Page 1 of 4
If you have noticed lately, the young acclaimed band, "Ghost" (Ghost BC) have garnered much attention. Many argue this is due to their theatrics or rather "gimmick" than the actual quality of the music. Some say they are an average pub rock band and the sole reason of their success is due to their costumes. Others defend criticisms by arguing that Ghost should be judge based on an audio-visuals, rather than pure audio itself.

I ask you for your opinion.

-Does Ghost have actually have a gimmick that it has been accused of or it's just part of their "imagery"? Many black metal bands such as Immortal are also known for their eccentric attire, however they do not come under much fire for it.

-Is majority of Ghost's success is due to it's gimmick?

-To what extent should we judge music based on audio alone and it's audio-visual counterparts, like imagery? Many art forms combine audio and visuals such as a play or a musical. Thus, should we judge Ghost purely on music?

-Is Ghost a trve metal band or are they false metal? This is the whole reason I made this thread, to keep metal pure with no alloys.
Attachments:
download.jpg
Last edited by Genrecore at Nov 16, 2013,
I don't think anyone has ever heard of that.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Anyone who uses the term "false metal" seriously is a ****ing idiot.

I really like their first album. Second album was kind of shitty.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Genrecore

-Is Ghost a trve metal band or are they false metal? This is the whole reason I made this thread, to keep metal pure with no alloys.

Theatrics have been a part of metal for as long as the genre has existed.

Trying to keep a music genre "pure" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If you don't like a particular band, it has absolutely no effect on the quality of other bands of the same genre. Many metal musicians incorporate influences from all kinds of music. Making an effort to resist influence is counterproductive.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Anyone who uses the term "false metal" seriously is a ****ing idiot.

I really like their first album. Second album was kind of shitty.

This. What the fuck is 'false metal'?
It's been going on for decades, Bowie..whatever did try theatrics and costumes, they just get more extreme over the years, metal is just music performance like other genres
Quote by sashki
Theatrics have been a part of metal for as long as the genre has existed.

Trying to keep a music genre "pure" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If you don't like a particular band, it has absolutely no effect on the quality of other bands of the same genre. Many metal musicians incorporate influences from all kinds of music. Making an effort to resist influence is counterproductive.

Don't get me started on how shit metalcore is.
Ghost are pretty great. Good music, lovely production and tongue-in-cheek satanism. Yeah I'm on board.
Quote by Genrecore

Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Genrecore

Not all metalcore is bad. There is a lot of good metalcore out there. You just have to look for it.
Last edited by Skat3rat at Nov 16, 2013,
I don't care enough about the subject matter to give a serious response, so have a gif of a dancing Pokemon.

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
^ That's like the best Metal song I've heard

Also your title doesn't make sense.
Last edited by Malchius at Nov 16, 2013,
I don't care about the costumes themself, but they've given the band a distinct identity and their music's pretty good too. I just didn't like Ghuleh/Zombie Queen from the latest album. Year Zero was brilliant.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by ChucklesMginty

I see, I have gained much hostility for simply stating the truth and I get this shit? If this was metal-archives you would get your ass impaled on the stake for posting that. I am the emissary of truth, to educate the sheep from their own ignorance.
Quote by Woffelz
I don't care about the costumes themself, but they've given the band a distinct identity and their music's pretty good too. I just didn't like Ghuleh/Zombie Queen from the latest album. Year Zero was brilliant.

Year Zero made up for all the shitty tracks. The lyrics really suffered and it all felt very forced. Per Aspera Ad Inferi was good too. Secular Haze wasn't bad.

Quote by Genrecore
I see, I have gained much hostility for simply stating the truth and I get this shit? If this was metal-archives you would get your ass impaled on the stake for posting that. I am the emissary of truth, to educate the sheep from their own ignorance.

We're hostile because you're a stupid cunt.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
KISS -if it wasn't for there makeup at first no one would know who they were
So OP, I just checked your profile:

I am a metal nerd (elitist)
I sometimes like to hangout in Reddit
I despise religion
I only listen to trve metal
I have a neckbeard
I do own and often wear a fedora

This is either a very lazy troll or a very sad person. I can't tell which it is.

Quote by Genrecore

lol holy shit is this guy for real
Quote by Genrecore
If this was metal-archives you would get your ass impaled on the stake for posting that.

Nah. They would probably just not care and look at you and laugh.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Never even heard of them. I dont keep up with music unless the guitar player is unbelievably amazing, like buckethead or tony macalpine

edit: holy ****ing shit is that band foreal? That might have been the worst thingi have ever heard in my life. wwwrraaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnrrrrrraaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh beep boop bebop wwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

wtf are they mentally ******ed?
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Nov 16, 2013,
Quote by necrosis1193
So OP, I just checked your profile:

This is either a very lazy troll or a very sad person. I can't tell which it is.

No, I have devoted my life to metal. Most people would accuse me of a troll, but the fact is I have an undying devotion to metal. I go to my local metal bands, I support their music. I have long hair, and I try to give much to the metal community. People have made a mockery to people who shown much reverence to metal, thus making a bullshit steotype. It is all true, I'm a neckbeard, so what? I just can't stand when people praise metalcore.
The word "gimmicks" makes me wanna check them out so much more. Like "true metal" isn't some ringing endorsement. "Relies on gimmicks" is so much more interesting.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Genrecore
No, I have devoted my life to metal. Most people would accuse me of a troll, but the fact is I have an undying devotion to metal. I go to my local metal bands, I support their music. I have long hair, and I try to give much to the metal community. People have made a mockery to people who shown much reverence to metal, thus making a bullshit steotype. It is all true, I'm a neckbeard, so what? I just can't stand when people praise metalcore.

Still less metal than John Clayton

I can quite honestly say that this is the lamest thing i've ever seen in a long, long time. Seriously weak, you guys.

Watching some fat, sweaty basement dweller try to hit on his 2nd cousin at a funeral is cooler than this.

Quote by Genrecore

in the old days, I would've been ALL OVER THIS. sadly, one strike policy and all that. Oh well.

EDIT: dammit.

you know that this world can provide you with things like beautiful places, music that isn't just metal, and even vaginas. YES, that's correct, YOU TOO could right now be engaging in coitus with a girl, maybe TWO girls. All it would take is maybe loosening up a little bit. You can't dump red coloured corn starch and water on an alter to the damned EVERY day and not get bored of it, surely.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Nov 16, 2013,
edit: this troll gets a meh/10
Last edited by Mr E Meat at Nov 16, 2013,
Who's going to make the mirror thread about Genrecore being the lamest troll we've had in a while?
Quote by Genrecore

You dont like metalcore? Northlane, born of osiris, contortionist? Those kinds of bands? Besides nothing really happening other than tight breakchops, its not that band compared to other metal.
Page 1 of 4