Page 1 of 5
I'm not asking for personal advice here, because I don't have a wife or kids or anything.

But my brother informed me recently that his 14 year old son had "come out of the closet" to him and his mother.

He said that it was a shock at first, but that him and his wife have been really supportive and encouraging so far.

I didn't really have anything to say to him. He seemed like he was still vulnerable from the shock of finding out, so I didn't want to jump the gun and suggest camps or anything.

This whole experience has really just changed my perspective on things. Never once has our family had a gay in it.

We're all just really unsure of what to do right now.
Um, nothing. Probably say something like, we're here for you blah blah blah. Sometimes people are gay. Whatevs.
Nothing.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Treat them the same as I always did, and be there to support them if they encountered any problems at school or what have you.
Quote by Jkshoe
I didn't really have anything to say to him. He seemed like he was still vulnerable from the shock of finding out, so I didn't want to jump the gun and suggest camps or anything.

...You would suggest the kid go to "gay reversal" or whatever camps? What kind of sick **** are you
Quote by angusfan16
Shoot him in his gay ass face

^^
Suggest camps?

I'd just give the kid a pat on the back and a Men's Heath magazine or something. I don't really see how it would affect my life in any way.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
...You would suggest the kid go to "gay reversal" or whatever camps? What kind of sick **** are you

We call them southerners.
lol what the hell is wrong with you? You're asking this like if there was something you had to do while there absolutely isn't. He's the same person, he's pretty much always been gay but you just didn't know it so what would it change now?
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Quote by Morphogenesis26

From what I hear they're great places for troubled youths to learn about the good book and question their choices in life.

Of course a lot of 'em won't have nothing to do with it and just waste their parents money, but for the one's they do reach it's worth each and every penny.
Quote by Jkshoe
From what I hear they're great places for troubled youths to learn about the good book and question their choices in life.

Of course a lot of 'em won't have nothing to do with it and just waste their parents money, but for the one's they do reach it's worth each and every penny.

You're either a complete imbecile, or a very good troll.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Jkshoe

Just suggest him go to church if you want him to learn about the bible. How is he troubled?
Quote by Jkshoe

An LoTR camp? That seems pretty neat.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
@TS Why would the gender he prefers to put his penis in affect you or any other homophobic asshole's life in any way?

Well my brother is obviously shocked, and rightfully so.

We're good, God fearing people and we just don't think that love belongs between anyone besides a man and a woman.

My brother is trying to do the Christlike thing here, and overlook his son's gayness. But I can tell that it's just tearing him apart inside. He's having a real struggle.
Quote by Jkshoe

Listen and learn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM_PNrVaH3k
Quote by Jkshoe
Well my brother is obviously shocked, and rightfully so.

We're good, God fearing people and we just don't think that love belongs between anyone besides a man and a woman.

My brother is trying to do the Christlike thing here, and overlook his son's gayness. But I can tell that it's just tearing him apart inside. He's having a real struggle.

You've really picked the wrong place to come ask advice for this.
Quote by angusfan16
Shoot him in his gay ass face

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Jkshoe

Red contradicts white; black is an example of an objectively incorrect opinion.

I chose those colors because the Nazi party chose them.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
nothing

just encourage it

that way he can get the best job, and if he's denied he can just go out and scream "it' sbecause i'm gaaaaay, homophobes, HUMAN RIGHTSSS FREEEEEEEEDUMZZZZZZZZZZZ FREEEEEDOMOMZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
Quote by Jkshoe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Over 1500 species have been found to exhibit homosexual behavior and 500 of them are very well documented.

Only one species has been shown to exhibit homophobic behavior.

Humans.
Quote by Jkshoe
so I didn't want to jump the gun and suggest camps or anything.

This whole experience has really just changed my perspective on things. Never once has our family had a gay in it.

If this doesn't change your perspective to be more supportive of gay people, then in regards to the bold, please kill yourself.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
"What's for dinner tonight dad?"
"Cream of cornhole!"

In Canada this dish is known as a Santorum
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Jkshoe

I bet it did, just your Christian upbringing prevented anyone from admitting it. Cudos to your nephew for having the bravery to do so.
I dunno, teenagers are naturally always constantly working towards figuring out who/what they are. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if a 14 year old started experimenting - its an age where experimentation comes naturally. Maybe he's really homosexual, maybe he will turn out not to be. Can you think of anything you did when you were a teenager that you wouldn't dare think of doing now?

Sometimes people just aren't sure of themselves - and the best way to figure yourself out is to experiment.

I don't really see what bad can come of it.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
well, i applaud you in coming here for advice instead of some bible-thumping forum where you're more likely to get answers you find agreeable.

please don't even consider bringing up camps. they are backward. i didn't even know anybody thought they were still a good idea anymore. i dunno how i'd handle this, but i'm 100% sure i wouldn't make some foolish attempt at trying to convince my kid out of being gay.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Aside from maybe start taking him to gay bars instead of hooters or whatever, nothing

(obviously if he is 21. But I didn't have a clever post for an underaged son)
Last edited by Wormholes at Nov 15, 2013,
"K. Koo." *shrug*

EDIT: After reading more of the thread, I have to say kudos to the kid for coming out to people like your family, because people like your family are the only reason people are afraid to come out.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Nov 15, 2013,
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
We call them southerners.

oh my god that was soooo funny, cause all southerners are racist right?

I've seen more instances of racism, class discrimination, and sexism in the north than I ever have when I've been to to any southern state.

Except for Florida.
Page 1 of 5