I'm looking to try and find a pedal for the other guitarist in my band - I've always used the overdrive channel on my amp (since having a tube amp) so I know very little about what is available in the way of pedals.

My friend's amp is a 100W VOX head, something like AC100H but I forget - it's a two channel amp, but the drive channel is kind of grainy and whiney even when it's tuned pretty well. Or at least, it's nothing on the clean channel. The consensus of the situation is that when jamming around we cranked the gain to about 7-8 on the clean channel of my friend's amp, and found that it's capable of producing a glorious fat and bluesy crunch tone. (NOT looking for a really heavy/tight gain).

But of course when gigging we A) won't be able to use the amp at that volume and B) he will still need to use the clean channel about 80% of the time, and needs to switch to drive during songs.

So what kind of pedal do you people think we can get? Something to bring a nice natural and ballsy boost to the amp's clean channel, to recreate that cranked, bluesy sound.

Price range would probably be up to £120, or for American users whatever you can get for up to $200 - though availability might be an issue if it's something obscure.
Last edited by ab ovo at Nov 16, 2013,
Your best bet may be to head to a shop with the amp and guitar and ask to try a bunch. Tubescreamers are known for having a bass roll off and will tighten the sound, whereas a straight clean boost shouldn't enhance any frequencies or colour your tone.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Suhr pedals are good in this train thoughts:

the Koko boost is a god boost... just to boost the amp valves saturation.

The Shiba Drive is kind of a blues overdrive, very nice and smooth.

The Riot is great for turning a good clean channel into a rock machine (not metal)

Take a look, they are expensive, but they are worth every penny.
I'd buy at least one new preamp tube and try it in different places, maybe two. Buy something decent. What you're describing just isn't right. No way I'd call an AC100 whiney. Unless it's some AC100 I don't know about.
I think you're looking at a dodgey tube there.

But for the pedal, Bad Monkey if you're broke, Green Rhino if you aint.
And get a Timmy at some stage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Lavatain
Your best bet may be to head to a shop with the amp and guitar and ask to try a bunch. Tubescreamers are known for having a bass roll off and will tighten the sound, whereas a straight clean boost shouldn't enhance any frequencies or colour your tone.

I would snap at the opportunity, but the nearest music shop that is kitted out enough to demo a good range of equipment is about 2 hours from where I live. I actually have an MXR Micro Amp, I will try it out in his amp - but I never noticed it to break up my own amp very much, if at all. Do you have any suggestions for pedals that would fit the bill?

I've never seen Suhr pedals before but they seem very well reviewed and have some encouraging demos.

Quote by Cathbard
Unless it's some AC100 I don't know about.

It's an AC100CPH, not one of the old units I'll suggest preamp tubes to him though (definitely a cheap tone improving option) but the power tubes are definitely up to scratch, they were replaced and biased a few months ago. Also I like that Way Huge pedal, very pretty sound and just in the price bracket.
Last edited by ab ovo at Nov 16, 2013,
It's probably just one preamp tube that's screwing it up. Your mission is to identify and replace it. I'd go for a JJ ECC83S or if it's a head grab a JJ ECC803.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification