Hi all,

I have gotten into ambient guitar over the past year and have an extensive pedalboard. I am currently using a THR10C because I am in an apartment and it has some really great tones at low volume.

However, the amount of delays and modulation I throw at the front of this thing causes it to distort, even on the bass setting. I am looking at alternatives and realize this might be a tall order as I want a nice clean tone with a digital amp that can handle pedals.

I am looking at the Mustang 3 because it has the effects loop - I assume this will help with the clipping I am hearing. Given its 100w, but digital, will I still get a nice sound from the amp? The THR10C lets me hear nuances in my guitar I never heard on a tube amp at apartment levels and I don't want to lose that moving to the Mustang at such a high wattage rating, but feel that I need the effects loop. I hear the Mustang is still a decent clean amp.

What are your thoughts on this? I have listed my pedalchain below for reference too. Thanks in advance!

DynaComp -> POG2 -> Phase90 -> Wampler Pinnacle -> Volume Pedal -> Carbon Copy -> M9 -> Hall of Fame -> DigiTech Jamman (I also want a SuperEgo eventually)
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
I think you're a perfect candidate for a POD. Headphones and stereo outputs mean that you can really take advantage of a large sound stage without getting two amps, or a dedicated stereo power amp. You can hook it up to your computer and layer, too.

If you just want a cheap, clean amp with an effects loop, the company Acoustic makes the Lead Guitar series which are inexpensive SS amps with a surprisingly good clean tone and an effects loop (at least on the bigger ones, don't remember if the small ones have it). That, or a lot of the old Peavey and Crate SS amps have a decent clean and a loop. They're often cheap used, and some of the Peaveys were in stereo, too, which would be a plus for you. Heck, you could even get a stereo keyboard amplifier if you found a cheap one used. Those are good for higher input signal and have a neutral tone to them.
Thanks Colin. I hesitate to doing the POD because I do like having an actual amp and not being confined to headphones. Plus, I have a ton of pedals that (maybe I am wrong) I feel wouldn't really utilize the PODs extra features.

I will look into the recommendations you suggested - but are the cleans on a SS going to be glassy like a Twin/Deluxe Reverb or chimey like a Vox? I do enjoy that digital modelers get close and would like to find a happy medium between that tonal character and using my existing pedals.
deluxe reverb, attenuator...done.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
I've tried attenuation and at the volumes I'm at it sounds so flat.

Am I wrong to assume that a solid state or modeler with an effects loop will reduce the change of clipping? At most I would be hitting the front end with is a compressor and pog.
Quote by sixstringedmatt

I have gotten into ambient guitar over the past year and have an extensive pedalboard. I am currently using a THR10C because I am in an apartment and it has some really great tones at low volume.

However, the amount of delays and modulation I throw at the front of this thing causes it to distort, even on the bass setting. I am looking at alternatives and realize this might be a tall order as I want a nice clean tone with a digital amp that can handle pedals.

You're barking up the right tree with the Mustang, and you'll get what you're looking for with it. You've currently got a barely 10W amp with 3 1/2" speakers.

Roc8995 is on the money with the Pod recommendation as well. I've got over 15 tube amps, but I mostly use a Pod HD (the little bean model). I can use it as a recording tool, I can run it into headphones, I can run it into a pair of KRK Rokit 8 powered nearfield monitors, I can mount it in one of the three Atomic Reactor amps I have, I can run it into my 1500W SS power amp and into a pair of full-range fEARless F115s, and I can run it into the mixer of a PA. You have more versatility and in a smaller package than with almost any other modeler. A few of your pedals are virtually duplicated inside the Pod, and you can set up chains internally without the loss and/or modification of signal caused by a raft of cables and connectors. The Pod HD itself cost me under $300 (discounted, of course) and that may be cheaper than a couple of your pedals <G>. Remember that you've got the ability to run your current pedals into the Pod exactly as you would any amplifier, and there's even an FX loop...
Thanks dspellman. I'm in a bind because I don't think the computer / monitor scenario would work, as I have limited space in my apartment. However, with the POD it might work, I just have this aversion to the tool since I already have so many pedals. I think I'm already biased toward the Mustang 3, which is probably silly.
Quote by sixstringedmatt
I just have this aversion to the tool since I already have so many pedals.

Believe me, I know the feeling. I've got two of those big flap-top plastic bins

carefully and tightly packed chock-full of FX pedals accumulated over a lot of years. Some are now considered "vintage" and are worth silly money. At an average of $200 a pop, just the recent Wampler pedals alone have put a serious dent in my piggy bank. We did a bit of figuring and found that *less than half* of one of those bins, if sold off at average used prices, could easily pay for an Axe-FX II plus MIDI foot controller plus one of those Atomic CLR powered speaker setups.