becoming increasingly unnecessary in order to explore other planets. The only purpose of a manned flight would be to ascertain Mars' feasibility as a colony, which could be centuries down the line. That said, the technology to reach Mars in anything less than 3 years (neadless to say, 6 year all-round trip) is still quite a long way down the line. We might be able to cut down the journey to about a few months by the end of the century however, so there is hope on that front.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by genghisgandhi
why are they a waste of money now but not other times?

Well they've always been a waste of money, but it's possible that in the future we'll work out ways to make it much cheaper., and that the economy will be more accepting of grand expense.

Quote by genghisgandhi
how?

Development of more efficient or more powerful engines/propulsion methods?
Quote by Todd Hart
Well they've always been a waste of money, but it's possible that in the future we'll work out ways to make it much cheaper., and that the economy will be more accepting of grand expense.

Or you know, the world will go to shit again like it always does and we'll have Cold War™ v2.0: The Happening. Someone is bound to try and one-up someone else by sending a man to Mars.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Nov 15, 2013,
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
We might be able to cut down the journey to about a few months by the end of the century however, so there is hope on that front.

fuk u talkin bout
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by genghisgandhi
how?

There's an ultra-efficient engine being developed by this South American engineer I remember hearing about. It essentially worked by burning the fuel at a much higher temperature using plasma or some such, essentially getting much more force for much less fuel. There's also solar sails, which are coming along well and look to be the future of space travel at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

Edit: Another link to the plasma engine thing I was talking about, the 'Potential Future Applications' section is interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Specific_Impulse_Magnetoplasma_Rocket
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Last edited by EqualOfHeaven at Nov 15, 2013,
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
There's an ultra-efficient engine being developed by this South American engineer I remember hearing about. It essentially worked by burning the fuel at a much higher temperature using plasma or some such, essentially getting much more force for much less fuel. There's also solar sails, which are coming along well and look to be the future of space travel at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

Edit: Another link to the plasma engine thing I was talking about, the 'Potential Future Applications' section is interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Specific_Impulse_Magnetoplasma_Rocket

Solar sails aren't very likely to make 'short' range journeys faster, as the idea if that they build speed, which takes time given the very small size of the push given by solar wing. On a trip to Mars you'd only be able to build so much speed up before you have to turn the ship around and start a retrograde burn to slow yourself down to capture velocity.
New propulsion systems are constantly being worked on.
It might even be possible by the middle of this century for all we know.
Technology advances at a faster rate than most people realize.

When railroads were first being developed, it was thought that the human body would be unable to withstand the speeds that railroad cars were capable of traveling :
http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h67.html

So far more is possible than most people realize.

Edit:
Hell, give me one year of a totally blissful life beforehand, and I would go.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 15, 2013,
Quote by sam b
Only if I could take another person (of my choice) with me >.>

Are you planning 'Rape on Mars?'
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by simoncheesecake
Wouldn't this be a form of legal euthanasia though? Not here for that.

In the same way 'moving to Delaware' would be. It's living your life in a different location. A desolate and lonely one at that, but some may find beauty in that. I'd be up for it, actually. (not sure about the effects of space on your body, your lifespan may be a little shorter for all I know... But euthanasia, nah)
Tell me who's that writin'...
I'd definitely support it, because science.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by genghisgandhi
why are they a waste of money now but not other times?

Other times we have the money to spend on it
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
It's hardly a 'suicide mission'
they're not gonna fly the spacecraft full speed into a martian mountain
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
It's a waste of time and money. Stop spending time and money on extracurricular BS that is basically meaningless when there is literally everything else that requires more time and money.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Hey, if we're fucked fucked, but we could have it noted on our obituary as a society/species that we put one of our own on a different planet.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Whats the point if its a suicide mission. Hydroponic gardens, maaaatttttiiinnnggg, starting new generations of families on a Mars colony. LIFE.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Whats the point if its a suicide mission. Hydroponic gardens, maaaatttttiiinnnggg, starting new generations of families on a Mars colony. LIFE.

It's not very likely that a child would develop correctly in the low gravity of Mars.
Quote by Hydra150
It's hardly a 'suicide mission'
they're not gonna fly the spacecraft full speed into a martian mountain

Yeah, I wouldn't consider it a suicide mission if it was my job to establish a permanent base on Mars and live there for the rest of my life.

And hell yes I would do it. I would hope that they wouldn't actually leave me there until death because at some point I'll become completely useless due to old age and would be more of a hassle than an asset, but living on Mars until retirement? Sign me up.

Quote by bradulator
It's a waste of time and money. Stop spending time and money on extracurricular BS that is basically meaningless when there is literally everything else that requires more time and money.

There is literally nothing more important to the future of humankind than getting off our planet. Name one thing that deserves more time and money than preserving the future of our entire species from a cataclysmic event.
that sounds awesome lets do it but skip the mars part
sounds like a waste of money, but then again, the US loves to throw away money, so whatever

then again, scientific advancement is important but i don't know, whatever man
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Nov 15, 2013,
Quote by Todd Hart

Development of more efficient or more powerful engines/propulsion methods?

How about the discovery of some fantastic new ore/mineral on another planet that helps our economy and aids in the development of more efficient or more powerful engines/propulsion methods?
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
With how advanced 3D printers and everything else are getting, we'll probably be going on non-suicidal missions to mars soon. Hell, we'll probably have a Mars colony by the end of this century.
¯\_()_/¯
There is some sort of principle for what I'm about to describe, but I don't know what it is, so I'll just describe it and hope you understand.

If we were to go to Mars, we'd need to find the right balance of time to do it. And what I mean by that is this: Obviously right now it'll take much longer, be more expensive, more dangerous, etc than it would in a hundred years. But, if we were to go there in maybe twenty or thirty years, that journey would prompt for technological advancements from both governmental and private organisations. That being the case, our technology and ability to travel to Mars would increase much more than the rate now, so the cost and time of the journey in a century would be much lower than it would be if we never went there in the first place.

Hopefully that made sense.

tl;dr, competition encourages increased rates of technological improvements. I would support such a journey.
What we need is to wait until slipspace technology is perfected, so we can bypass planets and explore Forerunner constructs in order to reclaim the mantle.
Quote by CaptainCanti
With how advanced 3D printers and everything else are getting, we'll probably be going on non-suicidal missions to mars soon. Hell, we'll probably have a Mars colony by the end of this century.

So we print off our own mars, jump on it, and then kick it off into space?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
We need chainswords and power armor first.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2