So i restrung my Ibanez RG the other day as one does when the strings get too rusty. I played it that day and the day after. Didn't touch it for a day, come back to it today and the strings are rusty enough to inhibit my playing ability. This is extremely discouraging because i hate changing strings and not to mention strings cost like $15 here in Western Australia. I was hoping maybe somebody might have some insight as to what could be the problem here? I'll list some things that i think MIGHT be an issue and maybe somebody can clarify if so..

I use elixir 9-42s

It's VERY hot and humid with summer approaching The temperature is a steady 35 degrees celcius pretty much every day.
My hands of course are sweating more than usual because of this.

The other thing that i also considered was the strings i used i bought about 6 months ago, however they have always been left in my guitar case in their unopened packet.

What's really weird though is that i use the exact same strings on my schecter which i restrung a couple weeks ago and those strings are still absolutely fine. It seems most logical that the humidity and heat would cause string rust, however if that were the case it should be happening to all my guitars.

I'm really confused and i just don't understand what's happening to my poor strings . If anyone has any idea of any variables which would cause such shockingly rapid string rust that would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Wipe them down when you're done. Elixers should not rust at all, even though I hate them they're probably the right call for where you live, yeah they are not worth the money also IMO you could get 3 or 4 packs of D'Addario
every once in a while you pop in a brand new set of elixirs and they go rusty after a few days. I string all 4 of my guitars with elixirs and have been using them for the last 3 years. every so 1 out 10 sets is a dud, from my experience.

*edit: they usually last me until they a string breaks which is around 3 months for me. and I do basically only play leads now a days with bends every few seconds. so a set looking and feeling liek new for 3 months while being tortured with my playing style is a good feat. dont let a dud set put you off from this brand.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Nov 19, 2013,
D'Addario have the best lifespan for me. Multipacks on amazon are really cheap.
Make sure the elixirs you buy say "With anti-rust plain steels" on the packaging.
Quote by Tempoe
Wipe them down when you're done. Elixers should not rust at all, even though I hate them they're probably the right call for where you live, yeah they are not worth the money also IMO you could get 3 or 4 packs of D'Addario

Definitely wipe down the strings (and the rest of the guitar) with a rag after you play. I don't use Elixirs (I prefer Ernie Ball), but Tempoe's right...this will help a lot.