I'm not a guitar expert by any means, so everything I say might sound ******ed.

This is just a crappy Chinese no-name guitar, and I wish to replace the neck. I have a bolt on neck sitting around, with what appears to be the same size neck joint.

The neck joint pictured looks like it's just a bolt on, but the bolts are covered. Or is it actually a set neck?

Thank you for any serious answers.
Attachments:
WP_20131116_001[1].jpg
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Quote by Explorerbuilder
How does it look "like the bolts are covered"? Looks like a set neck to me.
I'll never underestimate the Chinese building techniques of anything. As I said, I'm not a guitar expert, and I'm sure there have been some interesting Chinese guitar builds.

So it wouldn't be worth the effort to try and put a different neck on this guitar?
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
If you are ditching the neck thats on it already then its really just a case of taking the fretboard off, removing the truss rod and then routing out the old neck and shaping the neck pocket.....in general set necks are deeper than bolt on so it is doubtful your bolt on with sit at the right height (although thats not to hard to change) and the thickness of the wood left could be a bit weak as well so your best bet is to only rout as deep as you need for the new neck and just hope that the old neck was glued in well so the wood underneath is nice and strong....

Is it a firebird of some kind????.....what is it about the neck you don't like???
Quote by sytharnia1560
If you are ditching the neck thats on it already then its really just a case of taking the fretboard off, removing the truss rod and then routing out the old neck and shaping the neck pocket.....in general set necks are deeper than bolt on so it is doubtful your bolt on with sit at the right height (although thats not to hard to change) and the thickness of the wood left could be a bit weak as well so your best bet is to only rout as deep as you need for the new neck and just hope that the old neck was glued in well so the wood underneath is nice and strong....

Is it a firebird of some kind????.....what is it about the neck you don't like???
It's an explorer knock off. The neck I want to put on feels a lot nicer in my hand, and is of better quality. The neck on the guitar isn't horrible by any means, the only real problem is the quality of the fretboard, other than that, preference.

Not really worth the effort considering the price/quality of the guitar.
- Devin Townsend
It's way to much work for a Chinese guitar, the routing, painting, new neck and installation would cost a lot more than a nicer korean guitar
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
Quote by sytharnia1560

That actually isnt how you take a set neck out.

But either way, i still dont think it would be worth it.
How a well neck is fretted makes a big difference in playability. It's not worth taking a set neck mid price guitar apart. But, perhaps the frets are what's bothering you. A nice set of medium jumbos, (or even jumbos), with well dressed ends, might make this a go-to axe for you.

Yeah I know, neck contours are different. That said, unless it's a radical departure like a "V" back contour, you should be able to adjust. Necks aren't going to have the same contour from brand to brand, or model to model. Hell, sometimes from year to year in the same make and model guitar.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 16, 2013,
The fact that you think there's some hidden bolts shows me a set neck replacement might not be your thing. If there are bolts in there, I'd like to congratulate the Chinese for being so damn good at hiding them!
There are other things to count in like scale length, whether the headstock or neck pocket is angled, nut type(Does the guitar have a tremolo?) and also the heel thickness on a set neck vs. a bolt-on. Bolt-on necks usually have heels that are usually less than 1" thick while set necks have much thicker heels.

With that being said, you could educate yourself to be a better woodworker and learn how to do some more advanced woodworking techniques. After you do this, you will be able to figure out how to fill your set-neck pocket to fit a bolt-on.
..I was watching my death.
It would be easier and less risky *still pretty risky though* to reshape the neck yourself rather than changing it out. I wouldnt suggest that you do either though.