I have a Kustom combo, couldn't tell you exact model right now (I know, I'm a terrible gear-head), and a Fender MIM P bass which I love.

I just want to upgrade my pups.

I'm looking for versaitility: I play everything from Worship to jazz to death metal.

I want a pickup with a good thick sound, but can also get punky when using a pick. Honestly I want something huge and sonic sounding, if you know what I mean.

Steve Harris SD's or EMG P/PA are what I'm thinking, but I know there are always those under-the-radar brands with great stuff, so give me what you think UG.
Slappa tha bass
The trouble is not many of us fit more than one or two sets of replacement PUPs. I've heard a lot of Quarter Pounders sounding great in other people's basses. I replaced my P-pups with Kent Armstrongs, the trad sounding alnico ones and they really livened up the sound. I was very pleased.

Your biggest choice is between the over-wound darker sounding pups like the quarter pounders and trad sounding ones which are more versatile. Most manufacturers make variations on both.

For true versatility nothing beats a second pup though.

Have you thought of keeping your pup's and spending on a pre amp instead, something like the John East.
Last edited by Phil Starr at Nov 16, 2013,
Quote by Phil Starr
The trouble is not many of us fit more than one or two sets of replacement PUPs. I've heard a lot of Quarter Pounders sounding great in other people's basses. I replaced my P-pups with Kent Armstrongs, the trad sounding alnico ones and they really livened up the sound. I was very pleased.

Your biggest choice is between the over-wound darker sounding pups like the quarter pounders and trad sounding ones which are more versatile. Most manufacturers make variations on both.

For true versatility nothing beats a second pup though.

Have you thought of keeping your pup's and spending on a pre amp instead, something like the John East.

Well honestly money is scarce for me right now and I've been told I can get a gift for Christmas worth $100, so I thought new pups would be nice
Slappa tha bass
While I echo Phil's suggestion about electronics, I'd point you in a slightly different direction. Stellartone produce a product called the ToneStyler Bass Six, which is a replacement tone pot that adjusts the pickup's resonant frequency and allows for the adjustment of the treble roll off point. Costs about $80.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Check out the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder.

Can personally recommend these. Turned my poop-sounding knock off p-bass into a clear, punk rock capable bass with a professional sound
I personally like the Dimarzio Split-p. They're pretty high gain, and each half is a complete humbucker. I've used a bass with these pickups in church before as well so they're also well suited for worship settings.