Page 1 of 2
I was hoping you guys could help me because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the tech details of amps like valves and stuff so i need advice

I'm looking to get a new amp for Christmas. I'm pretty much a bedroom player so nothing really loud. I want an amp that can use a footswitch.
Also i play a lot of similar stuff: Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Three Days Grace - this sort of realm of bands.

I currently have a Line 6 Spider IV
Sorry i haven't been very useful but like i said my knowledge is limited

Thanks in advance
what exactly do you mean by "bedroom volume"? I love valves but even I'd admit that if you have to play at whisper volume all the time, valve might not be the way to go.

if you don't share any walls with neighbours and can play a bit louder, IMO valve is fine (but other people disagree).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look at my review of the vibro champ xd. It's a five watt amp from Fender. It's great for bedroom playing. It is also an amp that regularly goes on sale if the price isn't rock bottom in the first place.
It also allows you to dial a voice. I noticed that your amp is a modeling amp.
How does the blackstar Ht differ from the vibrochamp/vibrolux series? I can never find one to play.
Go for a Roland Micro Cube, it's what I started with. As far as bedroom, it can play at really low volumes and sound decent, plus it has a headphone jack. And you can hook your iPod and stuff up to jam along with.
As far as tones and sounds, it comes with built in effects you can mess with and a fairly versatile sound range for what it is, definitely enough for anything you'd want to play.
Last edited by Zak Jak at Nov 17, 2013,
Most people consider the Peayey "Vyper" series far superior to the line 6 Spyders. The Vypyr 15 allows you to use Peayey's "Sampera" series of pedals, (I & II). Here in the US, The Vypyr 15 goes for about $130.00 and the smaller pedal, "Sampera I", goes for about $100.00 USD.

This amp has headphone and and CD/iPod input as well. Plus, it has acoustic & bass amp models available.

The pedal: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sanpera1MkII?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=guitars&utm_term=adwords_labelsGuitar_Amp_Accessories&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CMaD6ZaZ67oCFSdp7AodEm8AdA

The amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-vypyr-vip-1-20w-1x8-guitar-modeling-combo-amp

The page for both at Peavey: http://www.peavey.com/products/vypyrvip/

Keep in mind the pedal loop in this amp isn't a line level send and return. It requires the special "Sampera" proprietary pedal.

If you're interested, I suggest you download the manuals. This system is fairly complex.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 17, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
Most people consider the Peayey "Vyper" series far superior to the line 6 Spyders. The Vypyr 15 allows you to use Peayey's "Sampera" series of pedals, (I & II). Here in the US, The Vypyr 15 goes for about $130.00 and the smaller pedal, "Sampera I", goes for about $100.00 USD.

This amp has headphone and and CD/iPod input as well. Plus, it has acoustic & bass amp models available.

I second that opinion.

I also have a Vypyr 15 for home practice, though one of the older ones withouth the Bass and Accoustic modelled amps and with "only" 24 modelled electric guitar amps.

Now let me tell you about my experience:

You have to get used to the sound and it might be a little bit difficult to find the sound you like. And most likely it will never sound as god as any tube, simply because of its nature. My main amp is the Valve King 112 and I somehow managed to get a Valve-King-esque sound out of my Vypyr. With the 24 or 36 modelled amps, the effects and EQs the possibilities are virtually endless. However, you might concider playing via headphones when using the Vypyr. Firstly your neighbours or hoousemates will be grateful. And secondly, I figured the sound of the Vypyr 15 get much better when you used headphones instead of the tiny integrated speaker.

Peavey makes pretty good solid state / modelling amps and the Vypyr Series is probably the best they can offer. You can't go wrong buying it for bedroom pracitce.

Cheers!
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
How is your used amp market locally.

Honestly if you want anything worthwile I would go that route.

What part of Europe are you in? If you are in the UK you are in luck and are bound to find an abundance of used tube amps to choose from.

I would not get a Peavey Vypyr or a Roland cube. If you are going to look into those might as well just stick to big pile of meh you have now.

So how is the used market around your area?
well, I think you should just stay with your current amp

if its one of the lower watt spyders, then it should be a good bedroom amp. if you want to go tube, then Id suggest getting a cheap tube rack preamp or tube preamp pedal and good speakers. with those you could max out the volume(with a decent usb interface) and get the best tube tone. theres a learning curb to these, but the tones are great.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Vox AC4TV is decent little amp , 4 watt with 1 watt or 1/4 watt settings ..... At a 1/4 watt it will have tube distortion at half volume and be a touch louder than a TV , you couldn't gig with it though
I think you should save up more for a better upgrade. 250 isn't going to get you very far from where you are now.

Also it should be noted that the Vypyr 15 can not use the Sanpera footswith. That's one of the reasons I don't ever recommend them.

If you can find a used Vypyr Tube 60 with a Sanpera I or II in your budget, I would go for it.

Alternatively if you don't want a tube amp, see if you can find a used Peavey XXX 112 combo. It will get you in the ballpark of those tones. A JSX will get you even closer, but they're more expensive and bigger (212 combo only).

I owned a JSX head for a while, and I could actually get very good tones for that genre, definitely reminiscent of the actual Mesa Rectifiers that genre and those bands use. But getting up to the JSX is definitely stretching your budget I think, hence back to my original point: I think you should save up more and make your upgrade worth it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
...[ ]....Also it should be noted that the Vypyr 15 can not use the Sanpera footswith. That's one of the reasons I don't ever recommend them....[ ]....
I think you'd better check your facts. While the OLD Vypyr 15 will not work with a Sampera, THE NEW Vypy VIP I, indeed will!

I have one in my dining room. With that said, it's easier to post this link http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VypyrVIP1 than to upload photos.
The new VIP1 also is not 15W. It's 20W. They did that so they wouldn't be confused, which apparently didn't work.

I've owned 4 different Vypyrs by the way. Currently own the Tube 120H and the VIP3. I think I know a little about them.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The new VIP1 also is not 15W. It's 20W. They did that so they wouldn't be confused, which apparently didn't work.

I've owned 4 different Vypyrs by the way. Currently own the Tube 120H and the VIP3. I think I know a little about them.

With that being said, a 20 watt amp, isn't really that much louder than a 15.

The VIP Vypyr ia a bit brighter than the older model. It's probably, (at least in part), due to the semi-closed back cab.

But since "CD input & headphone jack" was used a a selling point for another amp, it's worth mentioning that both small Vypyr models have them.

Since we're trending toward a pissing contest on "I have xxx many Vypyrs", allow me to say, "I have one each of the to small Vypyrs".....(wait for it)...., and a Sampera I..

EDIT; FWIW, the cabinet/speaker combination has a lot more to do with volume , than does the amp's wattage. You can hang a 15 watt head on a 4 X12, and make a whole poop load of noise... Both of the smallest Vypyrs are 1 X 8", and that's what I'm basing the projected SPL output on.

Peavey's market strategy is somewhat of a mystery, (at least to me, which makes sense, since I don't work for them). It gives me pause to wonder if they'll continue the old line parallel with the new, or are the original Vypyrs being sold now old stock?
One would hope if the old models are to be discontinued, that they would add a tube hybrid to the VIP series.
Quote by Fumble fingers
Vox AC4TV is decent little amp , 4 watt with 1 watt or 1/4 watt settings ..... At a 1/4 watt it will have tube distortion at half volume and be a touch louder than a TV , you couldn't gig with it though

This with an overdrive pedal in front. I wish my Crate V5 was able to take it to 1/4...
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Marshall 100W plexi full stack and tell everybody to go **** themselves.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I cant believe someone is actually recommending a Vyper

Just get a Yamaha THR and call it a day.

As far as modeling goes that amp is the route to go especially if you are a bedroom player.

Plus they look really smart and they are very powerful little lunch box amps.

Just plug in and wait for the smile to pop up on your face

Peavey Vyper

GTFO
Last edited by Dunning~Kruger at Nov 17, 2013,
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Can I have your autograph?
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

As far as modeling goes that amp is the route to go especially if you are a bedroom player.

Peavey Vyper

GTFO

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Honestly dude.

If you think its going to be an upgrade to go from a line 6 to a Vyper then you are apparently lost in some fantasy world were reality is far far away.

What kind of lunacy is that.

Yeah dude Stick with your Line 6 spyder if all your going to "upgrade" to is a Vypyr.

I would even recommend getting a line 6 HD500 Pod bean to go along with your current spyder if anything. The line 6 HD500 is a multi effects unit that is far better than any Vypyr peavey horse shit or even any of the modeling and effects on your current line 6 spyder.

That unit is going to have far better effects and capabilites than the Yamaha THR and since you are a bedroom player and are just looking for something that sounds better than your current set up but with relatively the same volume.

PodHd500> Line 6 spyder, Vyper, Roland cube, Yamaha Thr, Valvetronix.

And no autographs for your asshat for having recomended such a poor option.

No more spare change for you noob.
Pod HD500 can be had for around 250 used so you are in luck.

Look one up on ebay and call it a day.

Have fun and really stay away from these guy's advice OP.

They are in some weird fantasy world that does not exist in this existensial plane.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Pod HD500 can be had for around 250 used so you are in luck.

Look one up on ebay and call it a day.

Have fun and really stay away from these guy's advice OP.

They are in some weird fantasy world that does not exist in this existensial plane.

You recommended three things to the OP and told him to call it a day twice. I think your advice is pretty ****ing moot at this point.
Quote by Captaincranky

The pedal: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sanpera1MkII?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=guitars&utm_term=adwords_labelsGuitar_Amp_Accessories&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CMaD6ZaZ67oCFSdp7AodEm8AdA

The amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-vypyr-vip-1-20w-1x8-guitar-modeling-combo-amp

The page for both at Peavey: http://www.peavey.com/products/vypyrvip/

Keep in mind the pedal loop in this amp isn't a line level send and return. It requires the special "Sampera" proprietary pedal.

If you're interested, I suggest you download the manuals. This system is fairly complex.

^This
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

And no autographs for your asshat for having recomended such a poor option....[ ]....
Should I take this to mean you really think you're "important enough(*)" to be asked for an autograph?

(*) Euphemism for "delusional".
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Wut?

The THR's are definitely cool amps, but I'd rather have a Vypyr over one any day of the week. Their only competition in the Vypyr lineup is the little 15W model . I have plenty of experience on both amps, the THR is mostly used as an iPod amp out in the garage now.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 17, 2013,
Quote by cdr_salamander
You recommended three things to the OP and told him to call it a day twice. I think your advice is pretty ****ing moot at this point.

Blah blah blah.

Listen dude if he wants to "upgrade" from a line 6 spyder to a Vyper you could join the rest of these ingrates in their frantic lunacy and love for Vyper amps.

I for one am actually trying to offer the OP a better option.

The PODHD500 throug the clean channel of the Spyder should be miles better than any of the half witted shit you guys are recommending.

You guys are missing the point entirely. A Spyder and a Vyper are pretty much on par with each other. I wouldnt say the Vyper is better and if it is its not by alot.

If he is going to upgrade to the Vyper its not going to be much of an upgrade is all I am trying to say dude.

Im sorry mate but I just dont see any sense in buying a Vyper if the OP wants something better, he might as well stay with what he has or get something like the PODHD500 bean to run in the clean channel of this Spyder.

The PODHD500 is just going to be miles better than any of the stuff you guys have recommended him and if you cant see that then I am sorry but it is true.

Also he is a bedroom player so why go with tubes or anything else?

OP really look into an PODHD500 if you want something better otherwise stay with what you have.
Wow

The Vypyr's are most definitely a superior amp to any of the Spider series, by any stretch of the imagination. The Tube Vypyr 60 sounds more like a 6505+ than the Chinese 6505+ combos

And yet you recommend a little THR, an amp that doesn't even have a proper speaker arrangement? Just....
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
Wow

The Vypyr's are most definitely a superior amp to any of the Spider series, by any stretch of the imagination. The Tube Vypyr 60 sounds more like a 6505+ than the Chinese 6505+ combos

And yet you recommend a little THR, an amp that doesn't even have a proper speaker arrangement? Just....

Aside from your obvios delusional tought that the vyper is miles better than the spyder you also overlook the fact that I am recommending the PODHD500.

The PODHD500 moddeling and effects are much better than the shit box peavey vypyr crap you have by miles if anything.

So why should he buy a vypyr over a PODHD500 noob?
No, I don't. I don't know anything about you other than that you decided you needed to announce your arrival with your own personal thread, which usually spells trouble. After that you've made a boatload of posts, most of which contained totally unnecessary insults.

I don't know how it was with the other forums you were on, but this shit won't fly here. Another post anywhere like the ones you've been making and you're gone. If you can't be civilized we don't want you here.
The HD500 is a solid processor that can hold it's own (within reason) to an Axe Fx, however the OP asked about amps and not processors. Chillax
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Aside from your obvios delusional tought that the vyper is miles better than the spyder you also overlook the fact that I am recommending the PODHD500.
Part of credibility begins with learning how to spell. You might take some time to work on yours.

The Yamaha THR series amps have 2 (two), 3.25" speakers. OK, every battery powered amp I've ever heard with drivers in that size category, has sounded like someone farting through a kazoo.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 18, 2013,
Quote by Roc8995
If you can't be civilized we don't want you here.

Ok.

Sounds good.

I can deal with that.

Thanks for being upfront I appreciate it. Aside from that I dont mind disagreeing with people, I am just used to talking a certain way and I will adjust my tone accordingly duder.
Quote by Flux'D
The HD500 is a solid processor that can hold it's own (within reason) to an Axe Fx, however the OP asked about amps and not processors. Chillax

Yeah ok, totally agree

Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Peavey Vyper

GTFO

I've read this thread twice and I really cannot tell if you're serious or not.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I've read this thread twice and I really cannot tell if you're serious or not.

Very serious.

I would take a valvetronix over those Vypyrs but its is just me.

I would say that Valvetronix/Yamaha THR/ Fender Mustang even> Vypyrs

Line 6 spyder= Vypyr not much diffrence in tone to my ears.

this is just my opinion of course and not to be taken as holy writ and scripture.

I just do not see what you guys see in those amps and to recommend one as and "upgrade" over a Line 6 spyder is very much laughable to say the least

But I wont laugh cause It does not even make for a good joke
Last edited by Dunning~Kruger at Nov 18, 2013,
Page 1 of 2