Hello friends,
My guitar teacher told me some different versions of Sa Re Ga Ma ... I got confused with so many different versions. Here are they

Here are the list of my doubts

1) As there are only Seven Swaras, then why there are two "Sa" in Higher ocatve at two different position (2nd String 1st Fret and 1st String 8th fret)

2) Are they correct

3) How many more versions are there ?
Last edited by 22990atinesh at Apr 2, 2014,
Hello,

I'm not familiar with the indian namings but this looks like a C major scale. You can find many different positions for playing this scale on the fretboard, just play any combination of the following C D E F G A B.

(Invalid img)

(NB: the orientation is inverted, compared to your images.)

The same note can be found at different positions, sometimes the same octave, sometimes different. To understand, the best is to play it and use your ear.

I also have questions about indian music... Are the indian notes (Sa, Re, Ga, Ma, Pa, Dha, Ni) the same as occidental (C, D, E, F, G, A, B)? I've heard that the semitones (and maybe the tones) are different?
Attachments:
scale.png
Last edited by Jimi_bemol at Nov 23, 2013,
Hello, Jimi_bemol
Today I ask my music teacher about the mapping of the notes of indian classical music and western music. Then I'll post you
Hello, Jimi_bemol
I asked my teacher and he told me the same thing that u said. And he also taught me Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni in A minor scale.
OK thanks! I think the guitar is maybe not the best instrument to play indian music, because of the equal temperament (all semitones are the same).
Quote by Jimi_bemol
OK thanks! I think the guitar is maybe not the best instrument to play indian music, because of the equal temperament (all semitones are the same).

Hello Jimi_bemol,
Here is the actual mapping of the notes in western music and Indian Classical music

C - Sa (Natural/Shuddha)
C# - Re (Flat/Komal)
D - Re (Natural/Shuddha)
D# - Ga (Flat/Komal)
E - Ga (Natural/Shuddha)
F - Ma (Natural/Shuddha)
F# - Ma (Sharp/Tivra)
G - Pa (Natural/Shuddha)
G# - Dha (Flat/Komal)
A - Dha (Natural/Shuddha)
A# - Ni (Flat/Komal)
B - Ni Sa (Natural/Shuddha)

and one more thing here Flat and Sharp doesn't refers to next / previous note as in C# / Db. Here Flat and Sharp just represents pitch of the note.