Page 1 of 2
I have a solo guitar performance at college in February, and I want to pick out the 3 songs for it now, however, I am quite limited with what I listen to, so I'm having trouble choosing a 3rd song.
I want the 3rd song to be in standard tuning, and not by Muse (I'm really into them and have performed a couple of Muse songs for other performances, I want a bit of variety)
I've been playing since September last year, but I've come quite far in that time, I have no real weaknesses in terms of ability, but I cannot sweep pick (yet)

Songs I have so far:

Muse - Citizen Erased
Apocalyptica - Worlds Collide (I am in the process of transcribing it for guitar and bass)

Bands/genres I'm into:

Muse, Apocalyptica, Breaking Benjamin, Evanescence, Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park, Dream Theater, Cryoshell, SOAD. I'm generally into rock and metal, though there are exceptions (I'm quite specific with my metal)

I'd be grateful for any suggestions, it would be great if suggestions were based on/influenced by my musical interests listed above

Thanks in advance
Doesn't Jazz require great technical skill and precision?
Not digging that song..
Quote by xtinction
Doesn't Jazz require great technical skill and precision?

That's like asking if basketball requires a 42" vertical leap.

Quote by xtinction
Giving Bolt Thrower a listen, any specific songs you'd suggest?

The early stuff is rawer and grindier. The later stuff is more melodic. You really can't go wrong with any of their full lengths besides Mercenary, which was mediocre.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Nov 15, 2013,
I only say that because the other musician's on my course say so, I assumed they would be correct. And, Jazz doesn't really seem like my thing to be honest, I find it difficult to learn and perfect a song if I don't particularly like it
Keep learning muse songs cant go wrong
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
I know a lot of Muse songs, and I like playing them, but I really want something by another band for my performance
I forgot to mention in the first post, the song cannot be very simple or repetitive, I know I'm being picky, but it's the requirement for my performance. So, Faint isn't really an option, I looked into it before
Sounds like you need prog then
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Ya, I was thinking Dream Theater, but I'm not overly familiar with a lot of their work (I've only just started listening to them) I know that quite a few of their songs aren't in standard tuning, and many involve sweep picking. And I'm not sure if I'll be able to learn to sweep by February
On a serious note, why not do something classical? It will sound by better by yourself, you won't need a backing track and it'll make you look more well rounded as a Guitarist.
You'll bore your audience if you play jazz, always play metal. I would also suggest something that isn't entry level like A7X. I think you should play some Death Metal like Cannibal Corpse, especially their song "I cum Blood or Necropedophile." People have great respect for something artsy with shock value.
Quote by xtinction
Any suggestions on the classical side then?

Depends whether you want something fairly well know known or technical and obscure.

Quote by Genrecore
You'll bore your audience if you play jazz, always play metal. I would also suggest something that isn't entry level like A7X. I think you should play some Death Metal like Cannibal Corpse, especially their song "I cum Blood or Necropedophile." People have great respect for something artsy with shock value.

You're an idiot. Or a troll.
I get mixed vibes about A7X from other people, some say they're terrible, and not worthy to be called metal, others really like them, though more because of Syn than anything else, are they really entry level standard? Not that I was thinking of playing any A7X, as none of their stuff is in standard (I think)
I was considering Crystal Mountain by Death, it sounds pretty cool, and not impossible..
Go for something acoustic to surprise people.

Dee or blackbird or something.
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Quote by Malchius
Depends whether you want something fairly well know known or technical and obscure.

Technical and obscure, I want to impress
Quote by xtinction
I get mixed vibes about A7X from other people, some say they're terrible, and not worthy to be called metal, others really like them, though more because of Syn than anything else, are they really entry level standard? Not that I was thinking of playing any A7X, as none of their stuff is in standard (I think)
I was considering Crystal Mountain by Death, it sounds pretty cool, and not impossible..

they're hard rock, and I don't even know what entry level means, lol

Most of their stuff is fairly easy, but Syn has some pretty ****ing tough solos and I would be fairly impressed by someone who could play them cleanly. "Cleanly" being the key word

They are in Drop D though so it doesn't even matter
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I have no acoustic guitar, and I'm not really a fan of acoustic stuff. But throw some suggestions at me, it all really depends on the song
Quote by xtinction

Try one of Paganini lesser known Caprices. You've got 24 to look at, no. 24 and 5 are pretty well known so try one of the others.
Quote by xtinction
I have no acoustic guitar, and I'm not really a fan of acoustic stuff. But throw some suggestions at me, it all really depends on the song

Dee - Black Sabbath

Blackbird - Beatles

Classico - the D
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Quote by xtinction
Again with the Jazz.. >.<
Do Cannibal Corpse work in standard?

Standard Eb down to B I believe.
And yeah, I find Syn's solos are irritating to learn as many, if not all, involve sweeping or very articulate picking..

The kind of picking speed in that PG video above from 35-38 seconds is the kind of thing I cannot do, I don't have the speed or accuracy.
I've heard of Paginini, I will give some of it a listen
Quote by xtinction

Oh please don't follow this guy's advice, hes a pretentious twat who only listen to classical to look intellectual. You don't want to look like that pompous twat wanking off to his electric kazoo, wearing a blouse, playing the only classical thing he knows
and that is Paganini. Death metal is a very respectable genre that isn't pretentious. If you want to be the next Yngwie go ahead, but if you want to be the next Chuck Schuldiner follow my suggestion.
Just to bump on the Dream Theater point I briefly mentioned earlier, is there anything by them in standard, that doesn't involve the very fast picking I mentioned above?
Not to sure what the tuning is here but this song is sweet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de1bt5dc2t0

This would be cool to learn. You'd need to be decent with delay though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYsbZbAKnAg

Oh, Dillinger is in standard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX5uKOGGQIc

This is a fun one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKZkkBFCceY

Circa Survive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNwQ2UeV3ec
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Nov 15, 2013,
Quote by Genrecore
Oh please don't follow this guy's advice, hes a pretentious twat who only listen to classical to look intellectual. You don't want to look like that pompous twat wanking off to his electric kazoo, wearing a blouse, playing the only classical thing he knows
and that is Paganini. Death metal is a very respectable genre that isn't pretentious. If you want to be the next Yngwie go ahead, but if you want to be the next Chuck Schuldiner follow my suggestion.

I'd rather be a pretentious twat than a 'death to all but metal' neck beard.
Quote by Malchius

This looks like it will be interesting *gets popcorn*
My personal stance on this is each to their own, i hold no prejudices against anyone for their music choices, unless they like Lil Wayne for his guitar playing, if you can even call it that.

Anyway, I really, really, like the This Will Destroy song, but the precision you'd need for the delay...
Quote by Malchius

Oh and you probably have a problem with "Dad rock" also? I admit, I do have a beard, I'm a metal nerd and I do own a fedora, and I sometimes hang out in reddit. Kudos to you, you hit the nail on the head, you perfectly described me. I'm I supposed to be offended?

Let's stay objective, the OP clearly wanted technical impressive guitar based music. Metal is the perfect genre for that, I'm sick of twats trying to play pure classical music on the ****ing guitar when it sounds like an kazoo. My suggestion to OP, is that he plays Opeth as it is closest to anything technical on par with classical music. Atleast, Opeth is pure unadulterated goodness, it is strictly progressive death metal, no bullshit, no wankery.
Page 1 of 2