I purchased my first electric guitar around 5 months ago. I paid around $200 for the guitar. It's the Yamaha PAC012. The guy at the music store said it is a good beginner guitar. Ever since I got it, I've been playing everyday for around 2-3 hours or more. I'm really enjoying it. I have been learning off the internet and watching videos. I've learned a lot. I mainly play rock and metal.

When do you think is the best time to get a new guitar? How long should I wait?
Sooner the better IMO, if you can afford it, get it now. Maybe better new prices after xmas, or on the next big sale day
I imagine you having a pain in the ass playing steel acoustics.

In my opinion you should buy a guitar when you start having the need for a new one.
For instace; I bought a new one when I wanted a new/better sound. Beginners can't tell the difference between a Bullet Squier and a Custom Shop. The more you play the more you start to notice the strong/subtle differences between guitars, amps and pickups.

I also started of with a Yamaha Pacifica. After a while I started noticing that the pickups were just rubish, the frets were too "sharp" and the overal playability sucked. I tried an American Fender Strat of my friend and I felt the difference immediately. At that point I decided to buy a new guitar.

Sometimes it's a mather of frustration. You get upset with your guitar, try some at your local guitar shop.

tl;dr : do YOU think you need a new guitar?
Depends on a lot of things.
1- gaining experience with the guitar. I mean you need to be patient and start from bottom to top.
2- If the guitar gets f-ed up, then you need a new one.
3- If you feel like you need a new one then get one.

I myself bought my first guitar when I was 13 and used it 5 days ago when I turned 22. Till I realized that the sound of the guitar is not what I want so I got a new one for 280 USD. My old guitar is a Yamaha package that comes with picks and amplifiers. IDK what's the name of the guitar though I only know the brand.
Try learning easy songs like House of the Rising Sun by The Animals or Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by AC DC.

Good luck.
Quote by AmirT
I imagine you having a pain in the ass playing steel acoustics.

In my opinion you should buy a guitar when you start having the need for a new one.
For instace; I bought a new one when I wanted a new/better sound. Beginners can't tell the difference between a Bullet Squier and a Custom Shop. The more you play the more you start to notice the strong/subtle differences between guitars, amps and pickups.

I also started of with a Yamaha Pacifica. After a while I started noticing that the pickups were just rubish, the frets were too "sharp" and the overal playability sucked. I tried an American Fender Strat of my friend and I felt the difference immediately. At that point I decided to buy a new guitar.

Sometimes it's a mather of frustration. You get upset with your guitar, try some at your local guitar shop.

tl;dr : do YOU think you need a new guitar?

I'm not sure. The reason I didn't spend a lot of money on my first electric guitar is because I just wanted to try it out. Even since I've gotten it, I'm really enjoying paying guitar.
TS, if you really feel like you're going to devote the time to guitar, then get a new guitar that you are going to want to play all the time, even when you sleep

If I was you, I would try waiting until there was a good deal at your local guitar store, and spend ~$500 on a good guitar that you enjoy. Make sure there are no sharp fret ends, that you like the neck shape, the body shape, the sound (if you have an amp, bring it in), and the finish/colour of the guitar.

If you really want a new guitar, make another thread saying you're looking for a new guitar and would like suggestions for one.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I have an acoustic and an electric.

The reason I am wanting a new acoustic is because the one I got is a cheap laminate wood beginner. I find myself playing acoustic songs more than electric, and more than half the time I play songs that use alt tunings. So it makes a lot of sense to have 2 acoustics if you ask me.

Sounds like you need an acoustic.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
whenever you can afford it and you feel like you need it(or want it nothing gets me more motivated to play than a new toy)
if its the sound thats lacking though a new amp may be in order

i mysef have been using the same ibanez rg guitar for most of my playing career just upgraded everything on it
Quote by supersac
whenever you can afford it and you feel like you need it(or want it nothing gets me more motivated to play than a new toy)
if its the sound thats lacking though a new amp may be in order

i mysef have been using the same ibanez rg guitar for most of my playing career just upgraded everything on it

never a bad time for a new guitar. if you can afford it and find one you really like then go for it. in time you'll learn what is just GAS and when you find a fitting guitar. bought 3so far this year.
Interesting answers, but nobody really hit it on the head.

Ideally, when you buy your first guitar, it should be the best you can afford. The logic behind that advice goes like this - Buying a cheap guitar for your first can actually do more to discourage you. They're frequently poorly set up and may not utilize the best materials and craftsmanship.

However, most people don't follow that advice, since they're afraid of losing interest. Fact is, even if you lose interest, you're better off trying to sell a more expensive guitar as opposed to a cheap one.

Having said all of that, I'd go ahead and buy one now. If you're ready for it, you'll know it. Sounds like you know that you're ready. Buy a quality instrument - something that will last you several years.
^ Agreed.

Another reason beginners don't want to spend too much is because they don't know what they like and/or are scared of getting something unsuitable. While I have some sympathy with that problem (and it's definitely worth bearing in mind), I'm still not sure it's a good enough reason to put up with a crap instrument which, as you implied, might end up becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy (in regards to quitting, I mean).

While we can't tell you what exact type of guitar you'll gel with, we can definitely make sure you don't end up with something which is totally unsuitable for the type of music you want to play. heck even most people wanting to start guitar, with a little common sense, shouldn't end up with something totally unsuitable- not too many prospective new metal players have their heart set on a jazz box, for example.

TL;DNR: it's always a good time to buy a new guitar. Or maybe I just have terminal GAS...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's always a good time to buy a new guitar.

+1
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
to add to the 2 above posts many new players have preconceived notions based soley on what their then current fav players are using when choosing a guitar. what will work best for you may not be even close to what you think without some experience. best bet is to play as many different guitars as you can and go with what works best for you.
Quote by monwobobbo
to add to the 2 above posts many new players have preconceived notions based soley on what their then current fav players are using when choosing a guitar. what will work best for you may not be even close to what you think without some experience.

yeah that's a good point.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
as long as you can afford it then it´s alway´s time for a new guitar....your going to end up paying way to much on gear along the road, on jems and on crap....but it´s all part of the learning experience...it´s whats going to help you find what suites you best and what sound you like.

I still have my first electric and I can´t Believe that I was ever able to make anything that sounded like music on it......but I still remember how much I loved the damned thing and I really don´t think I would of ended up a better player if I had been handed a real fender telecaster......especially since I´m all gibson these Days ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by KG6_Steven
Interesting answers, but nobody really hit it on the head.

Ideally, when you buy your first guitar, it should be the best you can afford. The logic behind that advice goes like this - Buying a cheap guitar for your first can actually do more to discourage you. They're frequently poorly set up and may not utilize the best materials and craftsmanship.

However, most people don't follow that advice, since they're afraid of losing interest. Fact is, even if you lose interest, you're better off trying to sell a more expensive guitar as opposed to a cheap one.

You could also go by the logic that if you are first starting out, buy a decent quality cheaper guitar like the TS did and if you really take to it, then upgrade. Because, if you have to sell your guitar (cheap or expensive) you are probably only going to get 50-70% of what you originally paid. So chances are you will lose more money selling a more expensive used guitar.
tuesdays are best.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
go to the store, don't look at prices or names on the headstock (obviously you will see them, but you know what i mean). play everything bring some paper to write down what you like/dislike about different guitars.

find some things you like, come back here, COME BACK and share your preferences. we have your best in mine, the salesman do not.

that will do it the best. we may have other recommendations. go there, take your time. play on an amp you are familiar with.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
go to the store, don't look at prices or names on the headstock (obviously you will see them, but you know what i mean). play everything bring some paper to write down what you like/dislike about different guitars.

find some things you like, come back here, COME BACK and share your preferences. we have your best in mine, the salesman do not.

that will do it the best. we may have other recommendations. go there, take your time. play on an amp you are familiar with.

Flat nailed it. I did this and found that oddly, I like an Epiphone Les Paul better that a Gibson Les Paul.

However, you might want to think about getting a guitar with different settings. You have a guitar with single coil pickups. You might want to think about getting a guitar with humbuckers or EMG's. But in the end, get what you want.